Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-07-2012, 3:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kybool View Post
Sweet, now even easier to totally f**** up the entire lake, instead of just one side.
Wakesurfing = rollerbalding, razor scootering, bodysurfing.....get over it people, or just go tubing like you used to.

Slalom skiing is the only way to leave the lake nice and calm. You might as well sell your boat and get on with life...
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-07-2012, 5:28 PM Reply   
I just saw that episode 2 video, I had NO idea this was what they were going to show, but we just did this for fun on our Z3. Side to side in seconds, I will post video. We were just messing around, but it looked great.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-08-2012, 6:36 AM Reply   
We ride on a small lake, if there are a couple wakeboats who somewhat know how to drive we can still get good water. Throw one wakesurfer on the lake and the whole thing is bumped out in 10 minutes. Tottal disrespect, no better/worse than getting 'snaked' when real surfing.

On a good note I have heard there is legislation being proposed with mandatory rope lengths due to the dangers of riding too close to the boat. Makes sense to me.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-08-2012, 8:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
On a good note I have heard there is legislation being proposed with mandatory rope lengths due to the dangers of riding too close to the boat. Makes sense to me.
I'm sure there are more injuries related to wakeboarding, skiing, and tubing than surfing. If somebody is an idiot to surf behind an outboard or sterndrive AND get injured or killed...blame the boat operator. What state are you referring to when you say "legislation" because it's not federal I'm sure.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-08-2012, 8:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by you_da_man View Post
I'm sure there are more injuries related to wakeboarding, skiing, and tubing than surfing. If somebody is an idiot to surf behind an outboard or sterndrive AND get injured or killed...blame the boat operator. What state are you referring to when you say "legislation" because it's not federal I'm sure.
There is no doubt more people get hurt wakeboarding than surfing. Most people are switching to surfing because it is easier on the body.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-08-2012, 8:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
If this makes sense to you, you dont have any idea what you are talking about.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-08-2012, 11:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragboy View Post
I know on the centurion they are not on the sides, .
.................Really?

I would think that you being in the whole wakesurf scene would be ontop of all latest and greatest regarding what competitors are putting in/using.. This isnt new news, where are you getting your info from LOL
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-08-2012, 11:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
By all means, feel free to surf with 30' coiled in your hands. How is mandating rope length gonna gonna help? LOL

Im with Lake, you have no clue what you are talking about
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-08-2012, 1:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by duramat View Post
.................Really?

I would think that you being in the whole wakesurf scene would be ontop of all latest and greatest regarding what competitors are putting in/using.. This isnt new news, where are you getting your info from LOL
Maybe I spoke/typed unclearly. I meant on the centurions I have seen, the "quickfill" was not all the way on the sides, more in the middle. I am sure it still works very well, but having quickfill ballast like that all the way in the corner seems like it would be much better for wakesurfing. If all things were equal between 2 boats, and one's tanks were more in the middle, and the other on the outside, I would think I would want the ones with the outside tanks, that is all I was saying. Then again, if the demo showed the best wake from the ones in the inside, who would care, right?

I do try to keep up on all of it, but honestly, so many boats and stuff going on, stuff can slip through the cracks.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-08-2012, 2:58 PM Reply   
dont centurions have pretty deep v bottoms in comparison? even if the ballast tanks are not as far to the sides as MB or whatever it would significantly affect the boat's ability to lean over still... BUT then again i don't wake surf and can count how many boat shows i have been to on one hand

As for the surf gate, if it is like the pics and patent shown on the first page of the thread, it reminds me of the flow through tail holes that were experimented with on those early year 2000 wakeboards. i think it was J-star and or Gator that used them. they were short lived and almost unseen... like the byerly "can-opener" board on steroids
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-08-2012, 3:03 PM Reply   
Brendan I'm sure fishin boats say he same thing about you and your wakeboardin boat.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-08-2012, 3:21 PM Reply   
Ragboy "was not all the way on the sides, more in the middle"
Did you miss the picture I posted??
not sure how you can say the tanks are more to the middle
all of theCenturions that have the quick fill tanks are in the back on each side
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-08-2012, 3:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Maybe I spoke/typed unclearly. I meant on the centurions I have seen, the "quickfill" was not all the way on the sides, more in the middle. I am sure it still works very well, but having quickfill ballast like that all the way in the corner seems like it would be much better for wakesurfing. If all things were equal between 2 boats, and one's tanks were more in the middle, and the other on the outside, I would think I would want the ones with the outside tanks, that is all I was saying. Then again, if the demo showed the best wake from the ones in the inside, who would care, right?

