Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       12-13-2016, 11:45 AM Reply   
Cause apparently we're getting one. Dec 14th, 330 pm

Money's on a gs22
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-13-2016, 11:47 AM Reply   
We should be saying this about MC if anyone
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       12-13-2016, 12:06 PM Reply   
Yes GS22. No big deal
Old     (Connolly_Crew)      Join Date: Mar 2016       12-13-2016, 12:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
Cause apparently we're getting one. Dec 14th, 330 pm

Money's on a gs22

You are correct.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-13-2016, 12:32 PM Reply   
why not? I hope they keep pushing all these G's out so there will be plenty in the secondary market.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-13-2016, 12:41 PM Reply   
Yep come on used G market!!!!!!
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-13-2016, 3:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
Yep come on used G market!!!!!!
No kidding! http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...ion-102836298/
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-13-2016, 4:53 PM Reply   
Isn't the GS22 the replacement for the SAN210/230?
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-13-2016, 11:39 PM Reply   
The 22 ft gap is missing completely from nautique line. It was a huge jump from 210/230.

G21-g23.

A 22 is a much needed boat in their line if you ask me.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-14-2016, 12:16 AM Reply   
Just completing the GS line for people who does not need a G. I'm personally waiting for the GS24. Not as hardcore as the G23/G25, but a good performer for the family days.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       12-14-2016, 5:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
The 22 ft gap is missing completely from nautique line. It was a huge jump from 210/230.

G21-g23.

A 22 is a much needed boat in their line if you ask me.
The 21 is a 21'6", imo it's kinda covered....

None of these new boats are a true 21 anymore which is kind of disappointing.except maybe the 21vlx.

You can have 20 or a boat 21.5ft to 22.5ft in the 21 or 22 foot class, for anything fresh and new
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       12-14-2016, 7:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_rider View Post
We should be saying this about MC if anyone
Or maybe Malibu.........

MC-all lines= 11 Boats including ski
Nautique= 8 boats including ski
Skiers choice= 8 boats, no ski
Malibu/axis= 15 boats including ski
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-14-2016, 12:12 PM Reply   
shouldn't nautique include centurion models?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       12-14-2016, 12:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
shouldn't nautique include centurion models?
As well as supreme
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-14-2016, 12:24 PM Reply   
Supreme has 5 models
centurion has 3

looks like each will have their own brand and models for 2017. will they consolidate them in 2018?
Old     (team_o)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-14-2016, 12:48 PM Reply   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy_EJBNPKPs
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-14-2016, 2:47 PM Reply   
Well actually this is the first time I felt any boat would be worthy of my upgrade $$$ in 10 years since buying my Nautique 211. If you only wakeboard, wakesurf, and tube, then NO there are plenty of boats on the market. However if you do any water skiing or barefooting the crossover offerings have been slim, non-existent, or huge compromises (as is my 211). The boat manufacturers have proven it's easy to make a wide beam or deep V boat that makes huge wakes for big wake sports but none of them have done much for creating a boat that can do both flat wake and big wake sports. So much so that I owned both a ski boat and a wake boat for the better part of the last 8 years. My ski boat only got used a couple times in 2015 so I sold it this year.

It will be interesting to see if this really delivers what it the marking material claims.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-14-2016, 3:30 PM Reply   
Mikeski

You making a comeback ???? Been while since I've seen you posting
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-14-2016, 4:28 PM Reply   
Looks like a great boat but it still comes in at 4750 pounds dry. That is still going to put out a solid Wake even at slalom speeds.

A true crossover is going to need to weigh about 3000 lbs, have another 3000-4000lbs of ballast and a two speed transmission for surf and slalom speeds. Harsh reality is that once you have it propped for max ballast, it's too low for slalom or barefoot. Prob 97" beam as well.

