Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 05, 2004

Old     (bruce)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-29-2003, 9:17 AM Reply   
I got to counting all the people I've taught to Wakeboard and came up with 18 for Summer 2003.

Cooper, Madison, Wendy, Brad, Andrea, Chris, Jason, Brent, Lindsay, 2 from Church Youth Group, Kirk, Sonja, Rod, 2 Young Life kids, Luke, Makena. Ages 4 to 35.

How about you? Have you shared the stoke?
Old    yearling            08-29-2003, 9:21 AM Reply   
Yeah i hate teachin people all the time. Ive tought about 15 people this year. It gets old after telling them the same thing over and over. Stopping to go and pick them back up again after 2 seconds of going. It might just be me, but i think that teaching people is the most annyoinght thing ever. Especialy when it takes them all day and they still cant get up!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-29-2003, 9:26 AM Reply   
yearling, perhaps you need to modify your teaching style

i have to estimate 30 people

i really enjoy teaching new people. it is so much fun to see the look on their face when they do it and to share the enjoyment. in this millenium we are 100% getting new people up.
Old    leggester            08-29-2003, 9:26 AM Reply   
4 on the board and 2 on the foil.

Been a slow summer!
Old    a_fire_inside            08-29-2003, 9:47 AM Reply   
This is my first year on the board and I coached around 7 or 8 people up. I agree with Tim its definately worth the look on thier faces.
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-29-2003, 9:59 AM Reply   
I think that we have taught about 10 people this year and the record still stands at 2 tries before they got up. We have been able to get everyone up and i have to agree the look on their face is priceless! Our crew prides ourselves on our teaching style and vow to get everyone up that wants to try.
Old    lakesideluver            08-29-2003, 10:14 AM Reply   
thats hot randy, ive taught a couple but at my age most people would rather have a beer and watch from the dock, maybe its my crowd but hey, i taught myself does that count?
Old    upupnaway            08-29-2003, 10:24 AM Reply   
We got you beat randy....My friend chad got up the first time. He is a skinny, wiry guy, and has pretty good balance and strength. our total for teaching this year is at 8 I think.

I agree with randy about getting everyone up....It is a challange for the teacher as well as the teachee.

A never fail process that I started this year is to give them the standard knees to chest, heels to butt routine, then I give them an in-water example.
I put them behind the boat with the board against the platform. I have them assume the position and hold the handle, and I pull them up and forward with the wrap handle until they are squating on the platform. If at any time I catch them straightening their back, bending their arms, or pushing out with their legs, I let go of the handle and drop them back in the water.
Since doing this dry run, I have been very succesful very quickly.
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-29-2003, 11:27 AM Reply   
10 this year. First was a group of 4 guys... all did good except of course the 220lb guy was a bit tougher to get out of the water but he did get up a few times. Then we took out my brother, his girlfriend, my sister and my 68-year old mother. All got up around the second try. Then took out a friend and her husband - she got up first try.

We started a new process this year too. First we do an instructional, then one of us goes out there to show them how it's done, and exaggerates the crouch on top of the water before they finally stand up. Then I sit them down in the boat on the floor, give them the rope and I stand on the back and pull them up so they know what it feels like (doing this against the swim platform is a great idea). And then I stress again the key point, if they can't remember everything else I've told them, remember this one thing - don't stand before you feel the board on top of the water.

We've only once had a problem getting someone up in 4 years - that was a big guy who must have tried 30 times. That was at the beginning of our teaching career, and I'd like to think that he'd be successful today. It's a challenge getting those big guys up!
Old    upupnaway            08-29-2003, 2:33 PM Reply   
That it is...One of my buddies is 6'4" and about 250 (he says 235..) and it took him a while. curiously enough, he did great on getting up, It was the standing on the board that got him every time.
Old     (rico80)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-29-2003, 2:40 PM Reply   
I am not even going to try to count them all but I would not be exaggerating to estimate 50-60 people, ages 6 to 35. Just in the last two weeks I taught 18 people and that isn't unusual. I must be starting to get the hang of it though, I average about 2-3 tries per person and have had at least 15 get up first try.
I enjoy spreading the sport but every day I have a couple of people ask for lessons and that gets to be a lot of time and a lot of gas for not much in return. Next year I plan on running lessons out of the local boat dealer just to cover costs and stuff. Spreading the stoke, in central OHIO.
Old     (drewsy)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-29-2003, 2:41 PM Reply   
6 of my sons friends (ages 9 - 13) and two adults. I would rather teach the kidz anyday. The longest it took to get someone up was 6 tries. (6'4" 225) The kidz pop right up, one or two tries.
Old     (jmanjohn)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-29-2003, 6:59 PM Reply   
My record for one day is four. (Last Saturday)Week before 2 11 Year olds, same day. I love spreading the stoke!
Old    upupnaway            08-30-2003, 4:30 AM Reply   
We are the pushers of liquid addiction.
Old    jacob_morgan            08-30-2003, 8:05 AM Reply   
1 my sister, she now understands wat im doing isn't so 'easy' to do..

she was soar forever after that lolz