Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (mcx2ryd)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-15-2006, 10:47 PM Reply   
Has anybody else had nay problems with there Fulton winches before? I have gone through 2 handles stripping, and tonight the a 2" spot on the big gear piece has the teeth broken off thus when there is any tension on the winch it keeps clicking back. It is pooched and also needs replacing..... Maybe i should get an electric winch. Its not like I am a 250lb+ guy winching this thing... I am only 150.... Getting quite frustated with this crap mastercraft has...
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-16-2006, 5:27 AM Reply   
mine has been fine-but i dont crank my boat up with it-set boat buddy,back in trailer,drive up-click,drive out,attach strap and snug up
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-16-2006, 6:47 AM Reply   
I just checked the PDF owners manual I keep on my work computer and word for word this is what it says about the winch.

***It is not recommended to use the winch as the sole method for loading the boat onto the trailer. However, it is satisfactory in assisting in the event of engine power loss.
Old     (mcx2ryd)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-16-2006, 10:17 AM Reply   
Okay... so yes they should have a winch on there that is satisfactory for pulling the boat onto the trailer and should not break. Launches around here aren't deep enough that I want to power load it onto the trailer. The boat buddy is a PIECE of $#IT in my opinion. Has not worked since day one. It was locked when it came back from the dealer for service but still it does not work.
Old     (hyperlite7572)      Join Date: May 2005       08-16-2006, 11:09 AM Reply   
i have one on my trailer, and have never had a problem with it... itas great and 10 times better then my old one!
Old     (sanger1)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-16-2006, 11:41 AM Reply   
I have a Fulton winch on my new Sanger trailer and it sucks. The handle will need to be replaced soon because of stripping also.Quality of the materials used is crap. There should be no problem winching your boat on your trailer.It is just another example of manufactures cutting corners for sake of profit instead building a quality product that will give the buyer years of trouble free operation. And Sanger does not build there own trailers, so no bashing them.
Old    bigrich            08-16-2006, 12:31 PM Reply   
So here is my question. Whether you crank your boat on the trailer with the winch or drive it on the winch is the only thing securing your boat to the trailer. If the winch slips that means the boat can slip off the trailer or at least back. On my old boat I had a safety chain but on my new trailer I have not found a good way to install it yet. Any body make anything like this? Any details
cause that is scary.
Old     (hbskier)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-16-2006, 3:58 PM Reply   
Rich, just bolt the chain or cable on with a square U-bolt, bracket and locking nuts.
Old    bigrich            08-16-2006, 4:10 PM Reply   
I did that with my old galvanized trailer. My new trailer is painted and is already showing some surface rust spots in some places (mainly around welds). I was trying to avoid more rust but if no one has come up with a different solution then I'll deal with it. Thanks though Ryan.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-16-2006, 4:23 PM Reply   
No transom straps Rich??
Old    bigrich            08-16-2006, 4:44 PM Reply   
Not while the boat is going up the ramp only when towing long distances.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-16-2006, 11:05 PM Reply   
Good, I got nervous for you.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-17-2006, 5:30 AM Reply   
I have had Boat Buddies on my last 2 boats and I like em. I added it to my current trailer after having the first one on my old MC. It's not the most sturdy design I've ever seen, but continues to work even halfway mangled. I would NOT, however, trust it to pull the boat out of the water without hooking up the winch strap first.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-17-2006, 9:01 AM Reply   
"I would NOT, however, trust it to pull the boat out of the water without hooking up the winch strap first."

trace- then what exactly does the boat buddy accomplish for you?? I thought that's the whole point...?
Old     (mcx2ryd)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-17-2006, 10:05 AM Reply   
So yesterday I replaced my winch at a different dealer I bought the boat from and they warrantied it no problem or questions asked! And that was at Rayburn's in Kelowna. Last night was really the first time I actually drove the boat up onto the boat buddy.... once again doesn't work. GRRRRR!

But I got a new winch and it seems great as of last night!!
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-17-2006, 10:10 AM Reply   
Are you sure you are putting the lever on the correct way? Up locks the pin open and down lets the trigger close it when the bow eye hits it. Also you have to have your trailer so the top of the fenders are even with the water and be at a landing where it is not too steep otherwise it doesn't line up right. I would make the dealer go to a ramp with you and troubleshoot it.
Old     (mcx2ryd)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-17-2006, 8:34 PM Reply   
Yeah i finally got the buddy to work... stupid thing..
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-17-2006, 11:29 PM Reply   
By Brent (mcx2ryd) on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 8:34 pm:

quote:

Yeah i finally got the buddy to work... stupid thing..

Stupid thing or stupid you?

hahahasorry I had too.

The winch tho is pretty stupid...ok stupid is not the word,maybe a POS!!!

I just had to change mine after 300hrs and I always do exactly what Matt said...

quote:

i dont crank my boat up with it-set boat buddy,back in trailer,drive up-click,drive out,attach strap and snug up

I had to crank it up a few times since I ran out of gas but still the teeth were all striped out.....WTF??
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-18-2006, 5:13 AM Reply   
It's a lot easier to click in the BB and just hook the strap up, than the whole two-person ordeal with one goosing the throttle WFO & the other cranking the winch.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-18-2006, 8:55 AM Reply   
The whole point of the boat buddy is to be able to just back the trailer in and drive the boat on without having to crank the boat up-People this is not a comlex issue here just drive it on click and pull out.and if you are breaking your winch pulling your boat out- why not back the trailer in a little more jeez
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-18-2006, 9:55 AM Reply   
The boat buddy pin sometimes has a tendancy to get stuck and if you don't notice it, you run the risk of bending it slighty , which can make it stick even more.
Old     (hyperactive)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-18-2006, 8:48 PM Reply   
Brent,, Glad to hear Rayburns took care of you in Kelowna... Hope the rest of your trip goes well out there and you can enjoy the water and not our crappy launches in BC and AB.
FYI our southern neighbours, our launches are definatley not up to the standards as yours, so many a time one does have to hand crank our boats on...