Still, I like the thought.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-15-2016, 6:43 AM Reply   
And now here we have a legit "GAMECHANGER" that will be "BLURRING THE LINES" due to the fact it is a huge, deep 22ft'r with a 6ft 8 clearance while sitting on the trailer.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-15-2016, 8:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
And now here we have a legit "GAMECHANGER" that will be "BLURRING THE LINES" due to the fact it is a huge, deep 22ft'r with a 6ft 8 clearance while sitting on the trailer.
Agreed completely. Just for an example, Mastercraft does not make a single vdrive that fits under a 7' door. (differing opions on if an NXT20 with a dual axel will fit, supposedly it is right at 84") The GS series proves you don't have to have a tall tugboat to get a decent wake.

Very few boats from other manufacturers fit under a 7' door; maybe this will spawn more truly garage friendly boats. (MC claimed the XT20 is garage friendly, sorry but at 7'8" on a trailer I don't agree)
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-15-2016, 8:49 AM Reply   
I'm not a fan of the super-beam boats, personally. They drive like crap and the wakes are just too steep. I can go bigger with more control off a well shaped wake with good transition and firm lip. I see very few amateur riders riding the Gs, M235, ASR very well. They are just not very forgiving, but great for double flips.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       12-15-2016, 12:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
I'm not a fan of the super-beam boats, personally. They drive like crap and the wakes are just too steep. I can go bigger with more control off a well shaped wake with good transition and firm lip. I see very few amateur riders riding the Gs, M235, ASR very well. They are just not very forgiving, but great for double flips.
If you think all super deep boats drive like crap, get behind the wheel of a 2nd gen Supra SA.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-15-2016, 12:26 PM Reply   
^^^I have. They drive just as good as the G.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-15-2016, 1:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieK27 View Post
Agreed completely. Just for an example, Mastercraft does not make a single vdrive that fits under a 7' door. (differing opions on if an NXT20 with a dual axel will fit, supposedly it is right at 84") The GS series proves you don't have to have a tall tugboat to get a decent wake.

Very few boats from other manufacturers fit under a 7' door; maybe this will spawn more truly garage friendly boats. (MC claimed the XT20 is garage friendly, sorry but at 7'8" on a trailer I don't agree)
I'm not really sure why it matters if you can fit a boat in a 7ft garage or not. Most modern houses don't have 7ft garage doors and if they do, a 22ft boat is too long to fit in it anyway. So its not working regardless.

Most people that are going to purchase the GS which is going to be 100K plus boat, will have a garage that is taller than 8ft. or it will be on a lift/storage shed.

I still don't get how CC hasn't come out with Clamping board racks and a better Bimini design because for that money both should be better. .
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-15-2016, 2:05 PM Reply   
Where is the Pic's of Dudes with G tattoos?
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-15-2016, 2:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez71 View Post
I'm not really sure why it matters if you can fit a boat in a 7ft garage or not. Most modern houses don't have 7ft garage doors and if they do, a 22ft boat is too long to fit in it anyway. So its not working regardless.

Most people that are going to purchase the GS which is going to be 100K plus boat, will have a garage that is taller than 8ft. or it will be on a lift/storage shed.

I still don't get how CC hasn't come out with Clamping board racks and a better Bimini design because for that money both should be better. .
They now have 2 different options for racks without bungees . One from Roswell. One from PTM. Nautique R &D really is keen on "locking " boards in place and preventing an accidental board release . That's more their focus than focusing quick realease racks. Not saying it's right or wrong. Just their philosophy from what I've been told
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-15-2016, 2:24 PM Reply   
Quote:

Most modern houses? Clearly you operate on Mastercraft logic....

Apparently the suburbs of Chicago are really behind the times with house building and our 7' doors. I Love wake world brologic....
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-15-2016, 2:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
I'm not really sure why it matters if you can fit a boat in a 7ft garage or not.
***NEWSFLASH*** people store their boats in the garage
You can continue to be unsure all you want, it's f'n retarded that boats/towers are designed without keeping this in mind.

