Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-30-2012, 6:32 PM Reply   
Hey what's up?

So, I bought a tower rack off eBay. This rack is suppose to fit: 2" or 2.25" or 2.5inch wakeboard towers. I have a Zeroflex Tower on my 2001 X-Star... this is a 2" tower! Basically how it works is that they send you a couple different sized rubber inserts that will allow it to fit different sized racks. So with mine, I had to use the thickest rubber insert, plus the additional thin piece of rubber matting they send with it. I have attached a picture and circled the 2 pieces I had to use.

Basically, the tower holds fine until I hit some waves. The jarring of continuously hitting waves slowly makes the tower turn. I have this thing tightened prettty good but it still turns. Is this due to the fact that there are 2 rubber inserts being used? Anyone else had this problem?
Attached Images

Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-31-2012, 5:49 AM Reply   
I had the same problem with my aftermarket racks for my 99 star. They're a little different than yours, but have the same inserts. I solved the problem by tightening the bolts with a hex head on a rachet instead of an allen wrench. You can get the bolts much tighter. Also, make sure you tighten the bolts evenly so the clamp tightens against the tower evenly. Good luck!
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       07-31-2012, 5:55 AM Reply   
Maybe put a mark on both pieces of rubber to see exactly where it is moving. You could glue the rubber parts together and use rubber cement to between the tower and rubber and rack and rubber. It is not a very good adhesive but it rubs right off with your finger so may be worth a shot. Otherwise, I think you are on to more permanent, non-reversable fixes.

Rereading my post makes me wonder about the following. What if you taped off and plasticoated (plasti-dip) the tower and rack where they join? If it doesn't work it seems to peal off, so once again, it is completely reversible and worth a shot.
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       07-31-2012, 6:05 AM Reply   
Try some duct tape between the rubbers and the rubber and the tower. You can add extra to make it incramentaly thicker as needed. Just make sure you cover it all up with the clamp so you don't look like a redneck out there.
Old     (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-31-2012, 6:05 AM Reply   
I had a similar problem but i just wrapped my tower (where the rack was mounted) with that rubbery tape that only sticks to itself. has held solid for 4 seasons.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-31-2012, 8:29 AM Reply   
Isn't your tower 1 7/8" instead of 2"? I am pretty sure that is the case. But either way, what wakerpunk said above should do the trick.
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-31-2012, 5:04 PM Reply   
Those are some awesome ideas, thanks guys! I'm going to try some of those things and we'll see what works!

Wakereviews, you might be right about it being 1 7/8 inches. We simply took a measuring tape and eye-balled it at 2 inches. This is my first time buying a wakeboard rack so... lesson learned i guess!

Wakerpunk, what is this "rubbery tape" you're talking about? Can you send post a picture, or a link or something??
Old     (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-31-2012, 5:47 PM Reply   
This is the link to the site of where I bought the tape.
http://www.xtremetape.com/?gclid=CPG...Fcne4Aodr18Axw
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-01-2012, 6:08 PM Reply   
I actually found some double-sided adhesive tape called "Rhino Grip". I'm going to give this a shot and see how it works out. Thanks again!!
Old     (ndh2o)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-02-2012, 5:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakereviews View Post
Isn't your tower 1 7/8" instead of 2"? I am pretty sure that is the case. But either way, what wakerpunk said above should do the trick.
I am pretty sure it is 1-7/8" as well.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-02-2012, 6:45 AM Reply   
Greg, go measure your tower again. Here's how, for those without a calipers (hopefully this will help others as well):

Take a piece of string and wrap it around your tower leg to measure the circumference. Then measure the string with a tape measure. (If you have a craft tape measure, you can measure directly.)

Now, take that measurement and divide it by 3.14 to get the diameter of your tower leg.

