Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (V237TX_Nate)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-07-2011, 10:32 PM Reply   
I am going to be replacing all the upholstery in my Sanger V237 this fall after the season, and I am stuck between doing it myself, or paying to have it done by a professional. I am pretty handy and have done small projects in the past, so no worries on the technical aspect of the task.

Has anyone had their vinyl replaced and how much did it run for labor in the install (I already have the skins from the manufacturer) Thanks!!
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-08-2011, 7:26 AM Reply   
That's a pretty new boat why are you replacing the vinyl already?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-08-2011, 7:46 AM Reply   
It should still be under warranty (3yrs). Its not that hard to unstall the skins yourself.
Old     (V237TX_Nate)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-08-2011, 9:15 AM Reply   
Bought the boat as a dealer repo - so no warranty. I got a heck of a deal on it, and the only issue was the vinyl, slighty dry rotted on one of the acccent colors.
Old     (chexi)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-08-2011, 11:54 AM Reply   
Done right will be in the 4 figures just for the install. If you do it yourself, you need a pneumatic stapled and be sure you get SS or Monel staples. Get a good upholstery pneumatic stapler. This is not that hard, but if you are doing an entire boat, it will be very time consuming and a royal PITA.
Old     (Riteride)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-08-2011, 12:07 PM Reply   
It was not the project that killed me it was the time it took.. I got so tired of it I had a shop finish the rest... Find a local shop and show them so love by letting them earn your business...
Old     (Preston)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-08-2011, 1:59 PM Reply   
Give Wayne Stoeckel a call @ 559-233-1960, he runs Wayne's Upholstery which is who does the upholstery for Sanger. I was quoted around $1300-1400 for all new skins for my 2005 V215. As long as you're okay doing the work yourself, this is probably your best option price/quality wise.
Old     (chexi)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-08-2011, 2:40 PM Reply   
He already has the skins. He's asking about labor costs for installation.
Old     (twelve02)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-08-2011, 5:56 PM Reply   
I've done some research regarding my V230. I was actually talking to Dave Stoeckel which is Wayne Stoeckel's son and they gave me a rough estimate starting at $2500. But I wasn't merely just replacing my vinyl, I was changing the rear seat and upgrading to the NEW vinyl they were using in the NEW Sanger / Malibu / Mastercraft boats.
Old     (V237TX_Nate)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-09-2011, 12:07 PM Reply   
Yea I actually bought the vinyl from Wayne's shop - but Cali is to far from where I live to have it installed. I think I'll take a shot at some of the bigger pieces myself and see how it goes from there.
Old     (crowem87)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-09-2011, 12:15 PM Reply   
We had our interior done over this past winter. We chose to have the upolstry shop here in town who made our boat cover do the work. We chose a very similar material to what was in the 2010 Mastercrafts. They took their time, and even stitched the mastercraft and X30 logos into the appropriate spots. They did not use skins and started from scratch, even adding foam in certain areas to make the seats more firm to avoid wear. It totalled out to about $3200... I am unsure how the replacement skins sanger sends out are...but we tried using the MC skins and ended up replacing them 4 years later....so far there is not a tear or rip or even a thread loose in the new interior after about 300hrs on it...I will post pics tonight if I can.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       08-09-2011, 5:05 PM Reply   
Local shop quoted me over the phone about $100 per cushion ballpark, making the skins and putting them on my original backing and foam. This was for 3 large seat bases and the large ski locker hatch on the back of my Supra. After seeing the boat I believe he charged me $550 to make the vinyl to match original and install. Of course my boat has a bunch of pleats in the seat bases and some angles and such which were more time consuming, which is why he said it cost more. Work was top notch and I'm very pleased with the quality and also to support a local business. He also went over my seat backs which were original and put new stuff around the edges where it attaches to the bases to make it nice, but didn't charge me for this. Note I also had him make a cover for the boat.

Eventually I'll need the seats in the bow redone and I'll be using the same guy. I'd expect he cost of those to be more around his $100/per quote as they're simple flat vinyl with piping and no pleats or odd shapes. He had several large big $$$ off shore boats in his lot and was happy to show me pictures of his other work and go over some of the other customers boats and show me how they were coming along, as well as some of the classic cars he was doing in the shop. The openness and quality of his other work is what sold me. Just make sure wherever you go you see examples of their work and are happy with it and comfortable with the people at the shop.

I also called one other shop before I brought the boat to this guy and decided I'd go with him. The other shops quoted me a ballpark $100/per seat base/seat back to make vinyl and install. So at least in my area that seems to be the norm. If you already have the upholstery and just looking at install I have no idea what the costs would be.