I made sure I had room in my garage when I built my house, 25' long on one side with a 7' opening. Makers are designing boats with big ballast, sound systems, etc. Let's put at least 5 minutes of thought into overall height with tower down!
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-15-2016, 2:50 PM Reply   
Lot of people would park the cars outside the garage to store the boat in. People tend to forget that there are plenty of boaters without lakefront property. Looking for something toweable and garageable. Lake rights and lift owners I would venture are in the minority overall. Foldable toungues and quick release platforms allow for easier storage. Lots of lake properties have HOA's. Lots of HOA's have rules against boats on driveways, not cars . Even in my scenario having lake property, a lift , my boat hits the garage muliple times a year . And expecting someone to have a huge house just because they purchase a nice boat is a poor assumption. Lots of people make different sacrifices to own a high end towboat.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-15-2016, 2:59 PM Reply   
^ just when I think WW couldn't get any dumber someone comes on here and totally redeems my fath by making total sense and logic at the same time
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-15-2016, 5:22 PM Reply   
^^yep....my car is parked outside and my boat is nice and snug in the garage. Also, I purposely bought a less expensive house so I could afford my boating habit....and I would not buy a boat that wouldn't fit in my garage.
Old     (K_Dubbs)      Join Date: Feb 2015       12-15-2016, 5:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixable View Post
Or maybe Malibu.........

MC-all lines= 11 Boats including ski

Nautique= 8 boats including ski

Skiers choice= 8 boats, no ski

Malibu/axis= 15 boats including ski

Skiers choice = 8 boats no ski 🏽🏽 I think we found the winner.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       12-15-2016, 5:27 PM Reply   
Quote:

Sorry but if it is anything like the 20 it's not as deep as you might think. Hence the reason it may fit in 7ft garage.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-15-2016, 8:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Most modern houses? Clearly you operate on Mastercraft logic....

Apparently the suburbs of Chicago are really behind the times with house building and our 7' doors. I Love wake world brologic....

All the houses being Built in Louisiana are 8 ft doors and not deep enough to house a 22ft boat.

What is Mastercraft Logic, please explain? This should be a classic WakeWorld Brologic at its finest.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-15-2016, 8:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
***NEWSFLASH*** people store their boats in the garage

You can continue to be unsure all you want, it's f'n retarded that boats/towers are designed without keeping this in mind.

I made sure I had room in my garage when I built my house, 25' long on one side with a 7' opening. Makers are designing boats with big ballast, sound systems, etc. Let's put at least 5 minutes of thought into overall height with tower down!

Just curious why build a house brand new and limit yourself with a 7' door?

Sounds like you could have used 5 minutes of thought into your house design.

We just built a house and an 8ft door was standard and this is by no mean a big house. I don't plan on keeping my boat at my house but even if I did the garage would have to be twice the size.

All I'm saying is that a 20' boat is more reasonable to put in a garage but at 22' you're going to be hard pressed to find many homes that a newer boat model would fit in the garage.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-15-2016, 9:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
All the houses being Built in Louisiana are 8 ft doors and not deep enough to house a 22ft boat.

What is Mastercraft Logic, please explain? This should be a classic WakeWorld Brologic at its finest.
All the houses. Every one of them in an entire state, 8' doors. Sorry, but that's bs.

I do find it adorable you are willing to fight this "7 foot door clearance doesn't matter" battle on two different websites. You keep telling yourself it doesn't matter, and the rest of us will keep laughing.

Or maybe just stick to teamtalk, independent thought seems to be limited there. Mastercraft doesn't make a vdrive that fits under a 7' door, therefore it must be an unnecessary constraint....

(If anyone wants a laugh, go check out the gs22 thread on teamtalk. One poster actually says we should be thankful our towers fold at all, because the one on his MC csx doesnt. Seriously, can't make this crap up. Take a wild guess who agreed with him...)

Last edited by MattieK27; 12-15-2016 at 9:41 PM.
Old     (BurnMac42)      Join Date: May 2015       12-16-2016, 5:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Just curious why build a house brand new and limit yourself with a 7' door?

