Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Meyeronfire)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-03-2013, 6:56 AM Reply   
Hey guys have an 03 Supra SSV with an Indmar Vortec 325HP, was wondering if it would be possible to change the oil and filter myself and if yall could through me any tips and advice that would be great. I also want to hear how often people change their oil and filter and their general maintenance for boat and trailer. Pics or videos would be great!
Old     (BlazeSr)      Join Date: Dec 2012       08-03-2013, 9:20 AM Reply   
Oil and filter every 50hr.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-03-2013, 2:34 PM Reply   
Oil and filter ever 45-50 hours for engine, I also change ATF fluid in transmission at same intervals. Its only another $6-8 in fluid do the transmission and only takes about 10 minutes more. I do the V-drive every 100 hours.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-03-2013, 3:10 PM Reply   
Use a Mityvac 7201 vacuum/pressure pump to drain and fill your fluids.Also a freezer bag over top your oil filter prevents making a mess in the bilge area. I change my oil every 50 hours.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-04-2013, 7:39 AM Reply   
I have a question to add.

How long do you guys let you boat run before changing fluid? I try and let mine warm up (10-15mins @idle), but it seems like it's always hard to suck oil out. I don't feel like I get all the old oil out every time.

Oh, I change mine every 50hrs.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-04-2013, 7:54 AM Reply   
I think the "normal" interval seems to be 50 hours or once a year.

There was someone that posted a while ago that they sent in oil analysis tests and figured that their oil was still good to 100 hours or so. I think people generally change their oil too often and you could stretch it out to 75-100 hours.

I dont' know what oil you use but I would strongly suggest looking into the Chevron Delo products. A huge percentage of my fleet customers use Delo in everything from their 5.7L chevy engines to their CAT over the road diesels. I am not sure there is a better quality oil.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-04-2013, 8:04 AM Reply   
I change it once a year which is about 75-100 hours. I do use synthetic so I'm comfortable with that interval.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       08-04-2013, 8:17 AM Reply   
I read 50 hours is like 3000 miles on a car engine... I use Mobil 1 in my MXC.. 80 hours for filter and oil change.. Trans a V drive oil once a year.. I've got 989hours on my 07 Xstar and no one problem yet..
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-04-2013, 8:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatTexasBoy View Post
I have a question to add.

How long do you guys let you boat run before changing fluid? I try and let mine warm up (10-15mins @idle), but it seems like it's always hard to suck oil out. I don't feel like I get all the old oil out every time.

Oh, I change mine every 50hrs.
The easiest way BY FAR is to do the change right after a hard run at the lake. I've even done it on the water in a slip on vacation, and got all the oil way fast.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-04-2013, 11:12 AM Reply   
I do mine once a year and also run synthetic but I am also of the mind set that every 3000 miles in your car/truck is over kill. this 3000 mile thing has been around since our great grandfathers. oil and engines have come a long way since those days. I would say 7500 miles in a car would still be conservative. I know it only cost a few bucks. that's not the point to me. I'm not a big tree hugger but feel that every 3000 miles is a big waist of oil.
I actually run amsoil in my duramax that is good for 24,000 miles or one year.
just my 2 cents
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-04-2013, 7:26 PM Reply   
How Much is Amsoil per Change? Also What filter?
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-04-2013, 7:35 PM Reply   
For me the oil looks like brand new til about 60 some odd hours. My season here in minnesota is about april to sept. So I will change once a year after i take boat out of the water for the season.
Old     (wolfe_drew)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-04-2013, 8:29 PM Reply   
This is a little dated, as i first posted this back in 2008:

The great folks at Indmar have done some fantastic work to debunk some of the "myths" around oil usage & consumption for our boats that get loaded with ballast for wakeboarding and surfing. We've had some good debates on this forum, so I hope this helps you out.

Bottom line is that if you load up with ballast to wakeboard or wakesurf, stay on the safe side by checking your oil level often and changing your oil & filter every 30 hours.