I do try to keep up on all of it, but honestly, so many boats and stuff going on, stuff can slip through the cracks.
Seriously, what are you talking about. The only thing towards the middle of my 244 is the engine/gas tank/center ballast. Have you actually lifted up the engine compartment and taken a look? Here, I will post Kevin's pick of an Enzo hull again. Please take a look at where the quick fill tanks are (the two things on both sides of the engine) and let me know how much farther to the side they are suppose to be.
Attached Images

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-08-2012, 4:05 PM Reply   
I was in a dealership with a rep, he showed em to me. It wasn't a big deal, and it didn't "bother" me or anything, it was just an observation. It could be the rep was wrong, it wouldn't be the first time I have asked a manufacturer rep a question, not just centurion, and they got it wrong. Or did they move farther out in 2012?

Either way, it was just an observation that the farther out the better, and if they are all the way out on the enzo, that's great. But the rep went to the back of the boat, and showed me the inlets and also described the locations of the tanks.
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-09-2012, 6:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by talltigeguy View Post
The facebook page now says 7/13 is the official launch date. EPIC FAIL.
This is just a guess, but I think the dates might be release dates for the next teaser video...not an ever-changing full release date for the product.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-09-2012, 7:26 AM Reply   
wave doesn't look that impressive...
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-09-2012, 9:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
I was in a dealership with a rep, he showed em to me. It wasn't a big deal, and it didn't "bother" me or anything, it was just an observation. It could be the rep was wrong, it wouldn't be the first time I have asked a manufacturer rep a question, not just centurion, and they got it wrong. Or did they move farther out in 2012?

Either way, it was just an observation that the farther out the better, and if they are all the way out on the enzo, that's great. But the rep went to the back of the boat, and showed me the inlets and also described the locations of the tanks.
You have 3 choices... Strbrd side, Middle, Port side...Where..Where "more in the middle" are you gonna put all that ballast? Engine...Middle, Gas tank,,,Middle, Vdrive and other mechanical shiz....Middle Now where more in the middle where you thinkin? LOL Cmon Garcia I give you more credit than this to think where its all gonna have to go. You never have been accurate on Enzos
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-09-2012, 9:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesurfer View Post
Seriously, what are you talking about. The only thing towards the middle of my 244 is the engine/gas tank/center ballast. Have you actually lifted up the engine compartment and taken a look? Here, I will post Kevin's pick of an Enzo hull again. Please take a look at where the quick fill tanks are (the two things on both sides of the engine) and let me know how much farther to the side they are suppose to be.
Old     (riverrunner)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-09-2012, 9:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
I do like the fact that its on the outside of the boat, so its in the perfect spot for wakesurfing. That is the one thing that never turned me on with the purevert systems in the centurion or MB, they are more towards the inside. If this was 500 lbs in that corner, super efficient wakesurf ballast.
You have no idea what you are talking about, the tank area is outlined in the image below for the quickfill/purevert tanks on the centurion hull, if you take into account the profile of the hull you could not get the tanks any closer to the side of the boat, you want sacs under your seat why would you not want them under the floor of the seat base? For wakeboarding flip two switches, wait thirty seconds and you have 500lbs. on each side for 1,000lbs. total. For surfing flip the switch on the side you want to add to and 30 seconds later you have 500lbs. on that side. Although I am sure you are much happier waiting for your tige to load the ballast tank with a pump.

Quote:

Again more propaganda trying to put Centurion in a negative light since tige does not offer the convenience of Quickfill/Purevert if they did you would be broadcasting that it was the best thing since sliced bread. Funny thing is you are saying the Centurions you have seen have the tanks towards the center but, the picture above shows the only mold they use and you can clearly see that the orange line or center of the boat shows the tanks as far away as they can be. Tell me how you can even see where the tanks are located in the Centurions you have seen considering the tanks are under the floor, again propaganda.

