Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (CDoogles)      Join Date: Feb 2011       04-30-2012, 9:20 AM Reply   
Well folks, I finally got my stereo installed in my new MXZ. When I started this stereo project I had the following goals:

-Hear the music clearly while riding
-Minimal impact to the boat since I am hoping to sell it at the end of the season (promotional boat)
-Clean fit and finish

I met all these goals and some! I could not be happier with how it sounds, looks, operates. I am running the following equipment:

-Stock Rockford speakers and amp for the cabin. (Warranty stickers removed to get more out of the amp)
-Exile ZLD
-4 Samson S9HDs on the tower
-Harpoon amplifier running to the towers
-Exile Xi12DVC Subwoofer and Exile Xi1500.1 Amplifier

Samson did the install for the ZLD, all the amplifiers and the tower speakers. They did a great job, all the wire runs are clean, I have zero feedback or noise, and the S9HDs look so great on the tower. I built the sealed subwoofer box and kickplate myself. It was a fun project and gave me an excuse to hang out with my dad in his wood shop for a few hours. I forgot to take pics of the box when done, but it is sealed 3/4" birch plywood, sealed with rhino-liner. The kick plate is also made of 3/4" plywood and wrapped in white marine vinyl. I took out the two euro vents from the heater and ran hot snakes for more heat into the passenger area. Also added a Malibu emblem with some white LEDs. Here are a few pics of how everything turned out!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
IMG_20120426_131834
IMG_20120426_132551
Photobucket
Photobucket

Many, many thanks to Scott at Samson, Paul at Bake's Marine, and Brian at Exile for answering my thousands of questions and helping me out with this new system. Everyone who had been out on the boat has been super impressed with how it all looks and sounds! Gonna be an awesome summer!
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-30-2012, 9:28 AM Reply   
Looks fantastic. Pics of the whole boat please! Have only seen red and black ones so far.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-30-2012, 9:52 AM Reply   
Nice work. Looks great.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-30-2012, 9:55 AM Reply   
what batteries and power options are using?
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-30-2012, 10:10 AM Reply   
Nice setup. I am doing almost the exact same install on my 2012 VLX this week... only difference is the sub (I went with the factory unit).

Let us know how those S9HD's sound powered off one Harpoon. Also, how do you like the ZLD.
Old     (CDoogles)      Join Date: Feb 2011       04-30-2012, 10:28 AM Reply   
I am using the battery option 3 from the factory. I honestly haven't even looked at what batteries are in the boxes, but if I remember correctly they are just marine group 24s. I am adding an onboard charger this week to help keep them alive. I don't do a lot of just sitting and listening to music, so I think I will be able to get away with 2 batteries, or maybe just add one more to the stereo bank.

Here are a few more pics of the boat.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-30-2012, 10:37 AM Reply   
Flake FTW!!! Sweet looking boat!
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       04-30-2012, 10:56 AM Reply   
That last shot is BOSS
Old     (hyperlite_boards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-30-2012, 11:04 AM Reply   
this thread makes me sad
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-30-2012, 11:08 AM Reply   
dang that thing is money.
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-30-2012, 12:05 PM Reply   
Nice looking BU.

That sub setup looks super nice the way you finished the cover plate off to match the interior. Overall, how's it sound? Glad to hear you like the ZLD. We've been receiving a lot of happy feedback about those preamp eq's.

I'm sure I'll see you out on the water. Love to see first hand and your boat isn't to hard to miss.

Cheers

-Brian
Exile Audio
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-30-2012, 12:48 PM Reply   
Install looks great but how's your DirecTv signal?
Old     (CDoogles)      Join Date: Feb 2011       04-30-2012, 12:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianinpdx View Post
Nice looking BU.

That sub setup looks super nice the way you finished the cover plate off to match the interior. Overall, how's it sound? Glad to hear you like the ZLD. We've been receiving a lot of happy feedback about those preamp eq's.

I'm sure I'll see you out on the water. Love to see first hand and your boat isn't to hard to miss.

Cheers

-Brian
Exile Audio
Brian, everything is sounding great. The ZLD is a dream. Mine is mounted right under the stock Rockford stereo and it is so nice to just be able to quickly turn a knob to adjust things around when a song changes or we are changing speeds, etc. Great job on the product!

The system sounds great. I need to fine tune things a little more, but I have no real complaints. Everyone who has heard it has been very impressed. Considering this is really one of the more basic installs I couldn't be happier.

Thanks again!
Old     (mastercraf)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-30-2012, 1:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb View Post
Install looks great but how's your DirecTv signal?
one of the funniest "background spots" I've seen in a while!
Old     (CDoogles)      Join Date: Feb 2011       04-30-2012, 1:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercraf View Post
one of the funniest "background spots" I've seen in a while!
I had to go back and see what you meant! Now I get it... Yeah I was temporarily staging my boat at a buddies house prior to putting it in the water. I think he switched to comcast...not sure if that was before or after the poor reception issues
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-30-2012, 1:32 PM Reply   
HAHAHA! Sorry, I saw that and couldn't resist! Boat and stereo look great!
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-30-2012, 3:24 PM Reply   
I love the color scheme on this boat, very different and very cool
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-30-2012, 3:36 PM Reply   
NIce clean install with great products. What more could you want? I really like the lit Malibu emblem on the kick plate.
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-30-2012, 5:12 PM Reply   
Life is good!!Dig that steering wheel .
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       04-30-2012, 6:12 PM Reply   
Sweet Boat.
Old     (CDoogles)      Join Date: Feb 2011       05-03-2012, 8:51 AM Reply   
I just remembered that I snapped a few in the water shots with the sun out on my waterproof camera a few weeks back. This was before the stereo install, but boy does she sparkle!!!!