In the past few years we have noticed an increase in discussion related to oil consumption in engines that are used in high load activities, namely wakeboarding and surfing. Indmar has always believed engines used in low speed, high load activities can have a tendency to burn more oil than unloaded engines. Indmar now has the data to support it and a solution for our customers. We are supplying this information to you as a tool so you can inform and educate your customers on how they can better protect and properly service their engine especially if it is being used primarily under load.

The chart below depicts engine loads for a car, normal boat operation (no ballast), surf and wakeboard (full ballast). All of this data was derived from an LSA engine in a 24’ boat. The Wakeboard testing was performed using a highly ballasted boat with 5700 lbs. of ballast, a common configuration for events. Surf mode was tested using 2800 lbs. of ballast. The normal load curve was developed from boat testing with no ballast in the boat. The car data was taken from prior testing within the industry.

As you can see the horsepower required for wakeboarding and surfing is infinitely higher in comparison to a car or even in normal boating operation. With our LSA test engine loaded we see that wakeboarding requires nearly 450 horsepower at 23 mph and surfing requires nearly 380 horsepower to push out 11 mph while the car requires a mere 75 horsepower to achieve 80+ mph.

During our *480 hour durability test we noticed that when engines under normal load (no ballast) reached 30-35 hours between oil changes they experienced greater oil consumption due to the breakdown of oil viscosity. Oil was changed every 50 hours per the owner’s manual and this was the findings and our collective takeaway:

*Engine also had appropriate break-in hours

After 30 hours – ½ qt. loss
35-38 hours -1 qt. loss
40-45 hours – 1.5 qt. loss

*Note With ballast added, the oil consumption could increase from the values listed above.

Oil viscosity breaks down much quicker in engines operating under greater loads, the most extreme during wakeboarding loads and speeds. With this information we are recommending that your service techs inform your customers that if they are operating their boats under these typical loads for wake sports they should change their oil every 30-35 hours. This will help reduce oil viscosity breakdown, increase engine life and minimize their concerns and experiences related to oil consumption. Boats that are predominantly used in normal boating or skiing conditions can maintain their 50 hour oil change regimen per the owner’s manual.

We hope that you found this research helpful and you continue to feel confident that Indmar will go the extra mile in maintaining that unique customer care and distinct customer service advantage. As always, we encourage any feedback to make us all stronger.

Team Indmar
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-05-2013, 3:48 AM Reply   
Great post Drew! This explains it so people know why to change their oil. Not because it's dirty,but because the viscosity is broken down.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-05-2013, 5:21 AM Reply   
I guess they are a mfg so i should stand down. but i don't know if i buy it. if the breakdown causes consumption and you check the oil level then i think just adding would be sufficient. one can argue that broken down oil will cause engine damage, i suppose. but then why does my oil look like brand new til like 60 some odd hours. i guess one can argue that oil can look new but be broken down. the mgr has no reason to push oil changes, i guess.

i personally will think about it. but if i change my oil now at 65 hours. then i am going to change every 50 and NOT change out at end of season like i usually do.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-05-2013, 10:21 AM Reply   
for my duramax i buy the 2.5 gallon jug for$ 87.45 which = $8.75qt. the filter is $18.85 and is good for 1yr so thats $106.30 plus shipping. i think it is usually around $120-$125 when all said and done. I get around 1/2 to 1 mpg better with the amsoil. i drive around 15,000 to 18,000 miles a year if i were to change it every 3000 miles that would be 5 oil changes and a lot of oil dumped out.
my 05 enzo uses less than a 1/2qt over in a summer for me around 90hrs
i would like to see an oil analysis after 50 and 100hrs
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-05-2013, 10:50 AM Reply   
I crossed the 50hr threshold late last season and decided to wait until the end of the season to change the oil. I ended up with 66 hours on the oil and sent it off to blackstone labs. They said the averages showed typical wear numbers after 40 hours. I have the 310hp indmar tbi and use shell rotella 15w40.