Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old    bvaughn97            03-25-2005, 6:36 PM Reply   
I have a question for anyone who has had the unfortunate experience of hitting an underwater "hazard". Today, I hit a stump that was just under the water (unmarked of course). I have a 2003 Gekko Revo 6.7V. My prop is trashed, so I'll have to replace that for sure, and then get it machined back straight, if possible, so I can have a spare. But, my rudder is also bent significantly. Instead of the top of the rudder sitting flush with the rubber bushing attached to the bottom of the boat, it has been bent backwards to where there is a visible gap between the top front edge of the rudder and the bottom of the rubber bushing. So it looks like my rudder may have to be replaced if it is one peice with the "rod" through the bottom of the boat, which is probably bent. I'm not even sure if the hull is damaged beneath the rubber bushing, it might be.

My big question is - is this repair going to be costly enough for me to call my insurance company, even with a $500 deductible. I know the prop replacement will approach $500, but how much will the rudder repair cost?

Thanks for the help, and I'm so depressed that I screw my boat up on the first outing of the new season.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-25-2005, 6:45 PM Reply   
I haven't had this happen myself *knocks on wood*, but most of the stories I've heard come from hitting stumps usually runs anywhere from 1500-2500. So yes, I imagine you're gonna want to call your insurance.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-25-2005, 6:51 PM Reply   
dude,

sorry to hear that... be thankful no one was hurt.. boats can be easily repaired. but shoulder, knees, and ligaments is a different story ( 6 months to years of recovery..if possible)

prop straightning is about $175..but the rudder will cost more.. not to mention you might have damaged your impeller.

would talk to the dealer and find a great repair place to make that boat new again... good luck on the repair
Old     (drewsy)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-25-2005, 6:53 PM Reply   
Probably bent the drive shaft, strut, etc. definatly between 1500-2500. my last episode cost $1,800.00 Good luck
Old    bvaughn97            03-25-2005, 7:22 PM Reply   
Thanks for the good words and the help...I just got off the phone with Progressive to file a claim and should hear something tomorrow morning about if they'll cover it or not. I sure hope it's covered because I don't want to be out $2000 to start the season...I need to save that money for gas!
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-25-2005, 7:33 PM Reply   
Brandon- Progressive had better cover it! And if they don't, you should be shopping for a new insurance company. I'm with BoatUS and they cover EVERYTHING!!!!

I agree that your shaft and strut could have possible damage. Definately get that shaft tested. A slight off balance could cause damage in the future and unecessary vibration.

Why should your prop cost $500 to repair? A new prop is only around $300. Now if you're running a stainless steel prop then if I were you I'd reconsider that decision. Run brass.

Myke- Why do you say that his impeller could be damaged? Not saying it can't, just wondering why you think it could be.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-25-2005, 8:52 PM Reply   
that what the shop checked when i damaged my prop..
Old    bvaughn97            03-25-2005, 9:44 PM Reply   
Kraig - I'm running brass, and I was just guessing how much is was going to be...I really haven't priced anything yet since I want to wait and see what Progressive says. And, if Progressive doesn't cover it (which I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't), then every boating website on the internet will know about it.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-25-2005, 11:59 PM Reply   
Brandon,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune what a bummer. What is your level of mechanical aptitude? If it's fairly high then you could probably replace these parts yourself in the $500-1000 price range.

Prop: repair $125(Pitchometer Propeller Co. Alameda, CA), replace $325 (www.boarditup.com) Rudder: ? check with pitchometer or properpitch
Shaft: repair $60, replace $200 (www.properpitch.com)
Strut: ? check with pitchometer or properpitch

If you mention insurance and underwater stump in the same sentance most dealers will replace almost every piece of underwater running gear, lot's of dealers game our insurance companies. This affects all of our premiums so please don't allow your dealer to do this. Before dropping your boat off request all parts to be returned to you upon replacement (make sure it's on the work order). Let them know that you will expect them to show and explain exactly what is wrong with the part. Mark your prop, rudder, shaft, strut, fins, indescretely with a punch before you drop the boat off so they don't pull some wrecked stuff out of the dumpster and claim it's yours. They also might claim they replaced the prop or shaft when they have not.

