Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-29-2011, 9:48 AM Reply   
I just thought I would post this on here just in case someone might know what to try next.
My brother in law recently bought a 2003 Calabria ProV, from a seller on Wakeworld actually. Thing has been a great boat for him the last few weeks and everything has worked great.

Last weekend however they parked the boat for a while and when they went to leave it wouldn't start. Well it would start and then immediately die after a few seconds. Eventually they got towed in.

I have tried to help in trouble shoot the problem but to no avail.

1. Checked gas tank vent (even left the gas cap off and tried to start)
2. Checked the screen in the tank (clear)
3. Fuel pump seems to be engaging.

I finally brought a fuel pressure gauge to check, and sure enough it was only showing 9, way to low. So before I have in buy a $200 fuel pump which looks like it will be a PITA to replace on the Merc Fuel cool thing. I thought I would look for suggestions.

There is a vacuum line that is coming of the fuel pressure regulator that goes to no where. It looks like it has been that way for a while though. If any calabria owners that have the base TOW engine want to check where that line goes that would be awesome! Thanks for your help.
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-29-2011, 10:09 AM Reply   
I will look at mine when I get home and let you know. Did you by chance look at the the fuel filters just to make sure they are ok and not full of junk.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-29-2011, 10:12 AM Reply   
I had him replace the fuel water separator and check the screen in the tank. If there is another fuel filter I would love to know where to look.
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-29-2011, 10:28 AM Reply   
seems like I saw another one on the wall back by the v drive should be a silver in line filter. (I believe that is what it is but not a 100% sure.) I tried to call Bob at Calabria they did not awnswer, that might be some one you can call they are very nice and helpful.
Old     (Rad_Matty_D)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-29-2011, 10:29 AM Reply   
The soonest I can check is this weekend. But I'll take a look when I get to my boat.

Thanks for the heads up. in the future for me!

Last edited by Rad_Matty_D; 06-29-2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: text
Old     (SteveW)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-29-2011, 1:34 PM Reply   
On my Merc engine the vacuum line runs from the fuel pressure regulator on up to the base of the throttle body unit or whatever its called since its not really a throttle body since I have MPI...LOL
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-30-2011, 8:45 AM Reply   
Guys I want to thank you for the replies but we were the victim of something simple like it usually is. Bad Gas. MY brother in law bought the boat with 3/4 a tank and filled it up once we got back to Oklahoma. Has had it out about three four times but not much riding since it has been so windy here.

The boat ran great all those times so I didn't think about bad gas. When we were out there yesterday to inspect the screen in the tank i pulled the line up so it wasn't sitting on the bottom and told him to give it another try. Sure enough it started up. Drain all the gas and put fresh gas in and it runs like a champ.

Can't believe I didn't think about that but since it ran so well the other times we have had it out I didn't think of it.

Lesson to anybody when they buy a used boat. Be careful of the gas, no telling how long it has been sitting in there.

Still curious about his regulator line though.
Old     (sodaksooner)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-30-2011, 10:29 AM Reply   
J. Glad you guys found it. My VLX is kind of doing the same thing, although I think it is fuel filter. Will look at the screen in the tank too. Gets plenty of fuel at idle and no load, but put the power to it in gear, and will not get above 2500 RPM. Just bought a new filter and a Fuel pressure test kit, so hopefully that will solve the problem. I have run a couple of tanks this year (not out as much as I like) so I don't think it is fuel. Oh, make sure you are running non-ethanol in that one... Mine died saturday and just now getting time to look at it. I did make it back to the dock though.