Quote:

They did not move further out, again you could not have seen them under the floor to begin with unless that "rep" split the deck from the lower hull and was holding it up for you to see under it. The tanks are as far to the outside of the boat as possible, it would make no sense for them not to be, of course unless you were trying to start a rumor right?
Attached Images

Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-09-2012, 9:57 AM Reply   
u mad ^^^
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-09-2012, 10:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_mn View Post
u mad ^^^
Were not mad...Tired of the nonstop innacuracy hes always flingin out regarding Enzos or other brands that arnt Tige or Wake 9 approved LOL
Old     (riverrunner)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-09-2012, 10:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_mn View Post
u mad ^^^
Not at all, just tired of the propaganda he spreads about other boat brands not just Centurion. Keep in mind that you may not be taken in by his slant on things not Tige but, the person that is new to WW looking at boats and the users here for advice might be, just presenting the facts.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-09-2012, 10:35 AM Reply   
Is it just me or is that pic pretty ghetto? A mfr using 5 gallon buckets and rocks in their mold? Or is that a prototype of some sort?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-09-2012, 3:12 PM Reply   
Well wah wah wah.

The tanks are clearly further out on the MB than on centurion. Look at all the volume of the tank on the centurion, its almosg all towards the center line, not so much the case on the MB.

Either way youll need sacks if you want a great wake. And sacks can put pressure on the gunnel resulting in more leverage resulting in more list resulting in a better wave.

And either way you're destroying my glass in the morning. So save it for the afternoon
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-09-2012, 4:50 PM Reply   
So... how about that Surfgate system??

Funny how we're talking about MB (again) and Centurion.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-09-2012, 5:54 PM Reply   
How about the release party for the G25 this month

Lol...figured Id throw another brand in this thread
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-09-2012, 6:02 PM Reply   
So , where's the gate? Is there ever going to be a gate? Or are we surfing endlessly?
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-09-2012, 6:22 PM Reply   
I got the email of the 2nd video . It doesn't show anything more than the first . I'm not sure what they are trying to do with the delayed introduction . Trying to build hype I guess I'm not all that interested. I'm not planning on a new wakeboat and dont have any problems with wakesurfing now. I would like to see the new Supra coming out maybe a Mojo clone?
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-09-2012, 6:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Sweet, now even easier to totally f**** up the entire lake, instead of just one side.
Wakesurfing = rollerbalding, razor scootering, bodysurfing.....get over it people, or just go tubing like you used to.

http://www.facebook.com/surfgatewave
hahaha so true
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-10-2012, 8:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by duramat View Post
Were not mad...Tired of the nonstop innacuracy hes always flingin out regarding Enzos or other brands that arnt Tige or Wake 9 approved LOL
Let me show you how I'm not mad by explaining how mad I am.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-10-2012, 8:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverrunner View Post
Not at all, just tired of the propaganda he spreads about other boat brands not just Centurion. Keep in mind that you may not be taken in by his slant on things not Tige but, the person that is new to WW looking at boats and the users here for advice might be, just presenting the facts.
Mad Status: Confirmed

I agree with both of you guys. I don't think that they are in the "center" of the boat but it is also plain as day that they are not in the back corner of the rig like a sack ina locker is.

I'm staying out of your little Tige vs. Centurion/MB pissing match - but there is some validity to both sides.
Old     (kronoss)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-13-2012, 12:36 PM Reply   
so.. when is the official info going to be released ?
Old     (dhill)      Join Date: Aug 2010       07-13-2012, 12:49 PM Reply   
fyi - http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/.../07/13/CL39799

looks like they will be running it for the red bull wake open this weekend. haven't seen anything on their website yet. of course everyone on wakeworld is aware, but otherwise it seems like malibu is doing a poor job at marketing this new feature.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-13-2012, 12:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhill View Post
fyi - http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/.../07/13/CL39799

looks like they will be running it for the red bull wake open this weekend. haven't seen anything on their website yet. of course everyone on wakeworld is aware, but otherwise it seems like malibu is doing a poor job at marketing this new feature.
FYI...The boat portion was yesterday.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-13-2012, 12:53 PM Reply   
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-13-2012, 1:42 PM Reply   
did one of those videos say the average time to switch sides to surf is 40 minutes? The competition needs to jump on that. It takes us about the same time for one surfer to finish and the next to be ready to go, about 4 minutes i'd guess. Thats on the rare occasion someone wants to surf goofy.
Old     (WhiteFoamFilms)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-13-2012, 3:20 PM Reply   
Hello WAKE WORLD! We here in sunny Florida at the RED BULL WAKE OPEN and would like to Introduce you to SURF GATE by Malibu. We think you're going to enjoy this ride.

