Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old     (tshmitty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-29-2004, 6:36 PM Reply   
I'm looking for an inexpensive bimini for my 2002 Supra SSV, but can't seem to find anything under $700.00. Anyone have any suggestions on where to find one? I don't need anything fancy, but want one that matches my boat.

If anyone out there has a used one, I would be interested also.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-29-2004, 8:16 PM Reply   
There are many bimini manufactures that can do one for ya. Do a google search. You can get one for about 250, but it is NOT going to be a tower mounted one. If you want one that mounts to the tower, and not the hull, then you are going to have to shell out 600-700 bucks. I tried everything and every reputable online dealer only to find this out. Went with a hull mount system (standard) and it works just dandy.
Old     (tshmitty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-29-2004, 8:20 PM Reply   
Andrew,

Thanks for the advice!

Does it look good with it mounted to the hull? You wouldn't happen to have any pics, or the company name from where you purchased it at, do you?

I want it to look good and had seen a couple of companies that were pretty inexpesive, but I really want to see pics.

Thanks!
Old     (tjhooker)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-29-2004, 8:36 PM Reply   
I bought a bimini from Adlee Boat Covers last year. It is great it it was under $700. They shipped it to me I think all together for $630. You can see my bimini in my profile.
http://adleecoversboats.com/
Old     (tshmitty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-29-2004, 8:47 PM Reply   
Sweet!

That looks pretty nice! Looks like pretty good quality too.

I'll call them tomm. .

Thanks Mike!
Old    zboomer            06-30-2004, 5:46 AM Reply   
This brings up an interesting subject, why the heck are tower-mounted bimini's so expensive? I have a Supra Sunbrella tower-mounted bimini on my SSV, and other than having a little shorter legs (because it mounts higher), and velcro straps to hold it to the tower when folded, it's the exact same as my regular bimini was on my Prostar.

I just don't see why tower-mounted bimini's are so damn expensive. If you had a regular bimini that was a little shorter than usual, and the correct width, it would mount to the tower just like mine does, and be $200 less expensive.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-30-2004, 11:05 AM Reply   
see my comments on this thread:
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/99980.html
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-30-2004, 11:10 AM Reply   
hmm, links don't appear to be working. try this:
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tracetrimble/album?.dir=/bd9f
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-30-2004, 11:33 AM Reply   
Chris,

I just added a tower to my boat and found that the bimini I had would no longer fit. The thought of $700 for a custom tower bimini didn't sit well with me. Figuring I had nothing to lose by trying to modify my old bimini to fit, I took a hack saw to it.

I was able to cut down the frame to fit under the tower. I had to take about 14 inches out of the middle of the frame.

I then bought some new Top Gun fabric at a local wholesaler. I spent about $35 for enough material to cover my needs. I took the old fabric to a seamstress (my mother) to use as a pattern. She just had to make it narrower to fit the new sized frame.

Long story short, for $35 I have a custom tower bimini that fits and looks awesome. My suggestion to you is to search E-bay for a used bimini close to the width you need. It doesn't matter if it's too wide as you will be able to trim it to fit with a hack saw.

It also doesn't matter what color the fabric is either. You can always buy new fabric and take it to a professional seamstress (not my mother) who should be able to sew you up a new one for little $$$. Just keep the old one to use as a pattern.

Finally, you can buy whatever mounting hardware you need just about any place that sells marine supplies.

Moral of the story.....Never pay $700 for a bimini!
Old    jaweitekamp            06-30-2004, 12:25 PM Reply   
I still have a used bimini I tried to get rid of a while back that I'll sell ya.. I had it sold on ebay but the shipping was around $90 so the buyer didn't want it.

bimini top
Old     (tshmitty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-30-2004, 12:51 PM Reply   
$90.00 for shipping??? That is incredible!
Old    jaweitekamp            06-30-2004, 1:13 PM Reply   
problem was the size it was like 3 inches more in girth than what UPS allows. The $90 quote was from DHL. I have a Friend who's Mom works for UPS and told him about it and he said whenever I have this problem again to let him know. She might be able to back door it.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-30-2004, 3:03 PM Reply   
The bows of the frame should be two or three pieces riveted or screwed together, not one solid piece. You may be able to take apart each bow which would allow you break them down to fit in a smaller box. Just label each piece so the person buying it will know what goes to what.

If they are riveted you can drill out the rivets and replace with screws. The screws will hold the bows together just fine.
Old     (tshmitty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-30-2004, 3:13 PM Reply   
Anyone have pics of there custom bimini's? I might just buy the frame and try and make a custom bimini.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-01-2004, 7:08 AM Reply   
I will try and take some pics of mine this weekend.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-01-2004, 8:02 AM Reply   
from my links above:
bimini

i just measured the inside of the tower legs where the bimini would ride, and ordered the correct-width top. the only mod i had to make was cutting the legs a little shorter. i also got a 6' long top, and it shades almost the entire interior of my VLX.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-01-2004, 8:06 AM Reply   
from my links above:
bimini
i just measured the inside of the tower legs where the bimini would ride, and ordered the correct-width top. the only mod i had to make was cutting the legs a little shorter. i also got a 6' long top, and it shades almost the entire interior of my VLX.
Old     (sup208)      Join Date: May 2004       07-01-2004, 9:42 AM Reply   
I bought a bimini on ebay for a SANTE and am in the process of cutting it down to fit inside my tower. This bimini was desgined to mount to the gunwales and is 6 feet long. The width (54") is perfect for me so I am converting it from 3 bow 6 ft to a 2 bow 52" length. I figure it will cost me less than $300 by the time I am done and will have all stainless steel hardware