Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 29, 2007

Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-12-2007, 12:23 PM Reply   
Leo, that vid is hilarious.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-12-2007, 12:25 PM Reply   
This thread so lame!

Appreciate the posts by Ryan S., and Dave W., maybe there were other good ones, but I cannot stand to read this any further after hearing so much crying and bitching, ya'll sound like a bunch of middle school girls, then somebody asserts that Adkinson is arrogant, when that person has never even met the guy. What a joke!

Bunch of internet trolling clowns. Get a life. I've said it before, most of the hating on Soven is driven by jealousy in one form or another.
Old    00wakesetter            11-12-2007, 12:36 PM Reply   
HATERAIDE!!!!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       11-12-2007, 12:36 PM Reply   
Wow, I've never heard Adkison painted with that brush before. He is without a doubt the most humble pro I've met. When he got his first pro model from CWB, he sent me one with a thank you saying that WakeWorld was a big reason why he was able to get his own board. Obviously, his skills were the reason he got his own board, but for a rider to do something like that...I was blown away.

I spent some time talking with Andrew at the Push Process premiere on Saturday night and he was as nice and humble as ever. The first thing he said was that he wants to get some more questions answered for the readers of WakeWorld and now that his off-season has officially started, he's going to do just that.

Keep in mind that Andrew's kind of a goof off, so perhaps some of his clowning around has been taken the wrong way, but I really don't see how he could ever come across as arrogant.
Old    00wakesetter            11-12-2007, 12:53 PM Reply   
That suprises me also. I was at the Tige Pro am this year and while i was eating dinner Andrew came and sat down at the table we where eating at. (he knew a few pepole that we were with) The first thing he did was introduce himself to everyone he didnt know and and sat down and started bsin. Very humble and fun person to talk to.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-12-2007, 12:55 PM Reply   
My opinion, I understand that the pros arent the only ones saying its just great to be out here, but, as though it's they who are able to humble themselfs in the sport. theyre content, theyre making money for riding, the well known ones are also a large percent, say your favorite rider is rusty, all the sudden rusty stops winning events, he's still your favorite rider right? the loyal fans give the rider attention, and sponsors enjoy that attention as well, the best example of that is the vandall, one of the sickest riders ever in my "humble" opinion. he didn't win a single stop of the pro tour, or even podium for that matter, but I bet almost everyone on here could name all his sponsors. by having that chill attitude, they make their lives so much better, not as much stress, given there will still be quite a bit, and now theyre even more like-able by the public for being so chill, keep in mind though that could be the downfall of all progreession. . as for soven, its that attitude that is motivation for more progression in the sport.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-12-2007, 12:58 PM Reply   
Exactly, Dave, thankyou. Of all the pros I've met and hung out with (PLENTY over the years). Andrew is among the top three nicest, coolest, most thoughtful, humble. Right up up there with Murray and Mike Schwenne. The fact that somebody would spread such misinformation (including both getting it wrong and then caring enough to spread it) just speaks to the fact that there unfortunately is a whole aspect of our community that is childish, unsophisticated, gullable, hateful. Go chase after Hannah Montana, you bunch of stalkers, and quit worrying about what Phil Soven is up to. YOU DON'T KNOW HIM. Get a life, or at least act like you have one.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-12-2007, 1:49 PM Reply   
Quit hating on the haters, and get a life yourself. Everyone is entitled to their opinions whether based on real experiences or not. That is the price the Pros pay for being professionals, they are in the limelight, it can be both positive and/or negative. I'm not agreeing with all the haters, but I do think, as fans and spenders, they have a right to voice their opinions...

BTW, whoever said anything negative about AA, either caught him on a bad day or misunderstood him. I've had the opportunity to be around him a few times, and he was very humble and nice every time. I even demoed his board because of it to see if I liked it.
Old    00wakesetter            11-12-2007, 1:59 PM Reply   
In the words of Kat Williams "let the haters hate. Thats what haters are for. You got your job, and they have theirs"
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-12-2007, 2:35 PM Reply   
WHAT?!?!?! peple hate them cus theyre pros? they deserve it because they excel in an area? hating on the haters? what has the world come to? you can dislike theyre style of riding, having never met them, say they aren't as good as so and so, but dont bag on who they are as people when you haven't met them. andrew is so down to earth, so chill, and you [not you byrd] say he's arrogant? I dislike sheckler but im not gonna go around spreading some false personal perception.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-12-2007, 3:18 PM Reply   
Byrd, I normally appreciate your posts. But I just can't understand where you're coming from on this one.

