Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-17-2004, 8:19 PM Reply   
found this site. you can download practically any wakeboarding video made for anywhere from $1.99 - $3..99 to watch as much as you like for 7 days.

http://www.totalvid.com/search_results.cfm?mc=1&c=46

if nothing else it's a great way to preview vids or watch those old vids you don't actually want to buy. they also sell the dvd/vhs versions.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-17-2004, 9:07 PM Reply   
nice find, Stack.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-17-2004, 9:31 PM Reply   
unreal stack! what a way to preview vids to buy.

thanks again.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-18-2004, 12:46 PM Reply   
and apparently for new customers they have a rent-one get one free deal. i rented outkatz and hype for 3.99. four bucks to watch to vids, can't really beat that.
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-18-2004, 1:08 PM Reply   
it wouldnt let me download, kept giving me an error message? anyone else?
ITCH
GB
Old    juice            01-18-2004, 3:15 PM Reply   
I had the same prolem as Itch. What's the deal?
Old    draino            01-19-2004, 9:10 AM Reply   
Have you guys emailed total vid and told them your problem?
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-19-2004, 12:55 PM Reply   
Worked fine for me. I got Metronome and Delta Sessions. Both good vids.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-19-2004, 1:55 PM Reply   
It's a great concept. Too bad Buffalow and I don't know anything about it. Yah, I emailed totalvid and told them we have a problem too! At least on Kazaa it's free to the public (and if we're not going to get paid for our work I'd just as soon give it away!)
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-19-2004, 2:39 PM Reply   
i wondered about that. they seemed to have so many videos on there i wasn't sure if they'd gotten permission for them all. let us know how they explain themselves, because their legalese implies that they pay the owners of the work.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-19-2004, 2:54 PM Reply   
Cadmium/Album hadn't heard of this either, so they are waiting to hear back from TotalVid on where they are getting permission to sell Boombox, Metronome, Running with Scissors, etc.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-19-2004, 4:09 PM Reply   
Very interesting. Keep the updates on this coming....
Old     (fallinguphill)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-19-2004, 4:12 PM Reply   
Well i was just about to download TBKS and Delta Sessions but no longer since Rich Dykmans says he and buffalow don't seem to be getting there piece of the pie. As well as justin stephens according to Dave. This site had me excited now it seems evil. Keep us updated guys.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-19-2004, 4:20 PM Reply   
ouch...sounds like someone is going to be big trouble.
Old    draino            01-19-2004, 5:13 PM Reply   
O.K. Guys here is the story with Total Vid.

Total vid is the same as any other online shop with the exception of the Rental capabilities. Total Vid goes through Sidewayz Distribution for their stock and all producers were contacted before the Total Vid website was launched. All Producers get royalties from the rental fees.

If someone decides to buy the video from total vid after renting it, it works exactly like any other online shop. Total Vid buys their videos from Sidewayz Distribution and resell them to the customer like any other store.

( to dispell the concern that Jason Buffalo or any other producer is "not getting a piece of the pie." That is simply not true. All producers get royalties from the rental fees.)

Total Vid is a legit company. We're sorry for any misunderstandings.

If anyone has any questions or concerns feel free to call or email me.

Thank you.

Duane
duane@sidewayz.com
Sidewayz: 208-672-9002
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-19-2004, 5:51 PM Reply   
This turned out to be a miscommunication (or lack of) between Sidewayz and WSC Productions (Delta Sessions). At this point Jason and I have not decided whether we are totally "on board" with their program but I do want to stress that Total Vid is a legitimate company and the concept itself is probably where the industry is headed. But if we decide it's not in our best interest to offer DS as a download we'll pull that option from them. I guess we are looking for input from all of you as to the quality of the downloaded material and whether this inspires you who haven't already supported us to buy the DVD. We would like to think that this is a good way to get folks who are either "on the fence" or don't know about us interested in our offerings. And from a business standpoint we want to sell DVDs so we are not adverse to selling downloads if this helps in that.

My reference to Kazaa was obviously unwarranted though and I apologize to Total Vid for that.
Old     (scrubs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-19-2004, 6:11 PM Reply   
We’re curious about this new medium as well. We were never contacted about it and Scrubs isn’t on it so we’re in the green. I’d like to hear what the buyers and producers think about Totalvid?

Thanks,

Bob Knapp
See What I See Productions
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-19-2004, 6:19 PM Reply   
Bob - please put Scrubs on there. I want to see it in its entirety badly (only saw bits from the Vortec power hour). If that's not incentive enough, I am purchasing a copy of Delta Sessions after watching it on TotalVid.
Old    totalvidgirl            01-21-2004, 8:40 AM Reply   
Hey folks! Just wanted to clear the air and reiterate what Duane said --- TotalVid is a new, legal download service. I’m the Account Manager there and work directly with producers and distributors of action sports and other niche videos. We make sure that we have the rights to all of the films on the site and that the producers get their fair share. For those of you who’ve checked out the site or even downloaded a few videos, I’d love to hear your opinions on the site and what we’re doing. I’d also be interested to know if there are any videos (like Scrubs) that we should have on the site but don’t. For those of you who haven’t had a chance to check us out yet, please try it and tell your friends!

