Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-22-2004, 2:25 PM Reply   
Saw on the news last night City of Lodi approved the use permit for Boardstock pro rider event on Lodi Lake. Bad news is they declined any motorcycle exibition. Stanislaus County really wants to keep this event. They estimate revenues @ 5 million to local economy. Hopefully Rob Stimmel still will proceed with event.

IMO: It should be fun place to go and watch and spectators will be able to get in water and cool off. It is still not to far from all the parties and the delta and the upside for me its still very close, so all in all things are looking up.

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-22-2004, 2:50 PM Reply   
Lodi??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Lodi is the WORST possible location for Boardstock! Lodi Lake? It's about the size of a football field!

It's a shame the name Boardstock is attached to that event.
Old     (zipe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-22-2004, 6:05 PM Reply   
$5 mill to local economy?????? Ummm, yeah.

Any word on dates?

Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-22-2004, 6:14 PM Reply   
Sounds good Rick. Keep us posted. So I assume you won't be attending Joe? What a shame... NOT!
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-22-2004, 6:50 PM Reply   
Joe dont bag on it. Wherever they do it is where its gonna happen and whether you choose to go and support the sport you love is up to you. Maybe its not the best place to have it but im tired of people ragging on boardstock. How do you think it makes the people feel that put tons of time and effort into the event? Give em a break. Also im sure there will still be a lot of riding and filming done on the delta.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-22-2004, 7:17 PM Reply   
being able to get in the water to cool off sounds like a nice change. I won't miss the motocross, but I'm sure it helps draw a bigger crowd so that sucks that it won't happen.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-22-2004, 7:33 PM Reply   
Good point, Kevin.

Problem is, it really has gone downhill since it first came to the Delta. I'm sorry that offends people, but aside from people that party at Tower Park, everyone else thinks the "grassroots" feeling is no longer there. Talk to the people that went to the original ones. People sure appreciate the pros' exhibition, but the rest of it is just something corporates charge you admittion for.

Sure, it'll never be like the old days, and I'm sure the promoters and coordinators work hard to put together a good event. I suppose it just needs a lot of cleaning up, as far as the glamorization of alcohol and drugs go.
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-22-2004, 9:20 PM Reply   
Well i dunno about you but wakeboarding has turned into a family thing and i dont know if you have kids but i know if i did i dont think i would want them on a houseboat at Lake Shasta because we know its not where a kid should be. I would much rather pay Admission and know that my kid will be safe. }}
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-22-2004, 10:37 PM Reply   
Kevin, yes, wakeboarding is a family thing. Yes, I do have a son. No, I would never bring him to Boardstock.

Sure, the houseboats had them too, during the Shasta days. But, from what I've experienced/heard, I'm willing to bet the number of sexual assaults are higher now than the Shasta days.

Most of the punks were kept out of Boarstock too, since older events required having a boat. All the "actions" were at the houseboats, and were not easily accessible. Now at most recent events, 14 year olds are participating in the partying at Tower Park.

Like stated earlier, most people appreciate the pros' exhibition, and that's cool, for all the kids and the kid in all of us.