Sounds like you could have used 5 minutes of thought into your house design.

We just built a house and an 8ft door was standard and this is by no mean a big house. I don't plan on keeping my boat at my house but even if I did the garage would have to be twice the size.

All I'm saying is that a 20' boat is more reasonable to put in a garage but at 22' you're going to be hard pressed to find many homes that a newer boat model would fit in the garage.
I just built this year and guess what...this particular builder puts in 7 ft doors....just because it's what came standard with your house doesn't mean it applies across the country nor are all builders "custom" builders that allow you to alter blueprints to your personal design.

Trust me, I tried every angle to put in a 8-9 ft door (and I will be this spring) but the builder would not do it....
Old     (BurnMac42)      Join Date: May 2015       12-16-2016, 5:31 AM Reply   
I know I've posted this in other posts but Tige R20s, R21s, and Z1's fit under 7 ft doors. I also measured an Axis T22 and A22 and with the tower folded right they would fit as well...

HOA forces me to store mine in the garage...

Just some options for guys who don't live in the state of LA.......

Last edited by BurnMac42; 12-16-2016 at 5:36 AM.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-16-2016, 5:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnMac42 View Post
I just built this year and guess what...this particular builder puts in 7 ft doors....just because it's what came standard with your house doesn't mean it applies across the country nor are all builders "custom" builders that allow you to alter blueprints to your personal design.

Trust me, I tried every angle to put in a 8-9 ft door (and I will be this spring) but the builder would not do it....
That is wild that they wouldn't allow you to out in an 8ft door even if you offered to pay more.

Our home was not custom built but you had 5 or 6 plans to choose from and then you could add upgrades to it. If choose a the Garage size could range from 7-9 and you had to pay extra for 9.

Every house built in our neighborhood has 8 and some with 9.

I do a lot of engineering design with the Builder and he ended up ditching the 7ft door in the new subdivision that he is developing.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-16-2016, 6:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
All the houses. Every one of them in an entire state, 8' doors. Sorry, but that's bs.

I do find it adorable you are willing to fight this "7 foot door clearance doesn't matter" battle on two different websites. You keep telling yourself it doesn't matter, and the rest of us will keep laughing.

Or maybe just stick to teamtalk, independent thought seems to be limited there. Mastercraft doesn't make a vdrive that fits under a 7' door, therefore it must be an unnecessary constraint....

(If anyone wants a laugh, go check out the gs22 thread on teamtalk. One poster actually says we should be thankful our towers fold at all, because the one on his MC csx doesnt. Seriously, can't make this crap up. Take a wild guess who agreed with him...)
I'm glad that you find it adorable. Apparently independent thought is lacking in any of your responses because you have an inability to think rational.

If being able to fit in a 7ft garage is a big deal to so many, then why aren't more manufactures building boats that fit the 7ft constraint.

Yes a 20-21ft boat could be designed to fit in that size garage, but once you get to 22-23 ft, your not going to find many that will, yes they may clear the height, the length is the problem. Shoot my crew cad Silverado barley fits in my 8ft garage.

Developers are build houses to fit as many as they can in a subdivision and the garage suffers.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-16-2016, 7:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
I'm glad that you find it adorable. Apparently independent thought is lacking in any of your responses because you have an inability to think rational.

If being able to fit in a 7ft garage is a big deal to so many, then why aren't more manufactures building boats that fit the 7ft constraint.

Yes a 20-21ft boat could be designed to fit in that size garage, but once you get to 22-23 ft, your not going to find many that will, yes they may clear the height, the length is the problem. Shoot my crew cad Silverado barley fits in my 8ft garage.

Developers are build houses to fit as many as they can in a subdivision and the garage suffers.
Let me get this straight. A person who claims ALL new house being build in an entire state have an 8' garage door is stating I have an inability to think rationally? Oh MastercraftDave, you slay me...

