Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (d_h_wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-05-2012, 6:57 PM Reply   
Hey guys, Im 150lbs, and around 5'8". I am currently looking into a new board. What would be the ideal size for me? I currently ride the 135 Assault, but the landings are just to hard. Im leaning to a 138 board.... is that to big?
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-05-2012, 7:10 PM Reply   
Not at all. Bigger is better.
Old     (d_h_wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-05-2012, 7:13 PM Reply   
When you say bigger is better.... Wouldn't the feel start to become awkward as my stance would seem narrower on the board? and id have more tip and tail on each side of the board.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-05-2012, 8:45 PM Reply   
I'm not that much taller than you, and I ride all the way out on my own 138, and on my Dad's 142, and I honestly cant feel a difference in the stance width. What I can feel is the board riding higher in the water and popping me way higher. I ride a weighted I/O, and even off that tiny wake I notice a big difference. The stance width difference between boards is probably somewhere around an inch or two. That little difference wont give you noticeably more tip or tail to deal with, but the extra few inches in board length (and extra width) will give you a totally different feel. You'll love a 138.
Old     (d_h_wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-05-2012, 9:18 PM Reply   
Thanks dude!
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-06-2012, 7:39 AM Reply   
Depending on the boards you may or may not feel much of a difference on a 135-138, but that is really about the Ideal size range for you.

For example, I ride a 138 district, but the 138 One feels tiny. I can ride a 142 one, but the 143 district feels like a battleship. There are a lot of factors to consider like stablitity and surface area.

I always advise people find a shape that suits them well and ride it in the largest size you feel comfortable on. If you feel torn between two size, go up.

Hopefully that is helpful...