Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old     (holloway0105)      Join Date: May 2007       05-03-2007, 5:21 AM Reply   
I just sold a Super Air 210, trying to figure out what boat to buy next! Right now it's between the XStar and the Super Air 226, any suggestions?? Are there any owners of a 226, or anyone whose ridden behind one?
Old     (rrbooker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-03-2007, 5:58 AM Reply   
I've heard from a couple of pros that the xstar and the 220 are the best wakes out there! I'm not sure about the 226. you can't go wrong with ether boat. I went with mastercraft, but that is because of the service i get! And they gave me a hell of a deal on a 06 demo
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-03-2007, 6:42 AM Reply   
I personally prefer the MC wake to the Nautiques. Both make good boats, and both make great wakes, but I prefer MC. What do you prefer? Because between these two boats that is what counts the most...But since you asked, I'd go with the Xstar
Old     (holloway0105)      Join Date: May 2007       05-03-2007, 6:50 AM Reply   
I loved the pop of the 210 but like everyone knows it's a hard landing if you take anything into the flats. I have only ridden behind one X-Star and there were some issues w/it. It had the smaller motor in it and it would not plane off when we weighted it and had 5 or 6 people in it, so I only rode behind it w/stock ballast! I am looking at the Saltwater Series and it has the 375 hp. engine. Will I have prob.'s out of this motor or is it enought to plane w/an additional 2500 lbs. in it?
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-03-2007, 7:10 AM Reply   
Shaun Murray used to have a 226 before his current boat. It had a very nice wake actually. Much easier for my style than Travis' Xstar (which was a really great wake also...just wider). The 226 is a little more family space oriented and the walkthrough is nice.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-03-2007, 7:23 AM Reply   
How are flats landings harder on a SAN than either of these boats?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-03-2007, 7:34 AM Reply   
and the can has officially been opened!
Old     (planetnautique)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-03-2007, 7:35 AM Reply   
Have you considered a 236?
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-03-2007, 7:46 AM Reply   
Greg, it wasnt the engine that was the problem, it was the prop. Travis uses the MCX in his Xstar and no one can complain that his Xstar is lacking anything.

BTW guys, I think he was referring to the way the 210 throws you up in the air more, and if that is the case, the landings might be a little harder. Not in my experience, but that is how I took it...

Let's try to keep it on track and not turn it into a boat war, AGAIN.

(Message edited by Byrd on May 03, 2007)

(Message edited by Byrd on May 03, 2007)
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-03-2007, 9:20 AM Reply   
Nautiques have a built in sonic device that hardens the water in the flats as the boat goes by.

For years the environmentalists have been conducting studies that clearly show Correct Craft products have a direct influence on disorienting whale pods thus causing mass beachings that we see on the news.

As far as the 210 throwing you up in the air, I for one want nothing to do with a wake boat that is going to throw me up. I'll stick with a boat that keeps me safely on the water thank you!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-03-2007, 9:37 AM Reply   
"How are flats landings harder on a SAN than either of these boats? "

Because you're 2 feet higher!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-03-2007, 9:49 AM Reply   
"How are flats landings harder on a SAN than either of these boats? "

Because you have to hit the wake twice as fast to get the same distance.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-03-2007, 9:49 AM Reply   
I think the trough is what he is referring to.

The 236 has a great wake,just rode behind it last week.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-03-2007, 10:01 AM Reply   
Both are great boats. I happen to not like the look of the Nautiques.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-03-2007, 10:07 AM Reply   
isnt the 236 supposed to have the best wake of them all? It's the boat they pulled the pros wiht at wake games right?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-03-2007, 10:23 AM Reply   
I think it has harder landing because there is a lot less trasition to land on. It probably isn't any harder if you land on the backside of the wake, but there is a smaller area to do so.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-03-2007, 10:27 AM Reply   
^^^^EXACTLY^^^^
Old    00wakesetter            05-03-2007, 12:09 PM Reply   
Instead of starting a thread about x brand vs x brand maybe pepole should start it like this. Does anyone own x brand? Then you can find peeps with that boat and maybe if your lucky can catch a ride behind it and see for your self what the wake is like. Or just demo one. If you dont have the time to demo a wake then you prolly dont have time to ride it.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-03-2007, 1:13 PM Reply   
X-star, big block, 2k in extra ballast and 10 of your closest friends. NUF SAID.... LOL!!!
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-03-2007, 2:18 PM Reply   
I won't say anything bad, but the 226 would be the last boat in the entire Nautique line I would consider.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-03-2007, 2:21 PM Reply   
Nobody has done it yet so I will....