http://www.surfgatewave.com/

Last edited by WhiteFoamFilms; 07-13-2012 at 3:24 PM. Reason: image
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-13-2012, 3:30 PM Reply   
Well...it's not aesthetically pleasing...
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-13-2012, 3:35 PM Reply   
the propaganda campaign sucks. Lets see pics of the thing and how it works.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-13-2012, 3:36 PM Reply   
This looks like an acutal GAME CHANGER.
Old     (WhiteFoamFilms)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-13-2012, 3:38 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nurApvuie-E&feature=plcp
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-13-2012, 3:41 PM Reply   
The switching up the wake in mid ride and being able to hop from side to side is pretty bad ass. They may have something really big here
Old     (WhiteFoamFilms)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-13-2012, 3:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousbird View Post
This looks like an acutal GAME CHANGER.
THANKS for the Support! MALIBU stands proud and so do our riders!
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       07-13-2012, 3:46 PM Reply   
New Vids are up,looks pretty sick!
Old     (drnate)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-13-2012, 3:59 PM Reply   
That's pretty impressive but I want to know how it works!
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-13-2012, 4:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnate View Post
That's pretty impressive but I want to know how it works!
Yes please explain this is the only thing we care about now that we can see it.
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       07-13-2012, 4:08 PM Reply   
Looks like the flap opens up. Here's another vid of Brian Grubb doing side to side transfers, supposedly the first ones ever. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=202589213201629
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-13-2012, 4:15 PM Reply   
So how much is the base 21' wakesetter?
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-13-2012, 5:15 PM Reply   
makes sense, flap opens creates side drag to make the wave. Cool how you can switch sides fast, wave doesn't look super long and tall though.

Last edited by CarFanatic5; 07-13-2012 at 5:21 PM.
Old     (GhostSetter)      Join Date: May 2011       07-13-2012, 5:29 PM Reply   
Wonder if this can be retrofitted
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-13-2012, 5:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostSetter View Post
Wonder if this can be retrofitted
Looks like you would need a new swim step as well, with the small cut out where the flap foods into
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-13-2012, 6:11 PM Reply   
Pretty neat. Selectively push the boat sideways. For Brian to switch across the boat needed to switch across the gates at the same time. Hmm, I wonder if a tracking device for the rider is in the works.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-13-2012, 6:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkcityxj View Post
Looks like the flap opens up. Here's another vid of Brian Grubb doing side to side transfers, supposedly the first ones ever. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=202589213201629
I've seen side to side transfers behind a SAN 230 weighted evenly...
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-13-2012, 6:58 PM Reply   
I saw a video of a surfer going wake to wake like Brian Grubb did over a week ago on a Tige Z3. No Surfgate necessary.I don't know when Brian did his transfer but it has been done already on other boats. So game changer I don't think ? Something new attempted maybe closer to the truth. Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking it I think it's a great idea,but other boats can duplicate it without the Surfgate.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-13-2012, 7:05 PM Reply   
People have transferred, but not to a weighted side for surfing. Even if you weight evenly, you're not going to get that clean of a wave.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-13-2012, 7:18 PM Reply   
Clean doesn't equal push. I've seen some tall clean waves that didn't have as much push as smaller less clean waves. I still think it's a great idea,but would have to try it myself to see how effective it really is.
Old     (adamp)      Join Date: Mar 2011       07-13-2012, 7:27 PM Reply   
You guys are missing the main points... What the video lacks is information... the system is AMAZING...Safer, tons more comfortable, easier, etc....

The boat does not have to be leaned.... It drives completely flat and straight... So the difficult turns with a weighted boat are no longer an issue... Picking up a rider is safer (you have much more control than with a listed boat) any driver can pull a surfer. No more pulling up to the dock to take a break and having to worry about the weight causing issues when trying to dock (for not so good drivers) I'm sure everyone who have wake surfed have banged the dock pretty hard.

ALSO, The weight can now be distributed throughout the boat as you please... you don't have to put it all in one corner... Your crew can sit anywhere... No more uncomfortable cramming in the corner. I know I HATED that part... No more of the "Move over to the right a little more, move back some"... Now that it doesn't just have to be on one side, you can slam the boat even more... Instead of just 500 lbs in the right rear locker , you can now have 500 lbs in both lockers, getting the boat deeper and causing a bigger wave, etc.