I think the fact that Malibu, Nautique, and Supreme are advertising specific boats being able to fit under 7' doors is a clue that it might be a bigger deal than you can grasp.

(And for the record, my house has a 7' garage door and 24 feet of depth; crazy huh? I know, I know, I'm a complete moron for not throwing a tantrum and getting an 8' door, even though they aren't allowed in the subdivision. If only we all had your clout Dave...)

Last edited by MattieK27; 12-16-2016 at 7:08 AM.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-16-2016, 7:29 AM Reply   
Does anyone here actually wakeboard any more or just piss-fight over boats, docks, garages, careers, politics, man-caves and other non-handle in the hand bull****.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       12-16-2016, 7:54 AM Reply   
You mean like this

Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-16-2016, 9:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Yes a 20-21ft boat could be designed to fit in that size garage, but once you get to 22-23 ft, your not going to find many that will, yes they may clear the height, the length is the problem.
huh?
Old     (BurnMac42)      Join Date: May 2015       12-16-2016, 10:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatTexasBoy View Post
You mean like this

Haha man I wanted an RV garage door so bad....when I lived in Utah a ton of the houses had em....they just don't offer em here in Ohio though

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the 24 acres that sits next to my house and the old gentlemen who owns it that hates our housing developer will consider selling me some so I can build my dream pole barn eventually...
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-16-2016, 10:55 AM Reply   
From videos I've seen on YT this GS22 is no crossover for barefooting. It's got sidespray blasting the area a boom would put a footer even with a couple boom extensions.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-16-2016, 11:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Does anyone here actually wakeboard any more or just piss-fight over boats, docks, garages, careers, politics, man-caves and other non-handle in the hand bull****.
I know a few people on this thread that ride all the time.. Believe it or not - boats, docks, garages, careers and even politics actually have a pretty big effect on how much riding I get to do every year.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       12-16-2016, 3:45 PM Reply   
Can this thread be renamed "The 7ft garage door-thread" please? With the Nautique GS22 playing a minor part in it.
Which I think is not looking bad, but the bow kills it for me. And I saw some photos on Planet Nautique where it had some humongous racks. Which did NOT look good. At all. Plus supposedly they're 3K for a pair. NOT sane.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-18-2016, 3:27 PM Reply   
Swat guy, I don't have the time these days to post as much as I did 10 years ago when my boat was new. Also my basis is not as relevant as it was before, plus I'm simply getting too old!

I hope to get behind one of these at some point this coming summer. A couple months ago I spent a week at a high end resort in Antigua. They had a Nautique 200 they used for slalom and tubing, and a Nautique G21 for wake boarding and surfing. We spent quite a bit of time in and behind both boats. I gained a new level of appreciation for the new technology of the current boats.

I can't reasonably tow two boats to the lake. These days we frequently take another family of four with my family of four. We all pile 8 in my 3 row Chevy Tahoe and spend the day together. The kids love it. Both of my kids are boarding and skiing now. I still take a slalom run whenever we can find smooth water, do a couple barefoot runs to complete the "mikeski show" too if water and time permit. This is what my world looks like today. Having a slightly larger boat with better wake control seems to be what this GS22 is about and I am clearly in the target demographic.

I wouldn't plan to take this boat to the slalom course, I have access to a couple different private lakes with good slalom boats for that. Footing off the boom is great but I prefer to foot with an 80' rope. At this stage in my life it's more about enjoying what I know hot to do versus learning something new.

One thing that impressed me about the G21 was the ability to make the boarding wake clean and mellow for the middle aged wives. The boat just made better wakes for my wife and for me. It was drama free and quick enough to transition so the guest boater would not even realize the boat had transition from big wake to small wake. This is great when you have guests who want to do different activities.