Brenda
bdrake@totalvid.com

(Message edited by totalvidgirl on January 21, 2004)
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-21-2004, 6:02 PM Reply   
Hey:

We're still looking for comments from everyone on the quality of the downloads! I'm a Mac guy and Buffalow couldn't get it to download on his PeeCee but I'm sure it downloaded his credit card (HA).
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-21-2004, 6:15 PM Reply   
I wanted to download the sample video to check out the quality, but they require you to register. I decided that I didn't want to register and risk getting even more spam. So Brenda I suggest changing your policy if you want people to check it out particularly after several people from this site have reported problems downloading/viewing videos.

Old    totalvidgirl            01-22-2004, 7:52 AM Reply   
It is true that some people have had problems downloading videos off the site but we are working hard to fix those bugs. I guess it goes with the territory of being a new business. Bill J, we hear you loud and clear about the registration issue and will be putting a “See A Demo” button on the site soon that will allow you to get a sample of our video quality before registering. But don’t worry, we won’t spam you if you do register (we’ll just tell you when we get new wakeboarding videos online).
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-22-2004, 8:01 AM Reply   
I downloaded a couple of videos, and the quality was decent. I wouldn't want to hook up my PC through my big screen and watch it by any means, but it's better than most of the vids on wakepics.

mb
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-22-2004, 8:29 AM Reply   
Anyone,
What format are the files in? Do you have to have a proprietary player to view them? How big are the files (an average 45 minute movie)? Have you ever been to a Turkish prison?
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       01-22-2004, 9:01 AM Reply   
No, No, No, Yes
Old     (timian)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-22-2004, 10:32 AM Reply   
I keep getting the "Windows Media Player update required" message. I've done everything on the checklist and I emailed them. Still waiting for a reply though. Anybody having the same problem?
Old    totalvidgirl            01-22-2004, 10:55 AM Reply   
Toolfan,
The files are in Windows Media format, so you have to have Windows Media Player 9.0 to view it. It's available free on the Windows site (and there's a link to it on our site). An average 45-minute movie is about 200MB in the high-quality version and 90MB in the fast download version. As an example, "Metronome" is 38 minutes long and is 195MB and 85MB, respectively.

Jay - We've gotten your e-mail and our fabulous tech guys are working on it right now.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-22-2004, 12:14 PM Reply   
i would definitely echo bill sentiments brenda. although i've already registered and downloaded two vids, i haven't received any emails (a good thing).

once you are registered you can control your email options via your account page. although you'll see i have one option checked (special offer annoucements), i so far haven't received any emails, so they're not spamming ya as far as i can tell.

email

brenda - one thing i'd like to see: better separation for wakeboarding. obviously the email options don't allow you to select for wakeboarding (is it under wind/kite? ski?).

(Message edited by deepstructure on January 22, 2004)
Old    du540            01-22-2004, 12:57 PM Reply   
Hey everybody,

Just got off the phone with Brenda at TotalVid. She contacted us about including NumbSkull's vids on their site. It was a very good convo and she's sending out their standard agreement plus all the other info I requested. My point is that these guys are clearly legit even going so far as to contact some producers directly. This concept has our interest and it seems like there is a ton of potential. We look forward to working with TotalVid on all of our wake, skate and snow vids.

Thanks for the interest and nice complements, Brenda.

Ron Mart
NumbSkull Productions
www.numbskullpro.com
Old    totalvidgirl            01-22-2004, 2:18 PM Reply   
Thanks for the props Ron, we're looking forward to having your stuff on the site!

Stack - We're working on updating the wake options. I promise to let you guys know on here as soon as new wake vids come out on the site. As you can see, we're always working on getting the latest and greatest content. Let us know if there's something specific you're interested in seeing!!!
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-22-2004, 3:01 PM Reply   
good to hear your stuff will be up there REM! looking forward to it.

brenda, i didn't say how pleased i was with the site. great way to demo vids or see older ones i don't intend to buy.

any possibility of using better codecs (like divx maybe) for even better quality?
Old    totalvidgirl            01-27-2004, 1:11 PM Reply   
Stack, Thanks! I'm glad you liked the site and I hope you'll keep coming back.

We are constantly searching for ways to improve the quality of our videos. We chose Microsoft for a combination of popularity, video quality, and rights management. By offering this player, we are reaching the largest user-base possible with a single format. I've already tossed your comment over to the tech guys so, if they haven't already, they can add divx to our list of possibilities.