No more having to drain sacks in the lockers when you want to switch riders. If one surfer rides regular and the other rides goofy, all you have to do is flip the switch.... No more draining, shifting bag sides and re-filling....

It IS a game changer. No doubt about it.

Last edited by adamp; 07-13-2012 at 7:31 PM.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-13-2012, 7:34 PM Reply   
Adam have you ridden the wave? Or are you a kool-aid drinker?
Old     (adamp)      Join Date: Mar 2011       07-13-2012, 7:43 PM Reply   
Surfed it, Studied it, Etc...

I don't like kool-aid.... I never have sugar.

Have you Robert? PS. I think I met you before at Spring Ride and at Pedro a couple times..
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-13-2012, 8:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
What a question. Apparently he has surfed it and seen it, but even if he had not, what part of what he was saying is not obviously true and obviously rad for all you surfers?
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-13-2012, 8:20 PM Reply   
Always going to be haters from owners of other manufacturers. If it had been tige, he'd probably be all over it. A good IDE is a good idea. Regardless who comes up with it.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-13-2012, 8:30 PM Reply   
This is cool. It will be very easy to make and adapt to most boatso
Old     (WhiteFoamFilms)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-13-2012, 9:05 PM Reply   
Interesting? Thanks Adam...

Last edited by WhiteFoamFilms; 07-13-2012 at 9:08 PM.
Old     (WhiteFoamFilms)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-13-2012, 9:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
i saw a video of a surfer going wake to wake like brian grubb did over a week ago on a tige z3. No surfgate necessary.i don't know when brian did his transfer but it has been done already on other boats. So game changer i don't think ? Something new attempted maybe closer to the truth. Don't get me wrong i'm not knocking it i think it's a great idea,but other boats can duplicate it without the surfgate.
lame!
Old     (WhiteFoamFilms)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-13-2012, 9:21 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0Wu5CSfL8c

ENOUGH SAID! "Like a Malibu!"

Last edited by WhiteFoamFilms; 07-13-2012 at 9:23 PM.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-13-2012, 10:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
I saw a video of a surfer going wake to wake like Brian Grubb did over a week ago on a Tige Z3. No Surfgate necessary.I don't know when Brian did his transfer but it has been done already on other boats. So game changer I don't think ? Something new attempted maybe closer to the truth. Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking it I think it's a great idea,but other boats can duplicate it without the Surfgate.
Yes you are... that much is obvious. Your motive is transparent to all.

Quote:
Clean doesn't equal push. I've seen some tall clean waves that didn't have as much push as smaller less clean waves. I still think it's a great idea,but would have to try it myself to see how effective it really is.
Yes, please go demo it and write up a review. We're all dying to know what you think of it. I'll wait anxiously for your throughts and a complete comparison to the greatest surf machine ever built... the Tige RZ2.

Quote:
This statement is dripping with irony. Robert, aren't you like the biggest kool-aid drinker on the forum? Or did mhunter take that crown from you?

Last edited by ixfe; 07-13-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-13-2012, 11:19 PM Reply   
I like blue raspberry kool-aid. I only put 2/3 cup of sugar instead of the whole cup though.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-14-2012, 4:19 AM Reply   
Oh well, I didn't think malibu's needed anything else hanging off their ass. Clearly I was wrong.... All this garbage hanging off the back is bound to break eventually and it seems like a bandaid....
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-14-2012, 4:24 AM Reply   
It's funny when I ask a legitimate question or pose possible flaws I'm the bad guy.When one of the chosen few say anything no matter how BS it is it's gospel.I guess you have to consider the source?
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-14-2012, 4:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
It's funny when I ask a legitimate question or pose possible flaws I'm the bad guy.When one of the chosen few say anything no matter how BS it is it's gospel.I guess you have to consider the source?
If you had kept the question to "Have you Ridden it" no flack would have been given... throwing "Kool-aid" drinker on there makes you look like the homer you are...
Old     (ktrent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-14-2012, 6:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamp View Post
You guys are missing the main points... What the video lacks is information... the system is AMAZING...Safer, tons more comfortable, easier, etc....

The boat does not have to be leaned.... It drives completely flat and straight... So the difficult turns with a weighted boat are no longer an issue... Picking up a rider is safer (you have much more control than with a listed boat) any driver can pull a surfer. No more pulling up to the dock to take a break and having to worry about the weight causing issues when trying to dock (for not so good drivers) I'm sure everyone who have wake surfed have banged the dock pretty hard.