I believe a big heavy boat can be designed to make a reasonably small wake, they just need to control how the wake converges. I don't yet know how successful they will be doing this with this boat but I am staying open minded. For me barefooting has to do more with speed than clean water. Heck, I've even barefoot behind a jetboat. It was a bet, I won the bet, and it was not even that bad with a good driver who helped get me out of the wake quickly (my college roommate had a jet boat). My 211 tops out at 39 with me footing, at 200lbs with my hacker barefoot form I need a solid 42 to do 1 footers. I get oh so close then the foot just goes below the surface and the impressive tumble follows. I've done that about 20 times in the last 10 years. Choosing the available 450hp power plant and aggressively pitched prop could put the GS22 over that magical 42mph needed for the one foot show to make a comeback?

Stay tuned!

Last edited by mikeski; 12-18-2016 at 3:31 PM.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-18-2016, 9:35 PM Reply   
There's no better show for the people in the boat than having someone foot on the boom.
Old     (kenv)      Join Date: May 2002       12-19-2016, 1:11 AM Reply   
Come on....there's no better show then watching someone REALLY foot behind a boat.....longline.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-19-2016, 9:10 AM Reply   
I doubt it'll run 42. I guess it's a crossover boat for barefooting like any boat is that can get to speed....but can it even get there?
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-19-2016, 9:28 AM Reply   
this guy is considered REALLY good...boom show go BOOM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy3sa7BP58M
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-19-2016, 8:32 PM Reply   
I footed long line behind our Mojo this year. I run the 2075 prop and 345 motor. Yeah it was screaming but its definitely doable.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-19-2016, 10:07 PM Reply   
I'm never that impressed by the guys doing boom tricks and stunts with high booms where most of their weight is being supported by boom with their feet lightly skimming across the water. I've never seen a barefoot tournament done off a high boom. Not saying these guys are not much better than me. From a skill level I put most boom footing right up there with tubing.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-20-2016, 12:27 AM Reply   
With the 450 it should make the 42mph... how much power should we need?
I like your view of it Mike and I'm with you. I like the GS serie, it is not as big and bulky as many of today's wakeboats, would really work for families (2 small children with more and more friends). The 230 was good for us, the G is too much for us. This will fit the bill.

Or wait for the GS24?
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-20-2016, 9:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeski View Post
I'm never that impressed by the guys doing boom tricks and stunts with high booms where most of their weight is being supported by boom with their feet lightly skimming across the water. I've never seen a barefoot tournament done off a high boom. Not saying these guys are not much better than me. From a skill level I put most boom footing right up there with tubing.
Now I know exactly why you can't do a 1 foot. Having that attitude about a boom and boom skiing won't let you progress.
Old     (kenv)      Join Date: May 2002       12-20-2016, 11:31 PM Reply   
Tom...we would like a little more power to get that top end up a bit. Me personally...I sink footing at 42....need about 44/45 to feel comfortable. I would like to be able to do everything I want behind my boat..or one boat. My BIGGEST and ONLY complaint about my G21 is the top speed. Heck...I barely show 40....by myself with half a tank. This boat could easily be geared to do everything on need out of the hole...low end..and still give me 45 on the top end. Again...not asking for 50....please just 45...LOL
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-21-2016, 12:58 AM Reply   
Kenv, I understand it. A crossover should make the 45. Our 230 hits 43 on propane, but we only barefoot once or twice a year and never single footed.
Perhaps ask on Planet Nautique for this info.
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-21-2016, 6:59 AM Reply   
Sorry....a 4750 lb boat + fuel + passengers + gear is really at least 5500 lbs. I think you can get that to 45 mph but will be approaching WOT and won't be able to surf with the extra 3500 lbs ballast it's going to need.

Crossover existed when there was no surfing since you can still have a great time on just a mediocre wake. Surfing and barefoot are nearly mutually exclusive on the same boat unless you start employing extreme measures such as running WOT or putting fat sacks all over the place. In the end, it just too big of a pain or too hard on the engine or both.

