Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-12-2010, 8:23 AM Reply   
Thanks Nick. I wish that I could take on what it would cost to get a v-drive...but law school won't allow it!

I think starting out with something like the sunsetter listed above and learning the ropes for a couple years will work out pretty well...especially given that their values don't appear to drop much.

It's just one of those things where you really want to have your own boat - but I'm sure you are right - in 2-3 years, I'll probably be moving on to step 2!
Old     (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-12-2010, 8:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_airjunky View Post
I went from a 1994 205 with about 800 lbs of ballast to a 2005 Vride with 900 lbs of ballast, and adding more. The difference in the stance on the water, even when sitting still, is dramatic. If I'm sitting in the Vride & a surfer goes by, I don't really sweat it when the wave approaches. But in the 205, I'd have to start the boat & position it so the wake would come across the bow or it could easily swamp the boat. And driving the two boats, the Vride is definitely more forgiving. The higher freeboard definitely makes it easier on you all the way around.
Really? It could happen that easily? Being on here is like browsing in a Mercedes dealership before you buy your VW!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-12-2010, 8:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dh03r6 View Post
Step two 11 seems a tad high for a 94. Any wood in it?
My guess is that 94 does have wood stringers and floor. I don't know for sure though.

This is how I would rank those 3 boats.

#1 95 sunsetter my a good sized margin.
#2 94 sunsetter if the floor and stringers are solid
#3 response

These rankings are based on all boats being in similar shape and if they are all beat on I wouldn't buy any of them. I also based it on wakeboarding being the main objective.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-12-2010, 8:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by utb View Post
Really? It could happen that easily? Being on here is like browsing in a Mercedes dealership before you buy your VW!
With people throwing huge surf wake now, you bet. If there is no ballast and only a couple of people in the boat it might not happen, but when you have 4 or 5 people and 1k+ ballast in the boat it could happen.
Old     (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-12-2010, 8:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
This is how I would rank those 3 boats.

#1 95 sunsetter my a good sized margin.
#2 94 sunsetter if the floor and stringers are solid
#3 response

These rankings are based on all boats being in similar shape and if they are all beat on I wouldn't buy any of them. I also based it on wakeboarding being the main objective.
I like the 95 but since it doesn't have a tower, I would really have to negotiate to make it fit within my budget. Thanks for the heads up though.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-12-2010, 9:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Hey Matt,
How much boat experience do you have? Your kinda showing some naivete here. If thats true, maybe you should backup a bit here. How much ride time have you gotten under your belt?

I ask because when I started doing this boat stuff, I really had no idea what I was going to be into. We lived near a bunch of ski/board manufacturers & I had a slalom ski that I wanted to learn how to use. I bought a used 18' SeaRay & learned how to back up a trailer, launch a boat, approach a dock, pull a skier, etc. A year or so of that & we picked up a wakeboard (the original Hyperlite) when they first came out. And we added some weight an an extended pylon to the boat. A few years of that & I picked up a used AirChair. A year or two of that & I sold the SeaRay & picked up the 205, which was 3 times the cost of the SeaRay. The point being that I didn't spend a ton of cash on a boat till I was pretty set in what I liked to do in & behind it. I bought that SeaRay for $7900 & sold it 3 years later for $5500..... I didn't think that was a bad investment for 3 yrs of learning experience. And had I fallen into a different discipline, or decided this sport wasn't for me, it would have been my way out without a major loss.

You knowing about very specific features about a boat is definitely important to make a buying decision, especially if you think your going to keep the boat for any length of time. Believe me, our tastes change, and what may work for you now, may not work at all for you next year.

Get some ride time behind a few different boats. You'll learn quickly what features & traits you do & don't like about a boat. And then when you do get one, it'll be a more educated decision for you. And maybe you'll have some more money too.

Every boat owner needs 2 or 3 boat sluts to come along, drive for him while he rides, help drink the beer, pay for gas, wipe the boat down & launch the boat. A good boat slut brings beer & chips & all his own gear along. He's organized, shows up on time, and helps prep & take care of the boat. And every boat owner REALLY APPRECIATES his boat sluts & calls them back all the time!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-12-2010, 9:07 AM Reply   
Matt, towers are overrated, go with a $100 ten foot pole. Straight old school gangsta. Just kidding, kind of. Think about it this way, would your rather have a great boat with a great hull and no accessories or a less than ideal hull/boat loaded with aftermarket accessories? The actual boat(hull, interior, drivetrain) are the most important things in the boat. All that other stuff can be added and for not too much money if you do some research and shop around. At least then you can upgrade and put whatever tower you want on the boat and like the guys have said the Titan tower or whoever is making it nowadays is only 1400-1500 or something like that. trick towers makes a tower for 1150. It might not have the best lines for that 95 sunsetter but is cheap and you should be able to install it if you have any friends with some tools and that are handy.

http://www.tricktowers.com/1752.html
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-12-2010, 9:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_airjunky View Post
Hey Matt,
How much boat experience do you have? Your kinda showing some naivete here. If thats true, maybe you should backup a bit here. How much ride time have you gotten under your belt?

I ask because when I started doing this boat stuff, I really had no idea what I was going to be into. We lived near a bunch of ski/board manufacturers & I had a slalom ski that I wanted to learn how to use. I bought a used 18' SeaRay & learned how to back up a trailer, launch a boat, approach a dock, pull a skier, etc. A year or so of that & we picked up a wakeboard (the original Hyperlite) when they first came out. And we added some weight an an extended pylon to the boat. A few years of that & I picked up a used AirChair. A year or two of that & I sold the SeaRay & picked up the 205, which was 3 times the cost of the SeaRay. The point being that I didn't spend a ton of cash on a boat till I was pretty set in what I liked to do in & behind it. I bought that SeaRay for $7900 & sold it 3 years later for $5500..... I didn't think that was a bad investment for 3 yrs of learning experience. And had I fallen into a different discipline, or decided this sport wasn't for me, it would have been my way out without a major loss.

