Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    kx250frider617            06-01-2013, 10:57 PM Reply   
Im surprised that no company has designed a variable pitch prop for a wake boat. Just think of the benefits of that. It would almost be like shifting in a car but it would be smooth and unnoticeable. it probably would require a different shaft support but It could work like a cable actuated diff lock in a car. Im sure their really wouldn't be a market for a setup like that but with all this new technology, i wouldn't be surprised it it did.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-01-2013, 11:30 PM Reply   
very very difficult to have no vibration
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-01-2013, 11:40 PM Reply   
When did MB stop offering 2 speed transmissions in their boats? Seems like a 2 speed transmission would be a better option.
Old    kx250frider617            06-01-2013, 11:50 PM Reply   
Were they autos or manuals? I never knew they offered that. It would definitely be nice to run a crazy pitch prop for low and have your top end also.
Old     (robertstone9)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-02-2013, 6:58 PM Reply   
it's been done on outboards not sure about inboards http://www.torqueshift.aeromarine.com/
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-02-2013, 7:02 PM Reply   
They do it for airplane propellers...don't see why it couldn't be done in boats.

I still don't get why boats don't have gears like cars. It seems ridiculous that we are stuffing these huge engines into boats because we are basically running them only in first gear. If cars didnt have gears, think about what kind of engines we would be putting in there. I understand the drag of water may present challenges when shifting, but I feel like it shouldn't be that difficult. (And I heard pretty good things about the MB 2 speed...?)
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       06-02-2013, 8:03 PM Reply   
you could use a CVT to avoiding having to shift
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-02-2013, 8:19 PM Reply   
We had a Larson with a variable pitch prop. It was finicky and needed lots of attention to run properly. I heard the company went bankrupt because of warranty issues. It truly did feel like a 1-2 shift in a car. I think ours was a 15-21 pitch.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-03-2013, 7:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
you could use a CVT to avoiding having to shift
Have you seen the little motors they put behind these CVT's? Even your weakest 80's ski boat puts out a lot more torque than any of these CVT cars. They are normally put behind N/A 4 and 6 cylinder vehicles. A boat would shred one quickly.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-03-2013, 8:28 AM Reply   
CVT is just a fancy twin clutch set up like in a snowmobile or automatic four wheeler. In high horse power(200+ hp drag sleds, etc.) applications is not the clutch's that shred it's the belts. I think the cars are running a chain versus a belt to join the primary clutch to the secondary(variator). So the belt or chain is the weak point, not the clutches. What shreds them in snowmobiles is when you have a ton of studs in the track and everything hooks up really well traction wise. So with the slippage of a prop in water that would never be an issue. So it might actually work really well even with higher hp. I think mounting might be an issue as they do not work inline. Thats why you only see them in front wheel drive with transverse mounted engines.
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       06-03-2013, 1:04 PM Reply   
How about a hydrostatic transmition.... or.....

a Diesel!!!
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-03-2013, 1:46 PM Reply   
I think manufacturers should just concentrate on making boats heavier and adding more touchscreens. I don't feel like I burn enough gas and I'm sick of having to bring my iPad on the boat.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-03-2013, 2:02 PM Reply   
Eric--I love that post.