(I hope you don't sense any frustrations or anger towards you in my posts. I'm simply stating my position and its reasoning. By no means do I mean to disrespect you or any other member(s).)
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-23-2004, 4:58 PM Reply   
Well put Kevin. To bad some others don't think out their posts before typing.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-23-2004, 6:20 PM Reply   
car loads of trouble poored into tower park last year. I talked to plenty of guys who thought boardstock WAS the party at tower park. They had no idea that it even envolved wakeboarding. TP last year was packed with 'tough-guy-a**holes' who were just there to grab on girls and start fights. Making it a boat access event kept a lot of trouble out of the event. You're still going to have naked people, drinking and drugs, but at least you could eliminate some of the fighting and trouble makers by making it boat access again.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-24-2004, 3:53 AM Reply   
Hmmmm maybe, just maybe things like that are giving the Sport of Wakeboarding a bad name? Or is it just sheer Guilt by Association?
I quit attending many Sporting Events due to obnoxiouness of the Arse-grabbing and debauchery that occurs.
Why can't people enjoy the sport for the sport itself?
Old     (wakewilly)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-25-2004, 12:33 AM Reply   
I've always thought that BoardStock on Lake Shasta is as good as it gets and I still think that way. I think it's great for the sport to get the publicity that it gets from all the locals in Stockton and the Bay Area that don't know a whole lot about the sport. The whole motocross gig is sorta cool too. But when you get down to it, (IMO) it's so much better when you're on a lake in the middle of nowhere (Lake Shasta) that is a pain to get to unless you're a redding red-neck.
When I was at Boardstock on Shasta in '99, it was a totally different atmosphere than the delta. Sure the sport has grown a lot since then, but when you have to travel by boat across a huge lake to come to a party in the middle of the lake, it's indescribable. When everyone there is totally stoked on the sport and was hard-core enough to travel as far as 15 hours with a boat, the atmosphere was just soo much better(IMO). The further you get boardstock from an urban area, the better, I think. That way, the atmosphere consists of people who love the sport etc. NOT people who just come up at night for the party. Also, spectator boats is where it's at. There's nothing like chillin on your loaded wakeboard boat listening to your system while see Parks land a Double Half-Cab role 20ft away. (that was one of my many experiences at Boardstock in '99). Anyways, I highly doubt that Boardstock'll hit Shasta anytime soon, but I think that it's the best thing that could happen for it. You'd obviously have to drop the MotoCross and halfpipe comps, but personally, I'd much rather just have the original Boardstock without all the extra stuff to attract attention.
haha,
just my 2 cents,

willy
Old     (gitair77)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-25-2004, 6:06 AM Reply   
If everyone went out to Mildred on the delt and rafted-up, Houseboats to. It would be similar to SHasta(still not the same). Mildred is a large body of water easely gotten to by boat. Plenty of room. Alot of the houseboats went her the first Delta year. How about a large log boom to break wakes with small boats tied to it and across the way all the larger boats. perfect water! Still easey access to Lost Isle and store and gas. 15 minutes by boat from Tower. What do you think? Who needs city sponcership. Remember boardstock is about fun and boarding with out the hipe.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-25-2004, 9:09 AM Reply   
Kevin,good insight for someone your age man.

Good post.
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-25-2004, 10:51 PM Reply   
Jib - I know that the houseboat companies put Mildred "off limits" due to danger of hitting submerged objects. So I don't know if they could pull it off again in that spot? It was a fun time out there and was nice to hang out w/ everyone on the flotilla..........
Old    deltahoosier            01-26-2004, 9:04 AM Reply   
Just change the name and start a new grass roots event. Call it "Burning Boat" or something. Kind of like "Burning Man" out in the Nevada desert. Get it away from people like Chris said. Just let the boat stores and wakeboard websites know about it and change it every year. It will be our dirty little secret. The local lakes will only hear rumors and then it will be too late. Besides they would all love good business late in September.
Old    jetgofish            01-26-2004, 9:08 AM Reply   
Boardstock '03 was my first ever 'Stock. I prefer to think of it as the events that took place on the deepwater channel in Stockton, not the horrid events that took place at Tower Park!

Though I was disappointed in the vendor representation at the actual Boardstock events, I was enthused and stoked to see the pro's riding! The one frustration I found was the narrow channel and the constant requested for spectator to remove themselves from the path of the riders. I recall one pass where the rider threw the rope and there was about a 5 minute delay due to boat traffic crossing what should have been the rider’s path! So frustrating to see!

The debauchery that took place at Tower Park was disgusting and a disgrace to wakeboarding. You can bet that I won't return to the Tower Park party ... not after the experience I had! I don't know if any one recalls the stabbing that took place around 1 am, which I might add resulted in a death! To me, this isn't wakeboarding and to me that isn't how wakeboarders are!

Joe, I respect your feelings, however I do see that a smaller venue has it's pro's and con's. I do see how not having spectator boats will be a bonus, but at the same time I see how it will take away from the "true" feeling of the old boardstocks.