Get a VLX!

haha j/k

Nautique or MC? Which one has the better dealer in your area?
Old     (holloway0105)      Join Date: May 2007       05-03-2007, 2:58 PM Reply   
That's just it, I have always been a SAN person, but I also want a bigger boat than the 210 and in the bigger boats I'm not sure which I like better. I have a MC dealer about 15mi. from me and the closest Nautique dealer is about 160 miles. So basically in order to test drive a 226/236/220 I am going to have to get a freakin plane ticket. I have made plans to fly to Texas to the CC warehouse a week from tomorrow, but if everyone says the XStar is the better boat than I'm not going to wast my time.
Old     (planetnautique)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-03-2007, 3:02 PM Reply   
I really like my 236 so far. If you haven't had a chance to check one out yet, I have a few pictures here.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-03-2007, 4:35 PM Reply   
In my opinion, both boat companies are fantastic, equally good and you can't really go wrong either way. If I were in your shoes, I would go with a MC for the convenience factor, unless they are grossly overpriced at the dealership. ALL boats will have minor issues and regular maintenance that need attention, and if the dealer is just down the road it makes things much easier when it comes time to deal with these issues.
Old     (laidback)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-03-2007, 4:56 PM Reply   
service service service,
If that MC guy 15miles away is going to give you good service and "reasonable"price" go with him.
All things considered buy the one you like!!! Its your money and you have to ride behind it. Demo Demo Demo
Old     (ncsuuh)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-03-2007, 5:11 PM Reply   
Why do you think all the pros in the videos are behind the x-star? Its not because it looks good, well maybe that too.
Old     (abhoe157)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-03-2007, 5:19 PM Reply   
consider the 236
Old     (zeda)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-03-2007, 5:48 PM Reply   
Stock wake.....cc220 is very nice. I've heard, but have no experience with the X-star, that you have to add a bunch of additional weight to get the world class wake. I may be totally wrong, but that is what I've been told. If the X-star stock wake is really good, than it's a toss up.

Of course I ended up with the 220 so I'm a bit biased. The stock surf wake behind the 220 is epic....as is the wake boarding wake.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-03-2007, 6:56 PM Reply   
i think my mind would be made up after this quote...

By travis moye (driving) on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 2:18 pm:

I won't say anything bad, but the 226 would be the last boat in the entire Nautique line I would consider.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-04-2007, 8:23 AM Reply   
By Matt Murphy (ncsuuh) on Thursday, May 03, 2007 -

"Why do you think all the pros in the videos are behind the x-star? Its not because it looks good, well maybe that too."

PWT

By E.J. (deuce) on Thursday, May 03, 2007

"How are flats landings harder on a SAN than either of these boats?"

steep transition
Think free style moto ramps or distance jumping ramps
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-04-2007, 8:58 AM Reply   

quote:

By travis moye (driving) on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 2:18 pm:

I think you just did, say something bad.

Since you said it, why? I talked to Shaun at length a couple years ago at the Seattle boat show about the 226 (that was when he had his). He had nothing but praise for the boat and wake. He doesn't strike me as the hard sell guy that would say anything to get you into a boat. Everyone has their opinion. Spill the beans.
Old     (tarpongator)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-04-2007, 11:36 AM Reply   
I love my SAN 220. I also test drove a X1,X2 and X30. Mastercraft definitely makes a nice boat too. You probably cannot go wrong.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-04-2007, 12:51 PM Reply   
Notidad,I don't think he said anything bad....It's like saying,last boat I would consider in MC line up is the x-star(x-star is just an example since that is my favorite boat)but you get my point?!
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-04-2007, 4:04 PM Reply   
It's exactly what Big Ed said. If I were choosing between and X-Star and a Nautique, the Nautique wouldn't be a 226.