Clubmyke, don't take your boat back to that shop, the chances of your impeller getting damaged as a result of hitting a stump is slim to none (on an inboard).

Also, if you don't replace the strut there is no reason why anything should be out of alignment. It's unlikely that the dealers re-alignment will be better then the factories alignment.

Best of luck,
Mike
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-26-2005, 3:32 AM Reply   
the guy from the shop was at the lake and checked it for free (pretty cool imo).

i did find out if the impeller is damaged, the boat will overheat...
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-26-2005, 10:54 AM Reply   
Myke- Right, it's the water pump for the engine. My guess is that whenever there is a sudden stop of the prop by an outside object the impeller can get damaged. Something good to know and check. I wouldn't have thought about it. Good to know though.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-26-2005, 1:18 PM Reply   
The prop being suddenly stopped would have no effect on the water pump that I can think of? The prop would be in relation to the tranny, not the engine. Your water pump is always pumping when the engine is on, even when in neutral. Therefore, if your water pump is pumping when in neutral (the prop is not turning), what effect does the prop coming to a hault have on the impellar?
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-26-2005, 1:32 PM Reply   
I an a Gekko dealer. Let me know if you need parts drop shipped to the repair facility. I also carry your prop. Sorry about your hit. The boat's hull is really strong in that area, so it should be a parts replacement and alignment (most critical).

Good luck and let me know how I can assist.

rider at boarditup.com
Old    bvaughn97            03-26-2005, 2:14 PM Reply   
Karl, thanks for the offer to help. I'll talk to the shop on Monday and see if he needs a contact for parts of if they already have one. The shop manager says that he has worked on Gekko's before, and they were looking to become a Gekko dealer in the past, so hopefully they are competent.

I haven't seen an estimate yet, but on first look today, the shop says that the rudder should be replaced (he said they will try to straighten it, but it's bent enough that it might not straighten without breaking), and the prop might be able to be straightened. He said he'll pull the drive shaft to make sure it's still straight and if not, try to machine it straight. Hopefully, this shop is honest and will try to be cost-effective in repair.

So far, Progressive is cooperative very, very well...actually, I've been very impressed with their service so far. I'll have to wait and see what happens early next week when their representative inspects the damage and approves the estimate.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-27-2005, 12:21 PM Reply   
Brandon,

Sounds like you are working with a good shop. Lot's of the boat dealers in my area are more parts changers and less mechanics.

Myke/Kraig, I am still a little miffed about the damaged impeller thing. I understand very well how the raw water pump works and there is really no way that hitting something in the water could damage the impeller. They actually offer these impeller driven pumps with electric clutches for sewater pumping applications on very large vessels. It's a splined flexible rubber turbine impeller spinning inside a concentric circle, this causes it to "squeeze" water through the engine. There are no pistons or the like to get damaged from an abrupt stop. I might understand the reasoning if it were an A/C compressor or other piston driven device. An abrupt stop completely destroying the boat motor and transmission still wouldn't harm the impeller pump. Am I missing something here?
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-27-2005, 1:17 PM Reply   
what shaft is the prop connected to ?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-27-2005, 5:25 PM Reply   
Here is a picture of a Gekko Revo engine. On the left is the bow of the boat, in that direction the crankshaft connects to the transmission which connects to a V-drive unit which connects to the driveshaft (the first possibly damaged part) then the driveshaft goes through the hull, strut then the prop. On the right side of the engine you see a couple hoses one connects to the output of the raw water pump the others connect to the exhaust manifolds.

Is it possible that your are mixing the strut bearing with impeller?
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-27-2005, 8:17 PM Reply   
yep....