Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (norbiv)      Join Date: May 2009       10-03-2009, 5:58 PM Reply   
Latest video Ive done.
It features one afternoon set with Brian Reeder Mike and Sean Hanson and Andy Noel. just some good friends I usually ride with.
Check out the video =)
Hope u get the vibe

http://wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=2463
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-04-2009, 8:58 AM Reply   
I think it would be a lot better without as many jump cuts. I really like your skill in implementing them but after a minute or so it just becomes distracting when they're constant like that.
Old     (snowman89)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-04-2009, 9:48 AM Reply   
I'm sure you've already answered this but what's your equipment set up? And how long have you been filming and editing?
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-04-2009, 12:26 PM Reply   
Gotta agree here Norbi. You're a talented guy, but I can't wait to see what happens when you back off the throttle a little bit with your editing and color effects. You've got access to some of the best riders in the world... let their work speak for itself sometimes... or help convey it with innovative camera work rather than over-editing.
Don't mean to criticize. Mad, mad props for your obvious talent and experimentation... but I'm betting with a little restraint, the best is yet to come from you.
Old     (an_d)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-04-2009, 12:41 PM Reply   
i agree with rich, like your obviously amazing at shooting and editing, but ease it up a little when your chopping away. IMO silly puddy is a really chill song and the editing was to crazy for that chillin song if that makes sense. i do really like your lifestyle shots and closeups behind the boat.
Old     (norbiv)      Join Date: May 2009       10-04-2009, 3:33 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the feedback everyone!
The reason why some of you might think I overdone the jumpcuts is that I had 4 riders filmed in 1 day from 1 angle and when I edited it I was thinking about making it as quick as possible and it seemed like much the first few times I watched the vid after editing . I didnt wanna re edit anything so I got used to it after a few times I watched it even before finally rendering the video and when you kinda know when the change or the cut is coming in the shot it made the video pretty cool. and thats what I went for in this vid. so thats just the way it is

but in the future Ill get some other cool shots so you all get what you want =)

Later!

PS:. snowman89 Im using a Sony HDR fx7 and using finalcut studio 2 to edit it.
Old     (jman)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-04-2009, 8:19 PM Reply   
cool video again! i've noticed in your vids with alot of the slow mo and close up shots its a different quality or look. is that an effect you put to it? looks cool but im curious cause im into learning about filming.
Old     (norbiv)      Join Date: May 2009       10-05-2009, 12:06 AM Reply   
hey Falconmb

It looks different cuz Im recording to an HDV tape rather than a harddrive or a memory stick so it has to compress the footage even tho its HD now you might not see difference in normal footage but when my camera shoots slow mo and shoots 120fps instead of 30fps that still has to fit on the same amount of tape in the camera. So since the data is more because of the more frames per second the camera still prints it on the same tape (obviously) and the quality just looks a little different.

In the Aaron rathy swagger part2 video tho when he does the osmosis 7 I used a Cartoonize effect.
Incase you were thinking about that.
Old     (shredsickgnar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-05-2009, 12:59 AM Reply   
Yeah, I agree with what everyone else is saying. Your videos are WAY WAY WAY over edited. To the point where I can't even enjoy them. Quit it with the color and bedazzle effects, you've got a nice camera and your filming good riders you don't need to do much with it. I know what your going for with the choppyness in your editing, I use it too. But when it's every couple beats its way too much. Also it seems in the videos I've seen your always using the same style of music, switch it up!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-05-2009, 7:16 AM Reply   
You know I dont Agree, I love well edited videos and I think yours are great! Keep it up man.
Old     (jman)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-05-2009, 9:48 AM Reply   
thanks for the info Norbi
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-05-2009, 11:08 AM Reply   
Yeah Norbi! I have a project coming up, we need to talk

I think I have your number
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-05-2009, 11:43 AM Reply   
Norbi, I think the video is rad for a 4:46. I can't believe you got almost 5, very entertaining minutes, out of a one day shoot.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-05-2009, 12:09 PM Reply   
Great job as usual Norbi!!
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-05-2009, 2:50 PM Reply   
I think it's great that folks are steppin' up to support you. You've got fans, and that's dope. As far as I can tell, it's much deserved.
But I stand by my opinion...
My guess is a guy with as strong a photographic eye as Riley has, knows when a photo has been over-processed in one way or another, and when it's been tweaked just enough to really bring out the subject matter. Video works the same way...
You're shooting good stuff, with a keen eye for moments and angles... and you're picking dope songs (I LOVE Zion I)... and then you're cutting in unique and entertaining ways... but... you're getting in your own way a little bit.
I edit video for a living. I'm paid, in many cases, to know when a cut is needed and when it isn't. I know I'm not always right... it's a pretty subjective craft. But like I said in my earlier post, I think with a little restraint you could potentially pump out some world class work.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-05-2009, 3:13 PM Reply   
^great post Rich. That's exactly what I was thinking, I just didn't state it as eloquently. I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't a good piece and was more going for that I think he has the natural ability to turn his good videos into mind blowing videos with a little restraint.
Old     (mikel_j)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-05-2009, 4:48 PM Reply   
It's awesome you get to film with some extremely talented riders.

Keep the vids coming!
Old     (norbiv)      Join Date: May 2009       10-05-2009, 8:32 PM Reply   
Yeah I getcha.
Thanks!

Cant wait to get my next videos out there !
I just had 2 days of non stop shoot at one of the studios on my campus at Full Sail so I was pretty busy with that but Ill get back on that wakeboarding grind asap.

Laters!
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       10-08-2009, 2:20 AM Reply   
awesome vid as usual norbi, I like how each of your video progresses in quality. The second half of the vid seemed to flow better for me with just a few less jump cuts. Editing was tight as always keep it comin!
Old     (norbiv)      Join Date: May 2009       10-08-2009, 3:37 PM Reply   
THanks Mark! Im Trying my best an im working on the latest one as Im typing this. its one at owc with me and matty and matty from australia. should be dope. pokerface =) remix kid cudi
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-08-2009, 4:10 PM Reply   
I agree with what everyone has said about a little heavy on the editing, but more importantly, your shots are really good and the quality is excellent and we're lucky to have such quality videos shared so often.