So we should say what we want, about whoever we want, whether it's true or false, and it's okay because we support the industry that pays them?

Am I just reading this all wrong?
Old     (lf23)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-12-2007, 3:30 PM Reply   
After reading what people say about AA I just realized the idiocy of this thread and can't believe I wasted my time reading what people have to say about people they know NOTHING of.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-12-2007, 3:39 PM Reply   
AA is one of the nicest pros out there by far and from my experience which has been a few phillip has not. I will say one time back in the day, me and my buddy were riding in a gravel tour and reed hansen made fun of my buddy for falling on a crow mobe and phillip goes "shut up reed, like you can do a crow mobe." That was nice of him but other times just hasnt been that way
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-12-2007, 6:32 PM Reply   
I'm sorry, I thought this was a forum about people discussing wakeboarding topics, thoughts and ideas. I didn't know that everyone was suppose to think alike and have the same opinion. I guess unless we hang out with these riders all the time we will never really know what they are really like, but from the magazines, tv interviews and chance meetings with pros, different people will have different views on different riders. I don't know Phillip Soven, never met the kid. But from what I've seen he is a sick rider with mad skills and a cocky rider. Does that make him any less of a pro? No. But it didn't fit the attitude I noticed from other top riders in the industry. Remember, you guys(people posting) don't know how other people view pros and how other people take what pros say in interviews or how a pros interactions with people affect how they see pros.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-13-2007, 5:06 AM Reply   
You guys better be careful talking about Phillip. Last thread that I mentioned I didn't like Phillip's attitude I got sent a bunch of nasty hate emails...from???? and I wasn't the only one...
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-13-2007, 6:49 AM Reply   
J-Rod, let me try to clarify...

IMO, Professionals in any sport or industry are public figures. We, as non-pros, collectively spend millions of dollars so they can do what they do. Some are very appreciative of this and others are not. It's pretty obvious who gives back to this sport and who doesnt. I'm not going to kiss someones ass just because they are a great wakeboarder and they are on top. They get my respect when they stop and take pictures, talk, etc. with the fans, when they put on kid's clinics, when you see them in multiple videos(not just their team video), when you see them on Pull, when you see someone post a thank you thread on WW to a pro for taking their time to just say "Hi", Etc. To me that tells me that everyone likes working with and being around them. They just dont show up for contests, win, and go back home. Barry Bonds is an example to further clarify what I'm talking about. I dont know him personally, but I have seen and read enough interviews to know that he will never be my favorite baseball player even though he is one of the best. If you are into NASCAR, Tony Stewart is another example. Obviously, there are a few immature posters that enjoy ripping PS just to be ripping him, and I dont agree with what they are saying, but since it is their opinion I do agree that they have their own opinion and should be able to voice it on a public forum. You and I, or anyone else, doesnt know if it's true or not what they are saying, so what right do we have to censor what they say?

BTW, I am not suggesting in any way that PS is the Barry Bonds of the Wakeboarding industry, I was just using that as an example. I truly feel sorry for the situation PS is in and I wish it changes for him soon.

