Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-09-2012, 5:36 PM Reply   
Need to get 30 gals of gas for next weekend camping/ boating, I've seen them for 15 bucks locally, anyone know a cheaper supplier? Need carb stamp for ca
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-12-2012, 1:26 PM Reply   
go to local motorcycle shop ask for VP Racing UTILITY cans and a pour spout or order from streetsideauto.
no they are not cheap but they don't leak or spill.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-12-2012, 1:49 PM Reply   
+1 on the vp racing gas cans. NOT CHEAP but they last forever compared to those crappy $15 cans you see at auto zone
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-12-2012, 6:32 PM Reply   
i'd get one of those military jerry cans, then get one of those hoses that you just have to wiggle to start a siphon
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-12-2012, 7:42 PM Reply   
i hate my jerry can, you cannot just throw it in the truck and go it will fall over on the first turn. it emptys slow its heavy, i cannot think of one good thing to say about it except that ot will outlast all of us. vp race cans are the way to go. but i have never seen carb complaint race can. i hate carb compliant cans too
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-12-2012, 8:52 PM Reply   
Look into Wedco 25 liter plastic gas cans. I have these things and they are amazing. I can fit in 7 US gallons which is perfect fo carrying. I always siphon gas into the boat with a hose but have had these containers for about 10 years and they are great. Not sure about the carb stamp thou.
Old     (RonBurgundy)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-12-2012, 10:31 PM Reply   
Those VP or any other band of "utility" cans are not technically legal for carrying gas....reason for the name and cheap price tag.

Carb legal I have yet to see anything less than about $35 for a well functioning unit.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-13-2012, 8:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBurgundy View Post
Those VP or any other band of "utility" cans are not technically legal for carrying gas....reason for the name and cheap price tag.

Carb legal I have yet to see anything less than about $35 for a well functioning unit.
VP's are not cheap and they work great.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       08-13-2012, 9:33 AM Reply   
I'm pretty sure these are not Carb approved, but I really like having just 2 15 gallon jugs instead of 5-6 5 gallon jugs. They can be a pain to haul around if you need to move them very far but I do it by myself all the time. I use a collapsable 2 wheel dolly to move them most of the time.

I drilled a hole in the top of the cap and dropped a 1" inside diameter hose into the jug and then drilled a smaller hole and put a small hose (1/4" maybe?) into the cap that I blow into to start the siphon. As long as the can is above the gas cap of the boat, I can dump 15 gallons in less than 2min.
Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-13-2012, 2:21 PM Reply   
Or you could just go to your loacl hardware store a piece of tube and a rag for $10 and Siphon from your cheap gas can into your boat with no splills...
Old     (RonBurgundy)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-14-2012, 6:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by srock View Post
VP's are not cheap and they work great.

Please read.....I'm not disputing that they do not work well. They are not carb legal, and in relation to a good carb can they ARE cheap.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-13-2012, 5:22 AM Reply   
Just buy the cheap cans, cap them and then use a siphon, no spills and you don't even have to hold the can up...
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-13-2012, 6:08 AM Reply   
If there is nothing next to them, yea, the jerry cans may tip in a truck, but in the back of an SUV it is not likely as there usually is other stuff and other cans around them. Heavy? That's the gas inside. Emptys fast, easy and no mess with the auto siphon tube.

I think it would be a huge pain to have to tilt up five gallons and pour it in like a race can.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-13-2012, 7:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoddio View Post
If there is nothing next to them, yea, the jerry cans may tip in a truck, but in the back of an SUV it is not likely as there usually is other stuff and other cans around them. Heavy? That's the gas inside. Emptys fast, easy and no mess with the auto siphon tube.

I think it would be a huge pain to have to tilt up five gallons and pour it in like a race can.
Yea, right?
Who doesn't strap their cans down/wedge them in anyway to prevent tip over, sliding, sloshing? You've got to in the bed of a truck or a car... Complaining about jerry cans is funny.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-14-2012, 6:58 PM Reply   
Who cares about CARB, I care about the environment and not spilling gas. Who is honestly gonna hassle you?
Old     (RonBurgundy)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-14-2012, 10:04 PM Reply   
A lot of lakes out there inspect for this....and my main reason for bringing it up was the original posted had specifically asked.

I personally use the VP cans and have for years....but I also don't frequent any lakes that inspect.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-15-2012, 8:19 AM Reply   
Nice thinking TJ. I think I'm going to use you siphon setup. When you haul gas as much as I seem to its worth doing it right.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       08-15-2012, 9:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by srock View Post
Nice thinking TJ. I think I'm going to use you siphon setup. When you haul gas as much as I seem to its worth doing it right.
A full once can actually hold 16 gallons. It's a bit of a pain (at ~100lbs) loading them in and out of the truck but only if I had a few too many the night before. I'd so much rather make 2 trips down to the dock and be done with it though.

I've thought about getting a shaker siphon to try out but I think the hose is just too small. My set up seems to work really well and fast as long as i have the can elevated above the boat.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-15-2012, 9:31 AM Reply   
In case anyone doesn't understand the siphon from a cheap can method here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkAtWlmzN3k

The small shaker siphon is good for putting a can in your car or something like that but not for putting 30 gallons in your boat. It will take forever. The squeeze method takes about 35 seconds to empty 5 gallons and the shaker takes a little over 2 minutes if I remember correctly. Keep in mind that some boats have very small openings to fill gas so that's when I use the shaker. My friends 2008 super air 220 is barely big enough to fit the tip of the gas pump in it.