I would look at the 236, new 210, or 220 way before. But, as you know, regardless of what you look at, I would still say go with the X-Star.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-04-2007, 6:16 PM Reply   
Travis, are you in the employ of Mastercraft? Are they your boat sponsor?
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-04-2007, 8:17 PM Reply   
226 looks like a bid SeaDoo boat.
Its probably the worst selling boat in CC's lineup.
Definitely XStar
Old     (mrt111)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-05-2007, 4:36 PM Reply   
These are the funniest posts I have read in a long time ! I bet 90% of the people in here have no advantage riding one wake over another, other then familiarity. If any of you think that a wake from any of these boats is going to make a dramatic difference in your riding ability, you are obviously not a good rider. I have a 06 226 and it is great, my old boss just got a new 07 x2 and it is equally amazing. A good rider with the proper foundation can ride, have fun, and perform behind any boat especially any new Nautique or Master Craft or any other of the brands. Get the boat from the dealer you feel the best about as well as the best test drive. Most importantly enjoy it and when you do get it don't hate on other boat brands and models cause it makes you sound like an idiot. Just a thought. . .
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-05-2007, 10:05 PM Reply   
E.J. Yes, I am sponsored by MasterCraft, and whether anyone chooses to believe it or not, if I were going to buy a boat it would be a MasterCraft hands down. I am a firm believer in the product.

And, M Taylor, you are right, a good rider can ride behind any boat, or on any board for that matter, but if you have the option shouldn't you get the best one? And, I am not hating on your boat, I am simply saying that an X-Star and the 226 are not comparable boats, other than the length. The wake and performance would be more equivalent to the 236. I'm not trying to cause an uproar, I am legitimately trying to help someone who asked a question. I do not stand to profit in any way, not matter what boat he gets.
Old     (mrt111)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-06-2007, 6:33 AM Reply   
Travis, I know ur not ripping the 226 and even if you were the only thing I am saying is that most wont notice the difference between wakes. There are pros out there that ride in every model of new boats. They are still pro when they change boats year to year. Could you ever imagine a pro used the excuse that they had a bad year cause the free boat their sponsor gave them had a crapy wake!

Murry looked like he had a good year in his 226. Could you imagine what he would have been able to do if he road for Master Craft and had an x-star??? J/K thought it should ease up a little.

To each is own...
Old    star_star            05-06-2007, 7:53 AM Reply   
i own an xstar. i am not a great rider. however, some of my friends are. they ride in all types of boats. however, when they ride with me they say they really like the wake and they end up trying tricks they have never tried before, sometimes landing them. they usually comment that they like the long transition. they say it gives them time to set up and correct their launch. the wake is not as "vertical" as an old xstar, or 210 but it is taller and longer. it just doesn't seem that way because of the long rampy transition. personally, the long, gentle ramp is what i really like about the xstar. i am not a good enough rider to explode into a large, vertical 210 wake and launch off of it with any sort of controlled consistency. i really like my xstar. perhaps, mainly because i have gotten used to it and it is a gently controlled launch. good luck. however, i wouldn't consider anything other than a saltwater series boat if you are on the gulf and in brackish water. rock out.
Old     (tripleup)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-10-2007, 10:06 PM Reply   
Just go ahead and get the Fountain and put tower on it
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       05-12-2007, 4:06 PM Reply   
i love the STAR it was a amazing wake u can never go wrong with a mastercraft
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-13-2007, 7:16 AM Reply   
I had some time to kill and stopped at the new(i believe new) dealer in kalispell for nati. I just bought a new enzo, but had to check out the boat that is getting raved about. the interior is a lot better then just a picture. the salesman/boat manager sure knew his stuff and was awesome to deal with. explained everything inside and out. his last comments were troubling to me. he said his boats would absolutley blow every other boat out there out of the water and outperform and out do anything another boat would do. I believe in building up your product for sales, but when you knock on other products that hard for a sale it's a complete turnoff for me. he said xstar, centurion, tige and malibu dont' stand a chance. I kind of nodded in agreement just to get him over his little bash fest. I was super impressed with some feature but still the tower and windshield lines dont' match up and the looks just arent' for me. great boat though. Basically what i'm saying is I suck behind any boat that pulls me just as equally. my 6 and 9 year old kid ride a wake board better then me. I believe it all comes down to personal preference and looks/styling and dealership(lol, i've said that before.) keep us posted on which boat you get.