Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-20-2008, 3:12 PM Reply   
If you don't have the correct thickness in the fiberglass where the tower mounts, instead of adding layers of fiberglass underneath, would 3/4" plywood with construction adhesive to bond to the glass work just as well, as long as the wood spanned out providing a much larger area?
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-20-2008, 3:18 PM Reply   
Yes you can do that. To make things even better, I would lay strips of fiberglass over the plywood to chemically bond it to the hull.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       04-23-2008, 6:47 AM Reply   
I've been distributing universal and custom towers in Europe for about 6 years.

In my opinion, best thing you can do is this:

Get hold of a product called Kitty Hair
https://www.sherwinautomotive.com/products/show_product.cfm?product=29744&cat=37

and some thin marine plywood (like 2/8ths thick)

Drill your tower mounting holes.

Cut the plywood to the biggest shape you can to fit along the gunnel of the boat (generally about 12" by 6"). Drill corresponding holes to match your tower feet bolts and ensure that if you offer the wood upto the inside of the deck that these holes match up with the deck holes. Apply about 3/8ths thickness kitty hair to one face of the ply wood (let it begin to cure) and apply to inside of the gunnel in the area you want to mount to.

Again let the whole setup cure more until it becomes fairly solid/rubbery.

Then bolt your tower on, using the backing plates supplied on the inside of the wood.

Tighten the tower bolts until kitty hair begins to ooze out a bit and the whole base becomes fairly firm - then stop!

Go back about an hour later and torque the bolts to the manufacturers recommendations and leave the kitty hair to cure entirely.

In about 24 hours cheque your torques and then use your tower :-)
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-23-2008, 12:01 PM Reply   
I will say this from experience as of the last week, do not use construction adhesive. I did that on one of my tower feet and it skinned over on the edges but stayed tube fresh in the middle for days. I ended up ripping it off and cleaning it all off and went to an auto parts store and got a quart can of long hair fiberglass resin with hardner for $13. Mix it up, slather that on the wood and put it where you want it. I pre drilled the holes for my tower and used those holes to put long sheetrock screws with washers through from the top to snug the plywood up to the deck until it cures which is about 20 minutes. Then take out the screws (now the wood is bonded to the deck and the deck itself is reinforced with the fiberglass resin) and drill the holes again and through bolt your tower with stainless screws and you are off. Just make sure you use marine plywood or just standard plywood. I just used standard plywood due to no water contact or moisture.