Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-08-2010, 7:11 PM Reply   
I hope to be plumbing 2 750 lb V drive bags and a 650 lb integrated bow sack and am trying to outline the budget for the system so I can have a savings goal. I'll probably end up having to plumb in a 350 lb tube in the ski locker if I want to completely fill the 750s for wakeboarding but that might be phase two.

Through research on here and other sites I've decided to go with aerator/livewell/cartridge pumps (Whatever you want to call them) vs. impeller pumps mainly because they're cheap and easily replaceable. I considered the Simer pumps but the lack of ignition protection and the high startup current requirements were turn offs. The Ballast Puppies and what not seem great but I just can't spend that kind of money even though you do only need 1/2 of the quantity of pumps due to their bidirectionality.

On the fittings I've never seen one of these fly high bags in real life. I see that they have 3 connections (2 on top and 1 on bottom in the pics) but only one top one looks like it includes a threaded quick disconnect. I assume that if you want to plumb a drain line and a vent and want to retain the ability to quickly disconnect it you'd need 2 more threaded quick disconnect fittings for each bag. It looks like you can get the Fly High ones or the Flow Rite ones. Is there any advantage to using one over the other? The Fly High ones are more expensive unless I'm looking at the wrong parts.

Also, I see people recommending connecting the drain pumps straight to the bags. This seems like it would work fine on the V drive bags where there's a lot of space for the pump but I was wondering about the integrated bow sac. It seems like the pump would get pushed up against the seat bottom. Didn't know how that would affect pump performance/life. Is it common to just mount the drain pump below so that the water flows down into it?

So, for each bag the best I can figure is this:
1 of these for the drain pump- http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-p...ting-w734.html
2 of these (Fill & vent hose side)- http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-p...ting-w738.html
2 of these (Fill & vent bag side)- http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-p...ting-w730.html

Would that be correct? Any better/cheaper way to do it other than eliminating the quick disconnect functionality? Can anybody comment on quick disconnect functionality and whether it's worth doing? By the time I add hose, thru hulls, check valves, misc. fittings, switches, wiring etc this isn't going to be cheap at all.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old     (jacobs0222i)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-08-2010, 9:28 PM Reply   
As far as the flow right quick disconnects go they are great and you will want them because you will end up taking the bags out every once in a while. I do it to let the boat dry out and to get all the water out of the bags. What you have linked are Twist Connects, you don't want those and they come with the bags anyways so if you do want to use them you don't have to pay extra. You only really use those if you get the Fly High Tsunami pump and manually fill them.
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-08-2010, 9:45 PM Reply   
Jeff,
The Fly High Quick Release system will not lock and were designed to be used with their Pro X Tsunami Pump. It will not work well for your project.

When integrating the Fly High Pro X Series Sacs you will want to use the W736 (3/4") or the W743 (1") in the sacs depending on what size hose you are using. You will then connect those fittings to the Flow-Rite fittings giving you the ability to take the sacs out easily.

Does that make sense?

Last edited by spencerwm; 08-08-2010 at 9:48 PM.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-09-2010, 5:59 AM Reply   
This makes sense now. I assume the vents could be 3/4" to save a few pennies and avoid having to adapt down to a smaller hose diameter for the side thru hulls. I wouldn't want to have to put a bunch of 1" thru hulls on the sides anyway.

Found the Johnson Ultra Ballast pumps here for $154:
http://www.jmsonline.net/jpi-102469003.htm

That's almost cheap enough that I'd consider going that route. For the Tsunami 1200s we'd be talking about $80 for the 2 pumps (Per bag), another $10 for an extra set of Flow-Rite fittings, and $10-30 extra for plumbing and fittings for the drain lines that wouldn't be needed with the reversible pump. So, we'd be talking about only a $40-50 difference in cost per bag setup at that price.