Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (pimp131)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-08-2007, 8:39 AM Reply   
Here is a little example of the new cool feature in Adobe Premiere Pro CS3. Its called time mapping and personally i think its the best thing for wakeboarding videos. It lets you speed up slow down and reverse clips with out actually having to cut the clips. It always lets u created a curve so its not jumping from 100% to 70%, but going 100%, 99%, 98% etc... much smoother.

Check it out.

http://www.simplethoughtproductions.com/2007/09/26/cs3-premiere-time-remappig/
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-08-2007, 10:14 AM Reply   
Ya After Effects, Motion and FCP all have this as well. Time re-mapping is a cool feature. Motion has a pretty good one as well.
Old     (pimp131)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-08-2007, 12:36 PM Reply   
yea but it was always a pain to have to go into AE and slow down a clip... now u can do it from premiere pro!! whoohooo
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-08-2007, 3:58 PM Reply   
Nice, i dont use Premiere but if i did i would be stoked to.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-10-2007, 10:43 AM Reply   
yeah... ha! it only took Adobe 3 years to get that done in PPRO! The addition of Dynamic Link in CS2 made it easier to do the slow-mos in AE and see the effects immediately in PPRO, but nothing beats being able to do it directly in PPRO.

Now if Adobe can finally delivery on the Native P2 support as promised this year.. they'll only be 2 years behind on that one..
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-10-2007, 12:56 PM Reply   
I have no worries in FCP
Old     (pimp131)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-10-2007, 1:12 PM Reply   
thats cool, i was just posting it, just in case people didnt know. Btw, funny how adobe is offered for macs now, i guess some people do like it...
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-10-2007, 4:06 PM Reply   
? are you talking premiere? or just Adobe? Because Adobe AE, Photo, etc has been on macs for awhile now. But either way get way to get the word out.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       10-11-2007, 3:57 PM Reply   
allesandro, ya i find that funny to since all the mac guys i know worship final cut
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-11-2007, 4:12 PM Reply   
why is ae available for macs? i thought fcp did it all.
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-11-2007, 5:21 PM Reply   
I think its funny that y'all think its funny that PPO is on macs.....i dont know a single person who has it or why anyone would. Sorry guys but im happy with my FCS 2.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-11-2007, 10:16 PM Reply   
Hi.. I use Windows Movie Maker. what!?!? you think that's funny?
Old    kc700            10-17-2007, 6:16 PM Reply   
hmmm doesnt seem much different than cutting the clip and using transitions to smooth out the time change. although i suppose its quicker. oh well, guess ill never have the joy, damn i love my mac.
Old     (schrunk)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-04-2008, 7:58 AM Reply   
Time remapping is a great feature yes, however there is one thing that it will never touch that you will find in AE or Motion which is pixel motion/ optical flow.

Its hard to describe but when you slow down a clip below 50% with 60P footage or slow a 30/24fps down at all you will be repeating frames, and in some cases (such as with FCP) you can blend these frames, but bottom line is your faking slow motion with a software solution. This isnt bad at all, but it isnt great either.

What AECS3 and Motion have is a featured called pixel motion (AE) and optical flow (motion) that when frames are slowed down below their native speed the program will compare frame one to frame two and in the case of slowing down say 50% (adding an extra frame between each existing) the program will literally invent a new frame between the two that is a literally interpretation of what "should" be there. Its a super high end feature that sucks major render times but essentially allows you to slow your footage down to about 30-40% without a noticeable degeneration in quality (depending on how sharp your shutter was).

The main thing is that if your input is blurry and underexposed there is only so much you can do, but if you have some time try out this feature on some remapped footage in motion or AE, it makes for some very sexy "true" slow motion.

Hope this helps!
Old     (schrunk)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-04-2008, 8:02 AM Reply   
Oh and Travis I totally agree that Premiere on a mac is a really funny thing with FCP being the reason most people use a mac in the first place. Althou I just cut a three minute motion graphics piece and being able to dynamic link between premiere and AE for motion graphics intensive projects was a life saver, although my mac half of me cried when that happened.