Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (toml)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-16-2008, 2:15 PM Reply   
Yesterday when we were out on the water the sound from the cd player stopped working. The cd plays the cd, but no music comes through any of the speakers and no it's not on mute or pause I have the amp hooked up to the tower speakers and checked the fuse for the amp and it looks fine, even the boat interior boat speakers don't produce any music. If anyone has any thoughts or ideas on what I can do to check to get it working again would be very appreciated. Thanks
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-16-2008, 2:27 PM Reply   
Check the lights on your amp, make sure it's not going into protection mode. Double check all wiring, grounds, voltage levels, etc
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-16-2008, 2:47 PM Reply   
This happened on my Clarion XMD1. Radio works fine. I've heard it has happened to others as well.
Old     (toml)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-16-2008, 2:52 PM Reply   
was it the unit, if so did you get a new one to fix the problem? I have a clarion m475.
Old     (toml)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-17-2008, 7:33 PM Reply   
I brought it to a place called audio works today and they told me I blew my amp. When they hooked up a new amp nothing no music came through the speakers. Then the told me I blew my receiver as well. I asked if they could test my amp by itself which they did and they said it was blown. They wanted $500 for a new marine amp and cheap cd player. I told them forget it, I would do without music for a while. I had a buddy test both and he said my clarion m475 cd player was not working properly, but the amp was fine. We installed a new cd player tonight and the amp works fine. My tower speakers and boat speakers rock again.

Do you guys think this was an honest mistake or do you think they are that hard up to sell something that they would lie about an amp saying it got fried. They also tried to explain it as my battery must not have been charged up all the way because when this happens it can ruin your amp, cd player, etc. Has anyone heard of this? What do you guys think?
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-18-2008, 7:45 AM Reply   
Rip off alert... name the shop man.
Old     (toml)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-18-2008, 10:38 AM Reply   
Audio Works in Florence Kentucky. I know the owner and I trusted them.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-18-2008, 10:43 AM Reply   
Just because they are in the businees doens't mean they are smart....it's a rookie mistake. Quite a few people on here no more than most "boat audio" shops.

Yes you can fry amps/HU's with extreme low voltage, most have protection cicuitry nowadays but it's possible, rare but possible. IMO with mondern day amps it's hard to fry them if there played within their ohm ratings.
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-18-2008, 11:11 AM Reply   
IT does not sound like there was any troubleshooting actually done. While it might be a rookie mistake, it was obviously pretty easy to test each component individually and go from there.
Old     (toml)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-18-2008, 11:21 AM Reply   
I watched the guy take the amp over and test it in the back, but I wasn't close enough to see if he even hooked it up right or not.