ALSO, The weight can now be distributed throughout the boat as you please... you don't have to put it all in one corner... Your crew can sit anywhere... No more uncomfortable cramming in the corner. I know I HATED that part... No more of the "Move over to the right a little more, move back some"... Now that it doesn't just have to be on one side, you can slam the boat even more... Instead of just 500 lbs in the right rear locker , you can now have 500 lbs in both lockers, getting the boat deeper and causing a bigger wave, etc.

No more having to drain sacks in the lockers when you want to switch riders. If one surfer rides regular and the other rides goofy, all you have to do is flip the switch.... No more draining, shifting bag sides and re-filling....

It IS a game changer. No doubt about it.
i haven't rode or seen it but this is the points that i was thinking about as well. i showed my wife the video and her eyes lit up and she said "now we can surf with out all the time and hassle it takes to get the boat weighted and set up" that tells me its a game changer and i may have a boat payment next year.

just a thought, malibu could have a button where both tabs come out and you would have brakes as well. lol
Old     (kronoss)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-14-2012, 6:29 AM Reply   
is this going to be available on Axis boats as well ?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-14-2012, 11:02 AM Reply   
To answer a couple of points Adam is a marketing guy,his job is to sell the sizzle! I just got done surfing behind a Tige Z3. It was weighted as follows front 400 lbs full on both sides .Surf side rear 100% full 600lbs .Off side rear 25% full. I surfed both sides and it had tons of push even 12' behind the boat.It took apprx 5-6 minutes to switch sides and that's without a transfer pump. The boat had a 5 to 7 degree list,you could hardly tell it was surf weighted. The off side was washed a bit but looked surf ready. I'm not skilled enough to transfer from one wake to the other,but how many people are? As far as docking I don't know anyone who docks surf weighted. As far as the bs line no more pulling up to the dock weighted,didn't he say his boat was weighted evenly? Now that some of the sizzle is gone consider how much drad(poor fuel economy) this system creates. Secondly how many people would actually want to switch sides in seconds,since their usually switching riders.These are legit questions and facts.Now let the beatings continue!
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-14-2012, 11:16 AM Reply   
Cwb4me- you miss the whole point of this thread. This boat is not about tige or traditional boat ballast systems. We know the traditional pump systems work great. This thread however is about a whole new kind of sytem to create a surf able wave. All boats create drag especially ones filled with heavy ballast systems. Yes this system might have flaws but we don't know that yet all your doing is speculating. Through failure comes progression and props to Malibu for not being afraid o try something new and outside the box.
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-14-2012, 11:47 AM Reply   
So, how do you go from wakeboarding to wakesurfing in seconds? This whole thing still doesn't make 100% sense in my head. When I wakeboard, I don't have 1000 lbs. on one side. I have 1500 lbs. across an 8 foot beam in the back, and depending on whose boat I maybe have a total of 400 lbs in each rear locker. Then I have 650 lbs. in the middle of the boat, and maybe an additional 300 lbs. even across the bow. If I have that weight when I wakeboard, and then I drop to surfing speed, the surf wake is quite disappointing because I don't have that much list to a boat. These tabs make the wake long, and help push it out. These tabs do not drop the boat deeper in the water, or create more depth displacement. I do not see how this will make a wave with more & better push when running with wakeboard weight. I see it greatly helping with shape and length, however, I don't see this actually making the transition from wakeboarding to wakesurfing in a matter of seconds/the time it takes to adjust perfect pass.

Last edited by hco; 07-14-2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: grammar
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-14-2012, 12:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
To answer a couple of points Adam is a marketing guy,his job is to sell the sizzle! I just got done surfing behind a Tige Z3. It was weighted as follows front 400 lbs full on both sides .Surf side rear 100% full 600lbs .Off side rear 25% full. I surfed both sides and it had tons of push even 12' behind the boat.It took apprx 5-6 minutes to switch sides and that's without a transfer pump. The boat had a 5 to 7 degree list,you could hardly tell it was surf weighted. The off side was washed a bit but looked surf ready. I'm not skilled enough to transfer from one wake to the other,but how many people are? As far as docking I don't know anyone who docks surf weighted. As far as the bs line no more pulling up to the dock weighted,didn't he say his boat was weighted evenly? Now that some of the sizzle is gone consider how much drad(poor fuel economy) this system creates. Secondly how many people would actually want to switch sides in seconds,since their usually switching riders.These are legit questions and facts.Now let the beatings continue!
Don't fall while your reaching...