For a 1-7/8" tower, your string should measure about 5-7/8" (5.875 / 3.14 = 1.87")
For a 2" tower, your string should measure about 6-1/4" (6.25 / 3.14 = 2")
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       08-02-2012, 1:19 PM Reply   
Drill and tap for a set screw? Unless you don't want to scar your tower.
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-02-2012, 2:19 PM Reply   
Hey again. So I measured it this morning with string. It measured just under 6 inches. So yeah, it looks like it is 1 and 7/8.

I tried that RhinoGrip double-sided adhesive tape. It worked to keep the two rubber pieces together, but the rubber is still sliding on the pole.

I'm thinking at this point maybe the best thing to do is see if I can get a 1 and 7/8 rubber fitting off the internet. I thought about tapping a screw but... I don't think I want to do that.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-03-2012, 4:16 AM Reply   
Good luck with that. i have been battling it for years and have tried everything in the book.
Think or compare to handlebars on a BMX bike. The job is quite the same and how well would rubber inserts work there?

The conclusion I came up with is to buy the correct racks that fit the tube size without rubber spacers.

IMO nothing else besides a screw or welder is ever really going to work.

I'm in the same boat. A pair of racks that don't fit. So much for a good deal.
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-03-2012, 12:19 PM Reply   
It's interesting that you wrote that. I just contacted the guy I bought the boat off of and asked him what he used. He told me that he used a rack that was designed for 1 and 7/8 inches with no rubber inserts. The rack he used was just metal to metal contact. He said it worked great!
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-03-2012, 12:42 PM Reply   
I have 2" racks on a 1 7/8" tower. I used clear rubber tubing from home depot to fill the gap. Works great.
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-03-2012, 3:24 PM Reply   
Hey man. Any chance you could post a link? I'm lookin around on the home depot site right now.
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-03-2012, 3:25 PM Reply   
Anyone think I'd be better off with something like this??

http://www.iboats.com/Swivel-Wakeboa...view_id.701664
Old     (curt489)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-03-2012, 4:08 PM Reply   
I had that problem one time when I purchased wrong size clamps. I went to home depot purchased a section of 1" aluminium strip metal. Cut two pieces to fit on the inside of the clamp and formed to match the curve of the tower. You have to make sure both pieces fall short of the overall circle length so the clamp can bolt down all the way. I bolted the clamp on the tower with no rubber inserts. Never once came loose.

I used a small torch and a pin hammer to form the aluminum strip i needed.

This may be the most redneck thing ever but it cost me about $15 for the piece of aluminum and about 1 hour to make them work. I hope i made since.
Attached Images

Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-03-2012, 4:27 PM Reply   
Your tower is 100% and 1 7/8 100%

Why not bypass the Jerry rigged nonsense and it looks like te clamp is a universal style bolt patter. Go to diywake.com and buy an 1 7/8 clamp. Problem solved
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-06-2012, 5:13 PM Reply   
Xstarrider, I'm not sure what you mean by "your tower is 100%". But anyways, yeah I actually contacted DIY-wake today. Their clamp is a little different than mine. Their clamps use bolts that insert from the inside of the clamp to secure itself to the rack. This is kinda of reverse design to what mine is. I'm trying to get a hold of a company called bullet-lines. They might have a clamp that will work with my rack. Hopefully I know the answer to this by tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-06-2012, 5:16 PM Reply   
The only thing that bugs about NOT using a rubber insert is that I'm afraid the metal-to-metal contact might blemish the tower a little bit. Not a big deal in the long run I guess though.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-06-2012, 5:47 PM Reply   
sorry i just saw your follow up question. just get the clear stuff in the plumbing section that is really soft.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-06-2012, 6:36 PM Reply   
Sorry just meant it is 100% an 1 7/8 dam iPhone and its small screen.
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-06-2012, 7:12 PM Reply   
boardjnky4, not sure what clear plumbing stuff you're talking about. Any more info?

Well... looks like bulletlines.com claims that their tower clamps will work with my rack. I emailed them pictures! So, looks like I should get this by the end of this work, or early next week. I ordered the 1 and 7/8. I hope it works!