Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-21-2004, 12:18 PM Reply   
Last night i felt the need for a bigger wake, a fatsack,500 pounds of sand, and 60 gallons of gas werent quite enough so i grabbed my forty gallon beverage cooler (with a seal on it) filled er up and was surprised to not have a single drop leak the whole session.....anybody else got any other cheap ballast ideas? post em
Old    foobysmacker            07-21-2004, 12:20 PM Reply   
fat friends
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-21-2004, 12:23 PM Reply   
goes without saying, more people=more weight....but thanks for the bright comment
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-21-2004, 12:30 PM Reply   
what kind of boat do you have that holds 60 gaLLONS OF GAS??? My SAN cost me 90 to fill up on the lake yesterday and has maybe a 35 -40 gallon tank. were u boarding behind a cabin cruiser?!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-21-2004, 12:40 PM Reply   
Wakesetter LSVs have a 55 gallon tank. I'll fill up your boat if you fill up mine
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-21-2004, 4:08 PM Reply   
haha yeah, the coolers are ok. back before i had more sacs i used like 3 or 4 coolers. it was hella janky, but worked ok.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-21-2004, 4:25 PM Reply   
Hymaeringo - I believe Mike Murphy probably has a Calabria Pro-V. I believe their tank size is 65 gallons.

When we want more weight, we go to Target and get the cheap plastic bins with lids and fill them. The only probably is dumping them can be a challenge.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-21-2004, 4:35 PM Reply   
aside from the fatsack, 500lbs of sand, 60gal of gas, and your 40gal beverage cooler, do you have any other ballast, such as an internal ballast system?
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-22-2004, 7:27 AM Reply   
no other ballast system, what seems to be the best weight ratio for people? i have the sand up front under the seats, the sack in the *walkway* of the boat, the cooler in the back, oh yeah and the 60 gallon gas tank is under the floor in the middle of the boat
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-22-2004, 5:04 PM Reply   
use walmart gasoline tanks, 6 gallon tanks = $4. buy about 10 of them and place them in random spots on your boat. 60 gallons = 480lbs.
Old     (hypedrider7)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-23-2004, 10:56 AM Reply   
Back in the day long before fat sacs. We used coolers strapped to the teak with bungies, then progressed to cooler and two trash cans full of water with the lid duck taped shut. Then we had a queen sized water bed in the back. That got a little crazy when you would turn for a doubleup and all the water ran to one side of the boat. Also, bought rubbermade boxes and filled them with sand. The boxes were about 75 lbs and could be moved around when we didn't have an extra person in the boat to get the wake even.

We have come alot ways with ballast systems and custom sacs since that time.

Jerrod
Hypedrider7@yahoo.com

(Message edited by hypedrider7 on July 23, 2004)
Old    foobysmacker            07-23-2004, 11:10 AM Reply   
I used to have an I/O runabout with small bench seats on either side of the motor box in the back. I got some rubbermaid storage bins (I'm guessing 30-40 gallons each) and they fit perfectly under each seat. Kept a bucket in one of them and manually filled and emptied them at the lake. Started envisioning a plumbed ballast system for the boat when I realized I was already years behind everyone else-- so I ended up buying an inboard V-drive before building my custom auto-ballast.

Still, the tubs worked great. At 3/4 full they wouldn't leak and actually filled and drained pretty quick (with a lot of brute force bucket dumps, of course...)