Do you get paid by Tige? If so, I'm curious if they realize you damage the brand more on these boards than you help.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-14-2012, 12:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hco View Post
So, how do you go from wakeboarding to wakesurfing in seconds? This whole thing still doesn't make 100% sense in my head. When I wakeboard, I don't have 1000 lbs. on one side. I have 1500 lbs. across an 8 foot beam in the back, and depending on whose boat I maybe have a total of 400 lbs in each rear locker. Then I have 650 lbs. in the middle of the boat, and maybe an additional 300 lbs. even across the bow. If I have that weight when I wakeboard, and then I drop to surfing speed, the surf wake is quite disappointing because I don't have that much list to a boat. These tabs make the wake long, and help push it out. These tabs do not drop the boat deeper in the water, or create more depth displacement. I do not see how this will make a wave with more & better push when running with wakeboard weight. I see it greatly helping with shape and length, however, I don't see this actually making the transition from wakeboarding to wakesurfing in a matter of seconds/the time it takes to adjust perfect pass.
Sounded like grubb or someone in the last video said it was "stock ballast only" plus the surf gate. So I am assuming its 1250 lbs unless the 2013 stock ballast has increased from 2012. So if thats true, then that wave was very nice for only having 1250 lbs in it. If you hit the switch to put the surf gate back to neutral or whatever for wakeboarding, then you will have your wakeboarding wake with stock ballast in seconds. I am sure the idea is to weight your boat for wakeboarding, then if you want to surf, add the gate to your side. Not sure how good the surf wave will be by adding the gates if you are running 4k lbs for wakeboarding, that remains to be seen.

and robert, how many people want to switch sides while riding? probably a lot, but even if nobody wants to do that, it would be great to be able to switch riders in a few seconds and still be able to switch sides. I don't surf, but my buddies that do HATE having to change sides due to pumps and bags and such. This product claims to eliminate that, you should be happy, maybe the 2014 tiges will get "surf tabs" just like it.
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-14-2012, 1:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_defacto View Post
Sounded like grubb or someone in the last video said it was "stock ballast only" plus the surf gate. So I am assuming its 1250 lbs unless the 2013 stock ballast has increased from 2012. So if thats true, then that wave was very nice for only having 1250 lbs in it. If you hit the switch to put the surf gate back to neutral or whatever for wakeboarding, then you will have your wakeboarding wake with stock ballast in seconds. I am sure the idea is to weight your boat for wakeboarding, then if you want to surf, add the gate to your side. Not sure how good the surf wave will be by adding the gates if you are running 4k lbs for wakeboarding, that remains to be seen.
I am guessing that its stock ballast plus the wedge and a couple of guys on the boat. Not sure if my point came across as clearly as I wanted, but when I surf we put an enzo sac in plus some weight in the bow or underneath compartments depending on the boat. So we end up running stock (1250 lbs. depending on the boat) + another 1600-2000 lbs on one side. I would never wakeboard like that, so maybe this is something that is useful for the average joe who likes stock ballast and doesn't like to complicate things? To me it just seems that anyone who is really into surfing or really into wakeboarding that this is good for shape and length, but is not "game-changing" for those of us that really like to dial our setups in (nor is it a few second switch).
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-14-2012, 3:41 PM Reply   
I guess I shouldn't have used the T word because now you guys are missing my point.
1 This boat is weighted-So you have to drain it to dock unweighted.
2 This boat creates drag to produce it's surf wake-this is much more drag than a weighted boat which means it uses more fuel.
3 Different boats don't have to be listed heavily to produce a nice wake- So those boats aren't hard to drive and retrieve riders.
4 I said it was a good idea- I was just pointing out it's not for everybody. Not everyone is going to go out and buy a new boat to switch surfers in seconds. Patience can save you tens of thousands of dollars!
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-14-2012, 3:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
2 This boat creates drag to produce it's surf wake-this is much more drag than a weighted boat which means it uses more fuel.
Please please please show me what calculations you used to determine a small tab on the side of the transom somehow makes a boat use more fuel than 1000 extra lbs of surf ballast.

Love armchair physics...