Last edited by ryanw209; 08-15-2012 at 9:37 AM.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-15-2012, 8:52 AM Reply   
The shaker siphons are the way to go. Never pour again.

Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-15-2012, 9:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersonicmi View Post
Or you could just go to your loacl hardware store a piece of tube and a rag for $10 and Siphon from your cheap gas can into your boat with no splills...
This...you guys are wasting money on fancy gas cans. Use this method without the rag and never spill a drop of gas. Friends do this 7-10 cans/week if not more.
Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-17-2012, 10:22 AM Reply   
above is axactly what i was talking about, just found using a rag to create the initial seal might help people... maybe not
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-17-2012, 3:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersonicmi View Post
above is axactly what i was talking about, just found using a rag to create the initial seal might help people... maybe not
I actually found a better way to make a seal than what I used to do in the video. If you just put the hose all the way to the bottom of the can and then place the palm of your hand about 2-3" past where the hose comes out of the can and push down on it then it will create a solid seal and your hand doesn't have to be on the neck of the can or you don't need to use a rag.
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-22-2012, 2:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanw209 View Post
I actually found a better way to make a seal than what I used to do in the video. If you just put the hose all the way to the bottom of the can and then place the palm of your hand about 2-3" past where the hose comes out of the can and push down on it then it will create a solid seal and your hand doesn't have to be on the neck of the can or you don't need to use a rag.

add me to this list. works great. takes 65 sec to empty 5 gal. yes i timed it. dont have to hold anything so you can get boat ready while it empties.
Old     (liquiddiet)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-20-2012, 9:26 AM Reply   
this guy has a good hack too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lcnw...eature=related
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-20-2012, 11:10 PM Reply   
the siphon method always spills gas, there is gas left in the tube and it comes out/gases off, the person siphoning will watch the container of gas and no matter what they will try to get all of the gas in the tank resulting in overflow...I've seen them over and over.

get the squareish vp can and spout, put spout in fuel fill and begin pouring, open vent, set can on boat and let it pour, pick it up to empty it and there is not a drop spilled. There is no hose with fuel in it to put somewhere.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-21-2012, 5:34 AM Reply   
I beg to differ on spilling gas part...working at a ski school I see & use this method over and over. But if the more expensive can gives someone less headache then its their call.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-21-2012, 4:44 PM Reply   
Has anyone ever been stopped by the gascan police for non carb jugs?(vp racing) Im just curious because I've never seen them. I fill mine up all the time and so far no one at AMPM has jumped out of the bushes or landed a helicopter and told me to "Drop the VP Racing Jugs!"
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-22-2012, 9:09 AM Reply   
All hail the super jiggler!! 1" ID shaker, 10 gpm. Ive got one and it is awesome. Plus all your buddies with the smaller ones are so jealous...

http://superjiggler.com/ordering_options.htm
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       08-22-2012, 10:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by seth View Post
All hail the super jiggler!! 1" ID shaker, 10 gpm. Ive got one and it is awesome. Plus all your buddies with the smaller ones are so jealous...

Nice. I ordered the 3 pack of the 1" pump to try out.
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-22-2012, 2:31 PM Reply   
Quote:

not trying to argue but i find that interesting on the 10gpm. it is totally up to having enough vent volumn.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       08-22-2012, 3:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboyy7 View Post
not trying to argue but i find that interesting on the 10gpm. it is totally up to having enough vent volumn.
I've been able to get pretty close to that with my set up. The 1" ID tube makes the difference. When they come in, I'll give you one John...for some surfing lessons!
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-23-2012, 2:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonshark View Post
I've been able to get pretty close to that with my set up. The 1" ID tube makes the difference. When they come in, I'll give you one John...for some surfing lessons!
sounds like a good deal. we would love to go/hang out with yall.

i read your post. i use a 1.25 hose, OD?, . from what i read on your post i think you are getting that due to you have a bigger vent. its able to replace the displaced liquid much quicker. i bought small snap in vents off the internet for my cans. had to drill a small hole but it really sped up my empty time. anyway, thats ahhsome if you get that fast. thats double mine.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-29-2012, 9:25 PM Reply   
Quote:

For anyone that is looking at these they WONT fit in the standard blitz cans. The inside diameter on my blitz cans is 1 1/4" and the outside diameter of these jigglers are almost 1 3/4". I had no idea they would be that big... oh well...
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-22-2012, 7:52 PM Reply   
Every time a thread comes up like this you guys seem to make everything so complicated. Get a hose, some foam and some tape. Tape the foam to the hose so the hose reaches the bottom of your gas can. Put the hose into the can so the foam makes a seal in the spout. Squeze the gas container, break the seal, and sit back for a minute. When the can has a gallon left tip the container up and make sure the hose goes into the bottom corner. If you do it right you should end up with less than a cup of gasoline left in your gas can.
Attached Images

Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-22-2012, 9:31 PM Reply   
F'n A cotton, f'n A
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-25-2012, 9:41 PM Reply   
I picked up a super jiggler to test out also. I'm really curious to see if it can empty 5 gallons in 30 seconds. I currently use the 1.25" hose and siphon method and it takes 35 seconds to empty a can. I added the car vents to all my cans like in the video linked above and now it takes about 29 seconds for 5 gallons with the added air intake. I also like the vents because I can crack them and not have my cans balloon up in the heat.