Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (wakechica)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-08-2007, 11:06 AM Reply   
Hi Peoples I'm new to the site and I have a question. I am looking at a 24' 1994 American Skier LTD. THe guy says it has a 2007 PCM GT-40 Engine with only 100 hours on it. It also has the following monster tower with racks,teleflex helm and fresh upholstery. He wants 13,000.00. I was just wondering if anyone had ridden behind one of these or knew anything about them. I'm kind of on a budget but i Want a boat that has a good wake. Any info would be great.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-08-2007, 11:36 AM Reply   
Hi wakechica! I don't know specifically about that boat's wake. Hopefully someone will chime in with some info about it.

Am Skier's were fairly popular in the 90's but you just don't see a lot of them. I think they're still using the hulls, made under Elan Boats. But, they were well built and are typically very solid boats. And you've got a new interior to boot. The engines very, very similar in inboards and the GT-40 is proven engine. I would be curious about the original engine and what happened to it.

Like any 24' boat, its going to take some serious weight to get a decent wake out of. That will translate into $$ every time you go out. just bring some friends for gas money!

for a starter boat, you may try to find something smaller that would throw a poppier wake, but the price SEEMS reasonable. (hard to determine what its worth cuz there aren't many around.) Good luck with your search.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-08-2007, 11:43 AM Reply   
If you're willing to drop 13k, you can get something v-drive... same year ranges but prob more hours and whatnot... worth checking
VLX sunsetters
supersport nautiques
Older Maristar
Tige 21v
Centurion EliteV
Moomba outbackV/mobV

these are old older V-drives that turned into early 2000's "wakeboard boats" and you can find most of them for that price, give or take

** sorry i know nothing about the boat you mentioned, a ton of weight will make anything put out a wake, it sounds huge though, i didn't know Am.Skier made boats that big
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-08-2007, 11:46 AM Reply   
Does he have any pics?
All the American skiers I've seen were 19 or 20 ft. direct drives.
24 foot seems really long for a 1994 inboard ski boat. I'd be interested to see pics of that.
Old    alanp            11-08-2007, 1:12 PM Reply   
just fyi i dont know about the other boats you listed nick but i doubt shes going to have any luck finding a supersport for 13k. i purchased mine last year, a 1995 the first year they came out, and it cost me about 19k.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-08-2007, 1:39 PM Reply   
kicknick, stealing a supersport happens on occasion. "Market prices" and what was paid are two very different things.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-08-2007, 2:00 PM Reply   
http://www.elanboats.com/amrcnskr.htm
Website for current American Skier.
I think it was last updated in about 2002.

Did PCM make a GT-40 in 2007 or do they mean a rebuild?

(Message edited by rallyart on November 08, 2007)
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-08-2007, 2:14 PM Reply   
something is off. I may be wrong , but i dont think American skier made a 24' boat in 1994. Or have they ever i think. Elan boats have been out of business for a few years now. a 2007 pcm will either be a prosport, excalibur or Zr6.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-08-2007, 3:40 PM Reply   
a place in Texas had 2 supersports, the interior was rough on both, but they were both under 14k.... got ours for 18k with a new engine, craigslist is littered with deals
Old     (wakechica)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-09-2007, 6:38 AM Reply   
Chris here is a pic of the boat and thanks for the info guys. you all have helped a lot.
Upload
Old     (delbert)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-09-2007, 6:48 AM Reply   
MM, I believe there were not a lot of those made so it may be difficult to find someone who has first hand experience. I have seen two for sale over the last 5 years. The one pictures and a black and white one out of FL. They also made an i/o version as well.

Good luck with the boat search.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-09-2007, 7:18 AM Reply   
Personally, I like it, and for 13K it looks like a nice boat.
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-09-2007, 7:22 AM Reply   
Not a big name brand, but if the boat is solid go for it. A lot of those older boats were set up very similar to each other, a 24ft in that year is crazy, and the price is good, especially with a new engine, how much paper work does he have? Is it open bow? how are the seats set up. In az any v drive period is low twenties in the summer, and high teens in the winter. You can find other DDs for 5 to 15ish but you are then talking 19 or 20 footers. Send some pics I am curious on how that boat is set up, interior, etc. If I hadnt bought a boat a few months ago, I would be intersetd in that thing.
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-09-2007, 7:24 AM Reply   
I was thinking, with a built in swim platform, it is like 24ft-2ft=22ft. But 22ft is still big, especially for 94. Still a nice boat.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-09-2007, 8:39 AM Reply   
Yeah, it looks like he's measuring to back of built in swim step,(that's an I/O trick) but still looks long for a boat of that era.

Hard to tell from the pic, is it a V or D drive?

GT-40s are good engines but were not available new in 2007, must be rebuilt?

Does look like a nice boat, take it out for a ride and see what you think!
Old    K.B.C.            11-09-2007, 8:57 AM Reply   
you're going to be extremely hard pressed to find a v-drive in the price range of $13k. I would say almost impossible actually. Maybe an old Barefoot/Excel Nautique, but it won't have 100 hours. That looks like a pretty nice boat for $13k
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-09-2007, 9:26 AM Reply   
I have seen a few of these. They are very big boats and would most likely take a lot of weight. I've only seen the wake un ballasted and it was wide and rampy but looked to have potential with most likely 2k of ballast.

Looks a nice boat for 13k if you need the extra room this offers.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-09-2007, 9:37 AM Reply   
that looks really nice....lots of weight it should be awesome
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-09-2007, 12:43 PM Reply   
One of the board shops in Santa Rosa (Ski and Sports) ran that same boat for a few years in the late 90's.

Good hull, well built, lots of room.
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-11-2007, 6:47 AM Reply   
Gt 40 went away in o5-05 so it must be a rebuild because ford quit making the cast iron block. My 00 SAN had the gt 40 and it was great. Sack that boat down and find out if it is enough to push a 24 footer. I have the new 236 nauti and would not want a 350 in it. Good luck GT 40 was extremely reliable powerplant
Old     (jumpman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-12-2007, 7:35 AM Reply   
1993 AMERICAN SKIER EAGLE.
Old     (sulmaxwell)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-12-2007, 9:56 AM Reply   
had a 90 american skier legend and it was built like a tank..they use a special resin in the fiberglass...look slike a nice boat for the price...pluse easy to work on...new engine too boot!