Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (bachelor)      Join Date: May 2004       10-04-2006, 10:23 AM Reply   
There is no place to demo a wakeboard close to where I live, so I need some advise on the next board to buy. Any help is much appreciated. Here is my situation:

I am currently riding a 2005 Liquid Force Team 139. I have tried many other boards, but I love the speed and tracking of this board. This would be my perfect board, but the landings are too hard for my knees and the pop seems to be more distance rather than height. I recently bought a 2006 Liquid Force Shane 140. This board is killer at surface tricks, the landings are freaking perfect (pillow soft) and the board seems to slide out on sketchy lands – zero face plants the entire session. But the Shane felt really slow, even when I cranked it, parallel to the water. What I would like is a combination of the two a lighting fast board with tight tracking, straight up pop and pillow soft landings. I have been looking at the Liquid Force Watson and the Fish???

Stats:
Intermediate Rider
Weight: 210
Height: 5’10”
Boat: I/O – mellow wake, but decent when weighted.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-04-2006, 10:35 AM Reply   
Obrien Natual is fast, tracks well, has great pop and lands soft.

I've been on a TFD as I like a fast board with a center spine, but will be picking up a Natural soon.

I was on a Fish for a while, but ended up getting off of it cause it was slow. It rode and landed well, just wanted a little more board under me after a while.

I'm not some amazing rider or anything, btu like the same feel of board you do so take it for what it's worth.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-04-2006, 10:55 AM Reply   
06 CWB Flame or Pure are both fast boards with great pop and soft landings.
Check them out.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-04-2006, 10:58 AM Reply   
i ride a TFD and a subjekt (old shane). and the natural is on my list as well
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-04-2006, 11:03 AM Reply   
If you bend your knees more, you will land softer.

Also, if you come in to the wake with less speed, and pop/extend more off the top of the wake, you will go higher and not as far.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-04-2006, 11:06 AM Reply   
good points^
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-04-2006, 11:06 AM Reply   
"06 CWB Flame or Pure are both fast boards with great pop and soft landings"

I could pretty much say that about any board... that's the problem. Every board rides different for every person, I have had one person say they thought the Natural was slow and didn't like the pop. I think it is fast, and I love the pop. How does that happen?

The Natural kicks ass. The only way you will know is if YOU go ride it.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-04-2006, 11:22 AM Reply   
It could be the size of the board that is making your landings hard. I am 6'1 and 215 and ride a CWB Tattoo 143 and have never have hard landings on this board. Maybe try a 141 or 142?
Old    jay_23            10-04-2006, 11:52 AM Reply   
maybe your just landing wrong. the Team is one of the softest landing boards i've ridin. i had a knee injury couple years ago and thats the board i switched to. it's the 143 though, and i'm 6'3, 205 and it still rides super fast. hope this helps. good luck!!!!
Old     (bachelor)      Join Date: May 2004       10-04-2006, 12:01 PM Reply   
My landing are good, but it may be my stance. I like to ride with the bindings on the first set of holes...all the way inside and I like my feet just slightly angled outward. When I rode the Shane, I rode with the exact same stance, but the landings were so much more cushioned...and I believe it is due to the double concave, in comparison to the Teams double to single concave.
Old     (bachelor)      Join Date: May 2004       10-04-2006, 12:02 PM Reply   
Don't get me wrong the Team does land soft, but when compared to the Shane, its night and day. No Pain Whatsoever!
Old     (melanie_g)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-04-2006, 12:08 PM Reply   
I ride the Team and it has good pop and super soft landings. I love that board, going on two years riding it. Maybe you should move your bindings out more, all the way in seems like it would be painful to me.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-04-2006, 1:06 PM Reply   
i agree get a bigger board around 142 plus move your bindings outward a bit..
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-04-2006, 1:07 PM Reply   
are you stuck on liquid force? if not, give the cwb marius a shot. it has an awesome pop & edge, and has super soft landings.
Old     (lume1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-04-2006, 3:04 PM Reply   
I agree with Joe i have a tattoo 143 and its not bad at all...but i sometimes ride my friend`s Marius 140 and the pop and the landings are way waaaayyy better. Amising board give it a shot.
Old     (jovedawake)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-04-2006, 11:28 PM Reply   
Your team lands soft, make your stance wider like others have said. I know a wakeboard trainer and the first thing he does for his students is make their stance wide.

And do what Aden said for getting more height "Also, if you come in to the wake with less speed, and pop/extend more off the top of the wake, you will go higher and not as far."

Wake 2 wake is always softer...

(90% Rider, 10% Board!!!)
Old    r3612            10-09-2006, 8:20 PM Reply   
The CWB Transcend has a super super soft landing. Rode a CWB Prodigy as well as a n LF Team when I was demoing and well as soon as I put the Transcend on it was like taking off very consistently and landing on pillows. I"m not much for an abrubt 3 stage rocker so the Transcend fits me perfectly. Always pops hard and gives that same pop every time with not much buck like the abrbt 3-stage like the parks and new Absolute.

I'm 6ft 185lbs. Would say I"m advanced intermediate. Got Backroll, tantrum, scarecrow and working on roll to revert and 3's. I ride a steep peaky wake and the landings are soft.
Old     (brad24)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-09-2006, 8:26 PM Reply   
This might be a downgrade for you but I ride an 04 136 Litmus and love it. It pops really well and, like your team, is a very fast board. I like the way it rides a lot - I believe its very similar to the team right? Same concave shape, continuous rocker, six fin setup. . . I think it lands pretty softly but I see what you're saying about other boards landing softer - also, the heavier the board, the softer it lands (in my experience) - LF's are LIGHT in comparison to Hyperlites - the Shane may have been heavier than your Team. . .
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-09-2006, 8:32 PM Reply   
My team lands smooth as butter. wouldn't change it for the world. It lands really smooth in the flats.
Old     (chill720)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-10-2006, 6:54 AM Reply   
Try a Ronix Covin.
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       10-10-2006, 7:13 AM Reply   
Widening your stance may or may not work for you. I've tried to widen mine and at the widest setting my knees ache. Bringing it one hole in makes all the difference in the world.

Similar to you, I ride a Balance and LOVE its speed and pop, but it lands like a ton of bricks. I've ridden a handful of w2w boards designed to pop straight up, but that pretty much seems to be at the expense of speed. If you find something that fits the bill, I'd sure be interested.
Old     (fuel)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-10-2006, 8:05 AM Reply   
Try the O'brien Natural. Best board I have ever ridden. Landings are soft, the board is fast, tracks well when on edge, loose when flat, has removeable center fin (which I like to keep in on choppy days), and the pop is great.

I would adjust my stance if I were you. I am 5'5, 155 lbs. and I ride one in from the last set of holes.
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       10-10-2006, 7:02 PM Reply   
Joe, I rode the marius for a while and now ride the team, I can't believe that you would suggest that board. They are so different. I don't mean any harm but those boards are on way different spectrums.