Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-10-2011, 8:28 AM Reply   
My old computer struggled with editing SD video. But considering it was an Intel Pentium 4... I can understand that. I picked up a computer last year that is decent. Quad core 4 GB RAM but when I edited HD video... it was ran like a pig and would freeze up. Looked like it was almost maxing out my RAM but each core was around 50%.

The I read somewhere that the video card has a lot to do with how smooth the program runs. Computer has a stock NVIDIA geforce 9200. Would an upgrade make a noticeable difference?
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-11-2011, 3:48 PM Reply   
It depends... If you're running the Adobe PPRO CS5 suite with an approved/certified graphics card it will use the GPU to help video playback and speed up rendering. Take a look at the following for more details: http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-prem...-enhancements/

Adobe can also use the GPU to it's advantage for Photoshop CS4 and 5: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404898.html

I have a i7 2.66 overclocked to 3.2GHz with 12 GB RAM and an EVGA GTX-470 Graphics card. It handles P2 MXF footage beautifully in CS5, but I still find the "native" handling of HDSLR footage (Canon 7D, GoPro) a little rougher than desired. It works, but converting the files using cineform neoscene before editing is still a lot smoother and an excellent option if you don't want to spend $600 + upgrading your current hardware/software.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-12-2011, 10:22 AM Reply   
What format are you editing? For AVCHD you need a monster rig like the i7 mentioned above. The reason macs work so well is that they transcode the HD video before you edit it (as part of the "import" process).
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-12-2011, 1:14 PM Reply   
Converting will definitely make it easier for your machine to edit (whether it's a Mac or PC), but something I failed to mentioned is that the converted video will be 2 to 3 times the size of the original. So plan accordingly to help manage disk space and set aside time to render (which will heavily rely on your CPU.)

Most MAC users I know convert to ProRes and then delete the original video files. On the PC side of things that if you decide to delete the original then be aware that you will loose the meta data that is contained in the .htm file.. this contains the aperture, shutter, focal, etc settings. It's not required and more for personal reference than anything.

Check out cineform neoscene (http://www.cineform.com/neoscene/) for $129. If you shop around you can find it for under $100.