Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-08-2008, 3:29 PM Reply   
my wife is thinking about getting a x 5 and i was wondering how well it can tow a boat. i have a 06 x2. please let me know thanks. also does it get better gas mileage than a gmc ukon. ours gets about 13 miles per gallon. any help would be great.
Old     (zeda)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-08-2008, 4:08 PM Reply   
I have a neighbor that has one and they have had some electrical issues on multiple occasions. Read all the reviews you can and make an informed decision. Other than that, I can't offer anything but those facts.
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-08-2008, 4:43 PM Reply   
Yukon tow capacity is 8200 lbs, longer wheel base, uses regular gas.

X-5 tow capacity is 6000 lbs (both 3.0 and 4.8), shorter wheel base, uses premium gas.

X2 weighs about 4000lbs loaded with gas, fluid, etc. Add 1000 lbs for trailer, plus 500 lbs for additional gears (speakers, amps, subs, etc.) and other on-board accessories (additional ballasts, etc.) and you'll be around 6000 lbs easily.

The gearing in the Yukon is made for towing, gearing in X-5 is made for high speed touring.

You could be at 100% braking capacity of the X-5, you have zero safety braking reserve in braking capacity.

With the Yukon, you will be at about 73% braking capacity, more than 25% of braking capacity in reserve.

Safety with the Yukon, easy choice for me.
Old     (dscorni)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-08-2008, 6:47 PM Reply   
Yea, I definently wouldn't tow your x-2 with a BMW. You will kill it. If you're concerned about fuel mileage towing with a gas motor is mistake # 1.
I'd give your wife the Yukon and get yourself a nice, long wheel base 3/4 ton p/u with a diesel to tow with.
The're comfortable, are built for towing, and is a great excuse to get yourself a truck.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-08-2008, 9:10 PM Reply   
If you are thinking about getting a BMW X-5 and own a 06 X-2... honestly you shouldn't be too concerned with gas milage...

I am sure....well hope you can afford it...

personally the X-2 is past is capibilities with the X-2 for any sort of long distance or regualar towing.
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-09-2008, 4:31 AM Reply   
We had an X-5, and I never even tried towing the boat with it. Gas mileage wise, I would say it's in the same ballpark as the Yukon mixed driving wise. The X is full time all wheel drive it kind of eats gas.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-09-2008, 11:54 AM Reply   
My old roomate had a 3.0L X5 and it probably cost more than my other old roomates tahoe. It got a little better mileage. Probably 15 or 16 average but it takes premium like someone else said. It also definatly felt like it was tuned more like a sports car than a tow vehicle.
Old     (poland34)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-09-2008, 11:57 AM Reply   
I pull my Outback V with a 2003 X-5 3.0. I would say loaded I am around 5000 lbs. As far as gas mileage it sucks like everything else. I only tow around 10 miles to the lake however i have taken on a couple of 8 hour drives and I never felt unsafe. Breaking--I was not concerned, but avoid any ridiculous hills.
Old     (blind)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-09-2008, 6:26 PM Reply   
if you have ever drivin an X-5 you will know that the brakes would be your last concern, some of the best brakes in the biz
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-09-2008, 6:41 PM Reply   
Jerry,

I was thinking about downsizing my wife's Tahoe for an X5 but my friend that sells BMWs told me the trans won't hold up for towing. Keeping the Tahoe for now.

Mike
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-09-2008, 7:30 PM Reply   
thanks mikeski. we are most likely going with the denali
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-09-2008, 11:23 PM Reply   
Buddy of mine tows a 05 XTI 21' with his X5. It tows good. But its a small vehicle, looks stupid pulling somthing that big, and its not very wide so you cant realy see out of the mirrors, should probaly have mirror extenders.

I would go with the Denali. The new 6.2L rips and the fuel milage is deacent for a vehicle of that size. Plus you have room for gear and friends with the Denali. The Reverse Camera is a must. It makes hitching up the trailer a breeze.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-10-2008, 6:52 AM Reply   
Your boat will weigh more than your rig so you'd want to go slower and avoid hills. You'd probably also want trailer brakes if you don't already have them. Personally, I think the X5 would be a decent tow vehicle for me since I only tow at about 55-60MPH and have a 20 mile relatively flat trip but your situation may be different. One thing I would worry about is the cost of a replacement BMW transmission. Sure it's rated for the load but it'll wear out sooner in the vehicle's lifetime if you tow with it. I can't help but think you'd be better off in the long run getting an old beater to tow with and leave the X5 to normal commuting unless you don't plan on keeping the X5 too much further out than the warranty will carry you.
Old     (tjs_ccc)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-10-2008, 4:28 PM Reply   
Hey all eyez,
I have actually owned 2 BMW X-5's 4.4's. I put 60K on the first and have 53K on the second one. I own a boat dealership and tow mostly with a F-250 Diesel. (I had a 2005 F-150 that didn't tow quite as well as the X-5 with the same 210 Nautique behind each).

I have have towed as far as 350 miles one way (with grades in the mountains) with my X-5's and many short trips to the lake for demos, boat shows and even Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear. As well as all our Nautiques, I even towed a Cobalt 246 over 250 miles(which is over the weight limitof 6000) with no problem. I have had ZERO breakdowns and no problem with the brakes. (Which BMW will warranty until 50K).

If you want to have a fun car to drive...that tow's pretty good. I give it a thumbs up. I would guess that I towed/tow about 20% of the miles I have put on the two I have owned. It its you only thing to tow with and you tow alot...its probably not your first choice.

I get 18-20 mpg on the highway at 70. I average 15 around town and about 10-12 towing. But I tow at 70 plus mph. You sometimes forget the boat is back there.