Kevin, that is very good insight, but I would like to see more of the pro's there. I believe this was on a previous BS post, how it seems fewer and fewer pro riders attend BS. Personly, I'd like to see BS explode, I guess like it "used" to be! I wouldn't know, but to see more than 4 riders and also to see a few of the female riders, that would add some stoke!

Jib, Mildred does have a huge potential for a "Shasta" style BS, however as Levi mentions there is the factor of submerged objects. Mildred used to be a farming field and was flooded at one point due to high rains and damaged levees. For obvious reason the farmers were unable to remove farming equipment and fencing, today, those items can still be found residing on the Delta's bottom! Another problem with Milderd is it's openess, summer or fall winds can pick up pretty quickly which can result in immediate chop or "crappy water".

It sounds to me that we have a huge variable of people to cator to and not every one is going to be happy. Not every one is going to apperciate or like the venue setting of which BS officals are going to chose. I think we should just take do with what is offered to us and make our own decisions on whether to go or not to attend, remember it's your stoke and drive that allows others to get involved. Wakeboarding already has a negative stigma hanging over it's head...to me (IMO) the party at Tower Park is what should go, especially with the amount of underage drinkers, fights and bag stigma that TP gives wakeboarding...

Just my 2 cents!

(Message edited by jetgofish on January 26, 2004)
Old     (wakewilly)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-26-2004, 10:36 AM Reply   
Teri I totally agree with you. The stuff that goes on at Tower park is trash and it's gotten out of hand. That's why I think BS should be taken away from urban areas and out into the middle of nowhere like it was with shasta. Sure the party is probably still as big, but there's only one reason that everyone's driven many hours out of the way with a boat, and that's for the love of wakeboarding. People arn't just going to drink and get smashed like Tower Park. Plus, if BS is in the middle of a lake like shasta, you reduce the clientel that can attend to people who have a boat. This leaves all trashy groups that stab people and all the 14 and 15 year-olds at home just due to the fact that they don't love the sport enough to go that far out of the way to attend it. Plus, usually those people don't have boats which leaves them stuck on the shore.

I know that Redding and Lake Shasta don't want BS comming back, but what about Bullard's Bar or Trinity? I was on Trinity over the summer and it was Beautiful. Pretty much glass all day and there was NO ONE there. I mean NO ONE. All I was thinkin the whole time was good of a place this would be for BS. The only issue with Trinity is, the long haul up into the mountains with the boat. Bullard's Bar is pretty much in the same boat as Trinity. There arn't usually very many people there and the water is almost always good. I'm trying to figure out why the BS people havn't tried to persue these lakes.
haha, there's 2 more of my cents,

willy
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-26-2004, 10:47 AM Reply   
the BS people want to make $$. there is no $$ to be made by 'promoters' if everyone just meets up at some lake and rafts up. however it is a much more fun party. I used to seriously consider travelling across the country to go to BS, however in its current state it is not even a thought that crosses my mind. put it back on some lake where you have to get there by boat and there is no admission fee and it is only wakeboarding and I'll come out for it.
Old     (sacdeep)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-27-2004, 2:47 AM Reply   
If I remember right BoardStock was originally set up for Riders, wakeboard related companies, and pro shop employees to get together and share the sport they love Wakeboarding at one of the great wakeboarding venues Lake Shasta on the 2nd weekend of September. But what it grew into was an incredible party of wakeboarders from far and near. But this thing was getting outta before it got to Stockton, in 99 they tried to charge boats to access the area, they wanted sponsors on one side and the regular population on the other, which also didnt work. They let people camp on shore, which was probaly intended for the people who couldnt get a houseboat to particpate in the fun but it didnt work out that way. It brought the local riff-raff to the event that caused trouble like stealing and fights. I cant say I didnt have fun at BS but the those days are over and the Shasta BS is never coming back. Let the BS now be what it is entertainment, nothing more nothing less. But if someone wants to try to start a annual get together of wakeboarders for a weekend or more I'll hitch up th FILTHY WHORE with her 40 hp outboard and the Malibu, and tell some old stories and make some new ones