Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bb11)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-13-2009, 8:11 PM Reply   
So my family just purchased a calabria pro vII, and therefore i am going to start surfing.
1) what is a good board to start with? (there is a cwb tsunami on craigslist in my area...anybody have experience with that?)
2)Any tips on weighting the boat?
3)Is the wakesurf rope necessary?

Thanks for all your help i am new to the sport but very excited to try it out, any other info or tips will be greatly appreciated!
Old     (clotus)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-13-2009, 11:25 PM Reply   
No idea on the board but in general you want the weight in the rear corner of the surfside, along the surfside, and maybe some in the front. It really depends on the boat, some like weight in the front some don't. You need to find what works for your boat.

A surf specific rope is not %100 necessary, but it is def nicer and safer. A long rope will get all wrapped up around you. If you have an old ski or wakeboard rope lying around you could cut it to approx 20ft and would work, but I bet you upgrade to a true surf rope later. Make sure it does not stretch too much or you will slingshot it back into the boat when you load it and fall (I know from experience and the associated headache )

Maybe someone with a calabria pro VII will chime in on what works best for them.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-13-2009, 11:52 PM Reply   
Go for a hyperlite broadcast.. great board to learn on as well as a great board to keep on the boat for others to ride as well..

cant help with weighing the calabria but we put around 700lbs in one of the Vdrive comp and 400 in the nose + everyone on 1 side..

I think a surf rope is a neccessity if you want to save your hands..

Surfing is great for those times you cant wakeboard because of the water or your body just cant take wakeboarding anymore.. great way to end the day..

Keep in mind your rollers are not only going out the sides but also down the line you are going. so it WILL mess up a riding spot really quick...

Have fun!
Old     (rhawn)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-14-2009, 6:36 AM Reply   
The Broadcast is a surfboard shaped wakeboard. Look into some of the true wakesurf board companies before you limit yourself to a wakebaord manufacturer.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       09-14-2009, 7:09 AM Reply   
Brando-- I also have a pro V2. What year is yours? Ours is 2006. What we do for surfing is fill all the ballast. Wake plate all the way up. An extra 350pound sack beside the engine whatever side you are surfing on. Portside 10.5MPH and starboard side 11.3-11.6 MPH. Make sure all people are sitting on the side that you are surfing on. Hear is a picture of our surfwake.

Upload
Upload
Old     (bb11)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-14-2009, 3:52 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input, first of all i mis-typed it is a pro-v. I am assuming a similar set up will be suitable...

Another board question, how about inland surfers? i found a black pearl for 290$?

Thanks again for the help
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-14-2009, 6:12 PM Reply   
The CWB Tsunami is a pretty good beginner to intermediate board IMO. Ive taught a lot of peeps of all ages and sizes to surf on ours.

A surf rope is a lot safer then a wakeboard handle. I like the small handle type over LF's knotted rope.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       09-15-2009, 7:46 AM Reply   
Brando, Insland surfers are great boards. The question is "how much do you weight?" If your are too heavy the black pearl will not work for you.

the set up for the pro v is, same as I indicated above except you will need 500LBS on the side of the engine. The pro v is a wide boat so you will need more weight. Enjoy.
Old     (dbdan)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-15-2009, 9:26 PM Reply   
I just bought a Team-V (same as the Pro-V but with 1000lbs stock ballast). I'm still dialing it in, but have been successful with the stock ballast on the surf side, a 250 in the surf side locker and a 400 in the walkway.

No problems going ropeless, I just need to clean up the goofy side, it gets pretty washed out at the top...the regular side is beautiful.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       09-17-2009, 6:25 AM Reply   
dbdan-- For us the goofy side is just a good as the normal side. What are you doing with your wakeplate?

I would try, fill port side ballast 1/2, starboard side full, put the 400lbs sack beside the engien and wakeplate all the way up.

(Message edited by rbeckei on September 17, 2009)
Old     (dbdan)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-17-2009, 7:10 PM Reply   
Rob,

I'm still playing with the wakeplate. It seems to get more washed out with the plate all the way up. So we've been running it between neutral and 3/4 up. But again, I've only had the boat a few weeks. I know we'll get it dialed in eventually. The wake is plenty big, just need to clean it up.

I'll give your suggestion a try tomorrow. Do you have any weight up front or in the walkway?

Thanks.

Dan
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       09-18-2009, 6:32 AM Reply   
dbdan,

No, I do not have weight up front or in the walkway. when we put another 350lbs in the front it made the wake washy and small. Let me know how my suggestion went.