(Message edited by Byrd on November 13, 2007)
Old     (josh_r_skater)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-13-2007, 7:38 AM Reply   
WOW !
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-13-2007, 8:01 AM Reply   
so true.... ps never took steroids or gh like bonds. <-----totally joking

ive never met phil and i think his riding is spectacular, but i don't think people are hating on him just because he is on top. i think if rusty had won everything this year, people would still be cheering him on.

i don't think it's because he wins shows. who doesn't want to win the shows.

it must be his attitude. i don't know any of them, but that many people can't be wrong. i have never heard anybody say one bad thing about murray.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-13-2007, 1:33 PM Reply   
sniff, sniff, Byrd, that was beautiful!
Upload
Old     (goatroper222000)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-13-2007, 3:56 PM Reply   
After watching those video clips, i have come to realize that after all the comps ive watched, im pretty sure i have never seen phillip fall.. He is an amazing rider and everyone should respect him for that. Froggy is like the Ricky Bobby of wakeboarding. In my opinion, as long as you got what it takes to back it up, talk all the trash you can. And phillip definitely has what it takes to back anything he says up. Who cares if he is cocky or not( i dont know him so i dont know), respect him for what he does. im tired of him gettin all the crap. lets start a few threads about how he is killin it out there and cannot be beat!

just my .02
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-13-2007, 6:01 PM Reply   
Look at all the post he has gotten. There are two others right now besides this. The saying is any publicity is good publicity. It comes with the territory. Look at Payton Manning- he is getting ripped and he is the favorite pro athlete. Still, there are plenty of Manning haters. You know what is worse than people hating on you when you are top dog, when nobody cares.

I bet you most all of the pro would gladly take the hits as long as people are watching. It also is good for the sport in some ways. Think of how many would go to a tournament or watch it on TV hoping Danny or Rusty will beat him. This is entertainment- Keep it up PS.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-13-2007, 6:23 PM Reply   
Ricky Bobby huh?

If you don't ride a PS3 then F*%K Y0U!
Old     (raketball)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-14-2007, 10:44 AM Reply   
Being a public forum, everyone on here will have their own perception about PS and I think they should be allowed to voice their opinion.
One I way I look at it as it's the same thing with boats, equipment, and everything else anyone says on here when people start bagging on opinions. Seems like the same thing to me with the obvious exception that this is about a person. The one thing I think nobody can argue with would be the fact that PS is a dominant contest rider.
T
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       11-15-2007, 6:55 AM Reply   
I need to go on record as standing full corrected on Andrew A. I can't tell you how much of an uninformed dipstick I feel like at the moment.

I definitely tried to clarify my comments by saying that it was something I sensed based on short interviews, and that First Hand piece, and thus was just a weird knee jerk reaction. But who is the jerk now? Me.

I do apologize. To you all here and to him. Making judgments or even claims to a person's relative humility based on a few tv spots is not a good undertaking. As a public figure I am sure that Andrew understands that is the risk you have to take - but with regard to my comment - I apologize and retract it fully.

People have this habit of saying "its just the internet and you can say anything you want" and that is true to some degree if you choose to post anonymously. I choose not to hide my identity in this way and I am thus accountable for what I say - on purpose. But I missed the mark on this one - and I see that quite clearly.

Big screw up on my part and time to eat crow. In fact I am devouring crow at this moment.

(Message edited by juniorhawk on November 15, 2007)
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       11-15-2007, 11:49 AM Reply   
Right on Eric, that's what its all about and it takes a man to get on here a say I was wrong and apologize.
Hows that crow taste??
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       11-15-2007, 12:49 PM Reply   
The crow is delicious. Yum. I really have been enjoying it. Actually I really mean what I said. I was clearly off base.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-15-2007, 12:50 PM Reply   
Wow Erik, takes a big person to do what you just did. kudos to you. Andrew is an awesome guy and I believe a great role model to the kids that are coming up.
Old    00wakesetter            11-15-2007, 12:57 PM Reply   
Eric, what made you change your mind?
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       11-15-2007, 4:02 PM Reply   
A bunch of things. Among them realizing when to shut my pie hole. Also: being wrong.
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-15-2007, 4:25 PM Reply   
Erik, as another person who doesn't post anonymously, I commend your apology and taking responsibility.

Maybe you'll set an example to the people that talk a lot of Sh*t...

peace
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       11-15-2007, 5:53 PM Reply   
Ryan - big fan of yours from long time. Assuming you are who I think you are. There is really only one Ryan Siebring that I know (of) - and I bet it's you...

