Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (rascal23)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-18-2006, 11:33 AM Reply   
Can someone please clear up frontside and backside lips and boardslide rider direction? I always hear them called differently. I was told that when your chest faces the rail or box it is a backside slide, because if you fall you are on your backside. Maybe this is differnt among the differnet board sports (snow, skate, wake)?
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-18-2006, 11:43 AM Reply   
Greg, Frontside is when you are facing the rail or box and Backside is when your back is facing the rail. Also same as spins, which ever way you spin first is the difference. As for lip vs boardslide, I believe a lip slide is when the nose of the board goes over the rail or wake first and a boardslide is when the tail goes over it first. I could have those mixed up though, but that is about it, check out the second DVD in The Book and they go over all of that.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-18-2006, 12:02 PM Reply   
Lipslide is when the tail goes over the rail or wake first, boardslide is when you just turn the nose over it.
Old     (rascal23)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-18-2006, 1:11 PM Reply   
I know the differnece between lip and boardslide, UpNorth is correct, but what about these pics from transworld skate and snow?
Caption reads:Aaron Suski frontside boardslide & Etienne Gilbert throws a textbook front board, all squared up. Quebec, Canada. Photo: Oli GagnonUpload
Upload
Old     (rascal23)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-18-2006, 1:12 PM Reply   
This is the opposite of what you stated Adam.
Old     (rascal23)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-18-2006, 1:17 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeboardcouncil.com/2005Wakesk8TrickList.pdf#search=%22wakeboard%20fro ntside%20boardslide%22
Try this link for wakeskating.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-18-2006, 1:20 PM Reply   
I knew I could of mixed up the lip and boardslide part which upnorth helped me out but I am pretty sure though that it would be opposite in Wakeboarding, but I can't pop the Book in right now to confirm. Now I have confused myself, because I wonder if the names change not only from Skate and snow but Wakeboard to wakeskate as well. Awww hell.
Old     (ziggen)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-18-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
Frontside boardslide is when you're facing the rail and just putting the tip of the board over the rail to slide it backwards. Usually people start with a backside where they're facing forward while they slide.
Old     (wakeboarder2687)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-18-2006, 1:54 PM Reply   
Im almost positive it doesn't change between any sports. Its just really confusing if youre unsure of what's what. Backside and frontside refer to the way you get onto the rail, lipslide and board slide refer to how. Backside, meaning your heels are facing the rail. Frontside, your toes are facing the rail. So a left foot forward rider, with the rail just to his right, would be a backside slide of some sort. The other way would be a frontside slide of some sort.
Upnorth had it right with the lip vs board.
Now, because the caption says the skater is doing a front board, he came in at just to the left of the rail. Assume it said back lip, not front board, this means he came at it with his heels facing the rail, ollied the tail over the board and set it down. A back lip is considered the most difficult of the 4. The same would apply to the snowboarder.
Thats my understanding of it anyway.
Old     (rascal23)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-18-2006, 2:02 PM Reply   
Patrick that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-18-2006, 2:04 PM Reply   
What if you're skateboarding directly towards the front of a rail? That way you are neither frontside or backside.
Old     (wakeboarder2687)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-18-2006, 2:10 PM Reply   
I knew someone would ask that!

and I dont know!

I would usually just call it a boardslide, frontside if your back is facing were you are going, backside if your chest is facing where you are going. To me a lipslide is more difficult than boardslides, so I just call straight on slides boardslides... Anyone know for sure??
Old     (wakeboarder2687)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-18-2006, 2:26 PM Reply   
Anyone else notice in that snow pic the stair set up to the right is set up too?