I would love to be proved wrong though.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       12-21-2016, 3:40 PM Reply   
"Surfing and barefoot are nearly mutually exclusive on the same boat"....I don't think this is true anymore. 4 years ago we surfed easily behind a ski specific boat. This boat easily could barefoot, obviously. And back then we did lean the boat with sacs. But these days they could have subfloor ballast that is empty when barefoot and skiing, and surf system and wake plates would allow even better wakes.
Old     (kenv)      Join Date: May 2002       12-24-2016, 8:34 PM Reply   
Exactly Scott...as my G21 has sub floor ballast. That's why I got it...so I never had to put bag or weight anywhere in this boat to be able to surf. And obviously...I don't care about surfing with ballasts empty if I wanted to try and foot. My boat is NOT considered a crossover and I still feel it could pump just another 5 or 6 mph out of it. I don't foot a lot...but when I want to....I want to be ABLE to......
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-26-2016, 10:57 AM Reply   
It's weight. Once you get it to 9000 lbs surfing weight you need a power prop. That same prop won't quite cut it at barefoot speeds. Or if it does, you gonna be at 5600 RPM...which sounds like a good way to test the warrantee on your engine if you make a habit of running that fast.

I think they can get a decent crossover hull, it's just going to need a 2 speed tranny or v drive the cover both surf and barefoot.

The best slalom/barefoot boats are well under 3000 lbs total weight.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-05-2017, 9:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
I am still trying to wrap my head around the statement of the super beam boats creating wakes that are too STEEP!

I have never heard of the G23 wake being described as steep. Yes it is large, but has a very long transition and definitely not steep. On the contrary, the legendary SAN 210 from the early days has a very narrow been and arguably one of the STEEPEST wakes out there.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-05-2017, 12:43 PM Reply   
Full G23s are definitely steep and unless you get some weight forward they have a dip at the wake too. I'm not completely sure why, but I will hypothesizes that the draft/width ratio is similar to the old SAN 210 when slammed.

I own an LSV 25. I'd stack its sheer wake height and density alongside a G any day, but the difference for me is the transition. The point to my whole post was that if I could have a boat with as much room as a G, that drives better, I'd sacrifice a bit mass for better shape. There are pure advanced wakeboarders out there that this would be a much better fit than a G, especially if the price is better. I'm excited to check the GS22 out at the Houston Boatshow this weekend. I think it is a rad looking boat.

I would be super impressed if it was genuinely a boat that crosses "Ski" sports to "wake sports". Someone else said it, but once you hit about 3,000lbs, you aren't going to be very fast and the wake will never get that flat.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       01-09-2017, 7:04 AM Reply   
Only way I have seen a G23 wake be "steep", is at low speeds, and/or short line lengths, with FULL ballast. It is nothing like a 210 wake.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-09-2017, 8:13 AM Reply   
I find the 21 to be pretty steep compared to other wakes of its size. Not the 23 though
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       01-10-2017, 5:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
I find the 21 to be pretty steep compared to other wakes of its size. Not the 23 though
Agreed. Found myself running NCRS on 2-3 on the G21 to calm the wake down a bit. Still a little steeper than G23, but a lot better than stock settings.
Old     (drnate)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-10-2017, 7:21 AM Reply   
This whole long thread and not a single pic or video of the GS220?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy_EJBNPKPs

I am intrigued and would be a serious player if I was in the market. My main concern (and all I really care about) is how does it surf? Does it surf as good as a G23? Being more of a "crossover" boat scares me but the surf wave looks decent. Any real life experiences out there?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-10-2017, 7:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Agreed. Found myself running NCRS on 2-3 on the G21 to calm the wake down a bit. Still a little steeper than G23, but a lot better than stock settings.
Problem is that when you drop the plate, the wake gets finicky.....

So I Just deal. Boots you just the same. Just not as comfortable to ride as the g23/bu's/ old star
Old     (JJwake)      Join Date: May 2014       01-10-2017, 7:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
I have found that more weight in the front helps a little better than jacking up the wake with ncrs