Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (kzlucas)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-30-2006, 5:36 PM Reply   
Anyone know something about these boats? Are they the same hull as the 94'-02' Mastercraft Prostar? How is the wake? I have tried searching but can't really find anything. There is one for sale for $15k. Comes with a Samson tower, 480 hours, 1500lb automated ballast sytem. How does that price sound? thanks for your input... mucho appreciated
Old    absolutofft            06-30-2006, 7:20 PM Reply   
I have one, the wake is alright, but you would be better off searching around for a prostar 205.
Old     (kzlucas)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-30-2006, 7:49 PM Reply   
I forgot to include the year... it's a 1998 prostar.

absolutofft can you expand on "the wake is alright" - any other boats you have ridden behind to compare it too, was it weighted, tower. does the price sound reasonable (if you don't mind, what did you pay)? I just want to make a well researched decision.
Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-30-2006, 8:48 PM Reply   
I have a '93 Prostar and with enough weight it makes heads turn. Best of all for an older boat it is nothing les thay quality built. One thing though, with out the open bow it gets cramped when you have five people in the boat. I have four 250# sacs and a 450# sac for the bow. The closed bow works good for us on trips because that is where all the stuff goes. Out of sight and out of mind when at night. If you plan on just wakeboarding it might not be the right boat so a 205 might be better for you. Overall you can't fo wrong with a MC. Also check on www.tmcowners.com for more info.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-30-2006, 10:27 PM Reply   
Kyle-
My boss has a sportstar, Ive only ridden it once but it had a zeroflex tower, and with 5 people in the boat and a 300lb sac in the back locker, honostly our old 1992 bayliner capri threw a more solid wake without any weight to it. Just my opinion and like I said I only rode it once so I dont know what its capable of... but from a wakeboard standpoint I'd look for the prostar 205 like aaron said.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-01-2006, 7:41 AM Reply   
A 98 Prostar and a SprtStar are 2 different boats.
The SportStar is a smaller version of the 205.
Sac out it should be GREAT!
The 98 Prostar one of the worst years for MasterCraft hulls I would pass
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-03-2006, 7:08 AM Reply   
"The 98 Prostar one of the worst years for MasterCraft hulls I would pass"

Depends on which prostar you are talking about.

If the boat is indead a sportstar, then 15k sounds too high. They marketed those boats as entry level boats, and if I recall correctly, they sold new for around 20K.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-03-2006, 7:35 AM Reply   
Since he was Comparing a SportStar hulls to Pro star hulls I assumed (there I go again I gotta stop that) he was talking about the ProStar 190.
In 98 they turned the 1997 ProStar190 into the SportStar and came out with the new hull that was not a shining moment for MasterCraft!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-03-2006, 9:01 AM Reply   
Gotcha.