Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old    whitechocolate            01-20-2005, 3:35 PM Reply   
Sorry I dont have any photos so you will have to use your Imagnation.

A friend of my'n was talking about a boat cover that coverd the interior of the boat, It didnt use snap's or buttons, It was a cover that you could tow with that would keep the dirt out of the interior of you boat. He said it attached to the rub rail and has some sort of straps that would tighten it up, I have seen photos of cover that cover the interior of the boat but nothing that I would use because it used buttons all the way around the boat, Have you seen the cover Im talking about????
I dont know if this boat (photo) uses that type of rub rail attach system like im talking about
but its sort of what Im looking for, This cover looks like it might be to loose to tow with??
Old     (bradb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-20-2005, 3:57 PM Reply   
The nautique in the pic just has a rope around that cinches up under the rub rail and under the swim grid... Nothing fancy there. It also probably has eyes for bungy cords or ropes to cinch the cover down tighter (bungy or tie to the trailer or somthing. Some people tow with them on, some don't.
I've never seen any other type of rub rail attachment...
B
Old     (bradb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-20-2005, 4:00 PM Reply   
Grant... I didn't realize until I looked later that it was you that posted the question. The cover in the pic looks just like the one that came with my boat ('94 ski nautique). What does yours have?
B
Old    whitechocolate            01-20-2005, 4:06 PM Reply   
The cover that came with my boat is a bit longer on the sides. It drops down about level with the swim deck, And is nothing I would tow with. Its simpley for storage. Im looking for a cover that I can tow with, Somthing like sumbrela with a felt type of inside where it touches the deck so when it moves back and forth in the wind it wont scratch the deck.
Old     (deltaboarder)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-20-2005, 4:12 PM Reply   
check out towerbiminis.com they are in san martin? i think. I took my boat there last year to get a bimini and saw some really nice covers that they had. I think the towable ones are around 700 but very sturdy and they build it to your boat.
Old    dukeboy            01-20-2005, 4:17 PM Reply   
Tower Biminis also has a "bra" concept that hasn't hit the market yet that covers the front of your boat and protects the gel coat from rocks and debris scatching or damaging the front of the boat. It's made of thick neoprene.

Grant West: This isn't part of the thread, but is that a 210 SAN on a single axel trailer?
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-20-2005, 4:18 PM Reply   
Grant,

Your looking for Rankin covers. Call Bake's Marine at 425-392-7599. They will put you in touch with someone in your area.
cover
Old    whitechocolate            01-20-2005, 4:25 PM Reply   
Ok thats close to what im looking 4
Old    dukeboy            01-20-2005, 4:28 PM Reply   
Pretty cool cover!
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-20-2005, 4:39 PM Reply   
Grant-

I was looking at the red 210 in that picture online. It's for sale in Alabama right? That cover looks like it snaps in the front, but from the swim deck back it appears to be tight under the rub rail, and tucks underneath the swim deck. Pretty sweet looking cover. Couldn't you make a rubrail with recessed snaps so you wouldn't catch your board or knees on them?? It would look odd with a rubber rail, but with a stainless rail you probably wouldn't notice it much.
Old    whitechocolate            01-20-2005, 4:39 PM Reply   
Cliff thats exactley what Im looking for
Thanks
http://www.rankincovers.com

Jese; yes I know what ya mean about the single axel. But I bet theres a reason for it. My guess is he lives on a Ski lake, or dosent to but a few min's
Old    whitechocolate            01-20-2005, 4:43 PM Reply   
Cliff so you have one of there cover's, I guess you like it. Can you tell me more about it, Like do you think its ok to tow with it, do you think it will scratch my colord deck when being towed??

I talked with the guy there he is super cool and it sounds like they have worked out all the bugs and its a tight cover, with all the padding on the back side to make sure it dosent scratch your boat.

