Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-04-2006, 5:55 PM Reply   
This really seems to be a new trend. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember thread after thread or multiple complaints on boards landing hard all that long ago. I can really only remember this back to about 1.5-2 years.

At one time it was heel bruising and how to modify boots for more cushioning and protection.
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-05-2006, 1:05 PM Reply   
...Then the Ultrasucks came out with a footbed, and Hyperlite is still oblivious. :-)

Don't forget, wakes are getting a lot bigger, and more and more people are just learning how to go straight to flips, without working on takeoffs/landings.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-05-2006, 1:09 PM Reply   
I think a lot of people are going a lot bigger than they used to. Stock wakes are getting pretty big. Also, I think technique is a lot of it.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-05-2006, 3:31 PM Reply   
Aden and Evan you both have valid points which got me to thinking.

Do you think people are landing flat on their boards vs landing on edge?

I've still got this old waterski magazine from somewhere around the mid 90's and it has an article in it, that might even be about kneeboarding but the boarder was relating wakeboarding and I think kneeboarding and discussing the idea of taking off on edge and landing on edge. I'll have to refresh this weekend it's at the cabin but I believe that's what the article entailed.

Do you think that people don't spend enough time learning the basics of the sport? I know I've been grilled and have had to take things back to the basics more than once and it's looking like I'll have to yet again when I start next season. I did notice a trend at one point of watching the next generation of riders go out there throw one big roll or tantrum while missing the bag of grabs, ts, and switch tricks (I'm working on the ts and I'll admit my switch needs a world of work).
Old     (fuel)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-05-2006, 4:23 PM Reply   
I am not a great rider, but I will comment on this. I think one thing we are forgetting is that a lot of us are getting older. Landings and crashes hurt a lot more than when I was in my 20s. I think that has something to do with it. I used to shrug off stuff that has me hurting now. I think a lot of us are like that.

On the other hand, I go bigger now than I ever have, simply because of improved technique. But the landings are harsher. Even landing on edge is harder than it used to be. There is no mistake about it. I have rode a lot of different boards and I certainly believe that some boards have softer landings than others. I bought a Natural simply for this and the fact that it met everything I wanted in a board. I have never rode the Marius so I cannot comment on it, but the Fish is the softest landing board I ever rode. I just hate everything else about it.

I just don't buy into the opinion that all boards land the same. I rode my old Harris 137 several weeks ago and landed on edge almost every time. I could definitely feel the difference. Between me and my friends, we have a bunch of boards and all of them ride and land somewhat different. If all boards ride the same and land the same, we would still be riding the skurfer.
Old     (fuel)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-05-2006, 4:25 PM Reply   
I am not a great rider, but I will comment on this. I think one thing we are forgetting is that a lot of us are getting older. Landings and crashes hurt a lot more than when I was in my 20s. I think that has something to do with it. I used to shrug off stuff that has me hurting now. I think a lot of us are like that.

On the other hand, I go bigger now than I ever have, simply because of improved technique. But the landings are harsher. Even landing on edge is harder than it used to be. There is no mistake about it. I have rode a lot of different boards and I certainly believe that some boards have softer landings than others. I bought a Natural simply for this and the fact that it met everything I wanted in a board. I have never rode the Marius so I cannot comment on it, but the Fish is the softest landing board I ever rode. I just hate everything else about it.

I just don't buy into the opinion that all boards land the same. I rode my old Harris 137 several weeks ago and landed on edge almost every time. I could definitely feel the difference. Between me and my friends, we have a bunch of boards and all of them ride and land somewhat different. If all boards ride the same and land the same, we would still be riding the skurfer.
Old     (fuel)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-05-2006, 4:26 PM Reply   
Sorry for the double post.