Thanks - I appreciate it.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-16-2007, 12:04 AM Reply   
Haven't met Andrew personally, but did see him at...PWT Minnesota 2 seasons ago i think it was...walked by he was talking to some poeple...walked out to my truck....6000 miles away, give or take some...walked back...there he was still talkin to that same group of poeple. They were all just laughin' it up. Seems like a pretty chill guy, and i think all the posts above kinda back up my impression
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-16-2007, 8:29 AM Reply   
eric are you married? i only know married men to admit to being wrong...hahaha

for real tho that's stand up. most people appreciate that kind of thing. i do
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       11-16-2007, 11:20 AM Reply   
jr... Yup - happily married - with a little future professional wakeboarder who was born in March. That stuff is certainly good practice for apology refinement. I never really thought about it that way!
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-16-2007, 11:55 AM Reply   
crow?
Old    00wakesetter            11-16-2007, 12:00 PM Reply   
Yea you know crowmobe?
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-16-2007, 4:22 PM Reply   
gotcha. hate to restart the whole controversy all over again with P Soven, but does anyone know if there is anyone else that does suicides [let go of rope, get it again,.... thats what its called right.................]?
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-16-2007, 7:15 PM Reply   
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php/Scrubs-of-the-South---Preview-video_wakeboarding-photos.html?medid=6176

About a minute and a half in you'll see Mr nice guy himself AA doing one
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-17-2007, 9:04 PM Reply   
oh yea the kamikaze, almost forgot all about that. he told me he cheats on em now but those are still crazy. what board is that? i remember danny was riding that in boombox.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       11-17-2007, 11:45 PM Reply   
I don't care one way or the other about all this political correctness but I do know that anyone who has "2nd place doesn't matter" on their Myspace page ..... is cocky.

BTW .... It has been said many times, I know but AA is definately a down to earth cool cat.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-18-2007, 5:45 PM Reply   
Can we infer anything by the fact that so many people have commented on his riding in a positive way, and practically no one has commented on his personality in a positive way? I would think by now that someone out there in our small community would post up a story or a TY to PS by now for being nice or helpful.

One bad comment about AA and look at the responses, multiple bad comments about PS, and all anyone can say is "but, he's such a good rider..."

BTW, Trevor, Rob Struharik someone does it, Suicide 360, in 12 Honkeys too...

(Message edited by Byrd on November 18, 2007)
Old     (wakeupnride)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-18-2007, 5:57 PM Reply   
Harf did that handle trick thing during a clinic I was at this past summer....way cool...I wasn't sure if it was by accident or not but he still recovered the handle
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-18-2007, 6:01 PM Reply   
isn't that "suicide" or "kamikaze" technically called an Osmosis? maybe i'm way off here...i know i've seen it called that a few different places
Old     (wakeupnride)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-18-2007, 6:05 PM Reply   
I would of asked him at the time but I didn't think he planned it but I guess I should not be underestimating a rider of that caliber, he probably did it in on purpose
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-18-2007, 6:51 PM Reply   
The osmosis is when you do a 360 (or greater i suppose) where instead of handle passing from right hand to left to right, you go right hand to right hand, letting go of the handle for a moment.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-18-2007, 11:13 PM Reply   
Speaking of which, I always kind of infered [careful word choice here] that PS is a good guy. keep in mind I'm infereing off of very very very little, from the two times Ive seen interaction from him. Once at the kelowna stop in BC, he was talkin with I Think JD about the scene in kelowna. also it seems like the LF team messes with the younger riders like they did to tino in encore. then in the truth they started going before soven was in the boat, he just kinda laughed. kind of a weird thing to contribute to this thread, but I think it'd be cool to spend a couple sets with soven.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-19-2007, 7:42 AM Reply   
hope i'm saying this right. from what i have heard. an osmosis is basically any spin (even 180) when the rider lets go and grabs on with the same hand. so phillip's suicide blind may also be an osmosis 180

and as far as i know. i dont think anyone has ever done an osmosis 360. i think osmosis 540s are easier

(is all that right?)
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-19-2007, 12:49 PM Reply   
I think of of murray's first hits in Counterfeit This is an osmosis 360...this is just off the top of my dome here.....i'll have to watch that when i get to work, but i think it is.