Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (GatorMD97)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-06-2012, 5:28 PM Reply   
I've reached 40 and blown out my ACL in both knees; I've decided it's time to make wake surfing my primary water sport; however, I still want a boat with a great wakeboard wake for my son and daughter to grow into (ages 10 and 8). I have narrowed my search to basically 3 boats (Tige RZ2, Super Air Nautique 230, and the Malibu VLX). I have spent considerable time researching each of these boats but I can find very little information on the Nautique 230 in regards to wake surfing. I hate to start another this boat or that boat thread but any constructive input I can get regarding these boats, especially the 230 would be greatly appreciated. I have very limited time to test drive boats and not many dealers close so I want to get as much information and as many opinions as possible prior to any demos I set up. Here are my criteria:

1. The boat must be a 2009 or newer model year. I will not purchase a new boat ever again.

2. Wake surfing is my primary goal and I want a surf style wake with a LONG POCKET vs the skim style as I have extensive experience in real wave surfing and prefer a STEEP FACE with a crisp lip. I am 6' and 200 lbs if that makes a difference with the push of the wake.

3. My son and I both ride GOOFY, so the boat must put out a good starboard wake.

4. All ballast must be hidden and custom sacks must be able to be plumbed into the boat for full automation (I have no problem spending the cash to do it right). I'd like to stay away from fixed weights.

5. I have a Malibu dealer 35 miles from my house and a Tige dealer 100 miles away, there is not a close Nautique dealer. I spoke with the Malibu dealer today and he will be happy to service any boat I get.

6. The wife and I are into "luxury" and I am willing to pay for what I get. I'm really not interested comparing any other brand boats, I want to stick to these specific boats but would consider most anything in the 21' to 23' range from any of these manufacturers. I think the Malibu 24 LSV is to big for my boat house.

7. I would like to keep the budget max in the mid to low $70K range but will go higher for the right deal on a newer model if the deal is right.

8. I don't think I want a base engine in any of these boats as I plan on adding whatever weight is necessary to get the right surf wake.

Like I said, I don't want to start a flame war about which boat is better. I am merely looking for advice from people who have FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE with these particular boats. I have an appointment to see a 2011 230, a 2010 RZ2 and a 2012 VLX next week. Any advice on known problems and recalls on these boats is also much appreciated as well as links to boats that you know of that are for sale. Thanks in advance!

Austin