P.S The friend that told me about these cover was from Seattle. Small town. LoL

(Message edited by whitechocolate on January 20, 2005)
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-20-2005, 4:47 PM Reply   
Grant, Give Jerry at Palo Alto Upholstery a call. He can make you custom cover that is made out of sunbrella with straps for towing. Mine was made to cover the entire tower when folded because it was stored outside.

On another note I gotta send you this Fugee's song, I think its called zealot or something, it booms.
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-20-2005, 4:49 PM Reply   
Those covers do look like the way to go. Made in the Northwest so you know they water and mildew resistant like it says. Grant you got some ideas in your head how to bling it out already.
Old     (villageidiot)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-20-2005, 6:50 PM Reply   
Grant, I can vouch for the Rankin covers. They are the best. We've had quite a few discussions about them on Epicmarine.com. Here is a link to one of the discussions. I think they are pretty expensive, but they really are the best. They go on really quickly, you can tow with them on, and the water runs right off the back. Once you get the straps around the tower, you do everything from the swimstep, which is really nice when the boat is on a boat lift or when it's moored.

http://www.cyclone-cj.com/forum/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=202;start=0
Old     (villageidiot)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-20-2005, 6:52 PM Reply   
P.S. There's a picture of my boat with the cover on in my profile pic.
Old    jmo52            01-20-2005, 6:59 PM Reply   
The MB I just bought has a towable cover. It has a ratcheting strap that goes under the rub rail. It has a nice tight fit, and its also vented so it can breath. I think you can see it on their website.
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-21-2005, 8:42 AM Reply   
Grant- On my old MC, I had a cover that sounds like what you have. I wanted something that I could use as a mooring cover too, so I had it modified.

The guy who did it is up in Sac, here's his info.
Steve (can't remember the name of his shop)
1410 47th ave
Sacramento, ca
(916) 421-1819
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-21-2005, 9:10 AM Reply   
Grant,

The factory cover for my 1995 was great for towing, looked just like the one in the first pic. It had about 5 loops on each side that I looped rope through to attach it to the trailer (the idea of hard bungee ends banging against the gelcoat made me nervous). I used another full side cover for storage and the factory cover for towing. Most cover guys will make you a towable cover, I know delta canvas in Discovery Bay will. I would bet you can find a used factory cover if its just going to be used for towing, the Rankin's are nice but $1k for a towing cover is pretty steep.

My next boat will be getting one cover like the one Mark shows with detachable side skirts. The side skirts will have mini sandbags to hold them down.

Mark,
Is that before or after the modification? How much did it cost?

Mike
Old    whitechocolate            01-21-2005, 9:12 AM Reply   
The Rankin Covers are going for $800.
Old     (villageidiot)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-21-2005, 10:58 AM Reply   
But worth every penny!
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-21-2005, 11:39 AM Reply   
Grant,

Cal is right. I use my boat year round up here and the Ranking cover is the toughest I've seen. As far towing, I tow my boat 775 miles to Shasta and back every year no problem. The cover is so tight when it's cinched down you could bounce a quarter off of it. Pay the extra $$$ for one, and you won't be sorry.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-21-2005, 12:04 PM Reply   
I have two Rankin covers for my boat. I'm still using the original one and 3 years later it is going strong.

I got the second due to an insurance deal (boat was broken into at the dealer by cutting the cover, I got the cover replaced and paid to have the original one repaired)
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-21-2005, 1:27 PM Reply   
Mike-
That's after the modification. Before, the cover would hang down almost to the trailer, and I had the same straps to go around the trailer for cinching it up. Afterwards, it was a long string that went inside a channel on the cover, and was then tied to the back. When tight, it was towable. He also added velcro cut outs for the tower. The cover mod was about $200, but I bought a bimini from him at the same time.

mb
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-21-2005, 2:58 PM Reply   
Rankin covers rule. I suggest re-enforcing the clamps that attache over the rails. I had two that ripped the cover. Since I re-enforced them with a sewing maching they are totally strong.