You knowing about very specific features about a boat is definitely important to make a buying decision, especially if you think your going to keep the boat for any length of time. Believe me, our tastes change, and what may work for you now, may not work at all for you next year.

Get some ride time behind a few different boats. You'll learn quickly what features & traits you do & don't like about a boat. And then when you do get one, it'll be a more educated decision for you. And maybe you'll have some more money too.

Every boat owner needs 2 or 3 boat sluts to come along, drive for him while he rides, help drink the beer, pay for gas, wipe the boat down & launch the boat. A good boat slut brings beer & chips & all his own gear along. He's organized, shows up on time, and helps prep & take care of the boat. And every boat owner REALLY APPRECIATES his boat sluts & calls them back all the time!
That may be the best advice so far other than bringing chips on the boat. I hate it when people bring chips, pretzels, nuts, etc on the boat. It just means a big mess. But maybe I had a bad experience when I was 18 and out on the boat drinking beers till 2 in the morning when someone brought out pretzels? The next day I went down to the boat and the whole carpet was covered with pretzels that had gotten wet and stomped into the carpet. Damn those pretzels, no more random snacks on boats.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-12-2010, 9:19 AM Reply   
+1 for no food... the only thing worse than crumbs all over the carpet was lifting up a seat and finding a bag of combos with enough mold foam to kill a baby... it was absolutely disgusting
Old     (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-12-2010, 9:20 AM Reply   
Bill - you are right, we are pretty amateurish. That's why we have set a fairly low budget and want to get something that would keep it's value should we need to sell.

You are probably right - but it's tough to turn back now.
Old     (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-12-2010, 9:25 AM Reply   
What about a 99 tige 22i for $11k?

http://www.wakeworld.com/uploads_use...42165_zoom.jpg

I have received some mixed reviews - some have said that the Tige boats are great and others said that they are too wide to create great wakes. Thoughts?
Old     (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-12-2010, 9:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
+1 for no food... the only thing worse than crumbs all over the carpet was lifting up a seat and finding a bag of combos with enough mold foam to kill a baby... it was absolutely disgusting
Are pop-tarts ok?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-12-2010, 9:34 AM Reply   
Yea, I hear you Matt. It can be a fun process..... and it can be frustrating as hell too. But then again, ramming your new to you $20,000 boat into a dock or your trailer because you don't know how to drive it very well may be pretty frustrating too.

And I hear you guys on the food in the boat. I rarely ever have kids on the boat. And haven't have the problem with the food getting all over. And obviously some people don't drink beer either. But the point is that a good boat slut will contribute to the whole boating experience in ways that the boat owner can appreciate. Believe me when gas costs $4 / gallon & you walk up with a 5 gallon can ready to dump in his boat, you will make BIG points (just take a second to use a nice new gas can & know what grade of gas he uses).

Matt, at least spend some time out on the lake & learn what you do & don't like about the different boats. Higher freeboard or a deeper floor is something that you will notice & understand why we mention it, especially when your surprised by a big roller hitting the boat & it blows water in your boat or tosses your little kid. Ask lots of questions too. Test drive the boats, even better if you test it in less than ideal conditions & get a feel for how it handles the chop. Learn the difference in riding in a boat equipped with a tower vs an extended pylon. Or how one boat turns a corner or pulls out of the hole vs another boat (all boats are not equal).
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-12-2010, 9:52 AM Reply   
found this one in denver don't know if this is to far for ya.http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/1639148318.html
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-12-2010, 9:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake26 View Post
found this one in denver don't know if this is to far for ya.http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/1639148318.html
Wow, that is a great deal if the boat is all redone and in good shape. Huge freeboard, lots of room for a direct drive, great wake making ability all around it is a great boat. Again, just check the stringers and floor.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-12-2010, 10:18 AM Reply   
agreed. i would be all over that.
Old     (schmidt18)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-12-2010, 10:59 AM Reply   
Alright, finally found all of these old school pictures. Let me give you guys a little timeline. I agree with what was said above, you really need to get a boat that you don't mind, putting a few dings or scratches in until you get comfortable on the water. I've been across the realm on boats, been behind everything and owned what I "thought" I wanted at the time. So here it goes....

First boat at 14: 1956 Lonestar with a 35 hp Johnson Outboard engine, had to lean all the way forward with 1 person in the boat to pull us up. It was how we learned, and it was a boat we could care less about, got it free and just used the hell out of it. Started dreaming about Mariah's at this point....

Second boat at 19: 1988 Celebrity I/O, got it pretty cheap and custom built a sundeck on the back, added the tower myself and threw some ballast bags in every-once-in-awhile. This is when we started to get into wakeboarding more and didn't have alot of money. Kept this boat till the floor caved on me & sold it. Still wanting a "true" wakeboard boat.

Third boat at 25: 1996 Mariah Shabbah, FINALLY!!!! Wrong, 18' boat, 4.3L 140hp V6 I/O Mercruiser. It could pull you up, but with a full boat it was SLOW! Stripped the decals and installed a black tower, it worked for a year. Decent wake, about the same as the Celebrity though. Started saving after I bought it for the "true" wakeboat. Sold it after a year, for more than I paid.

Current boat, bought at 26: 2000 Moomba Mobius V. Bought it last year before season, It was a good 8 month process, drove a DD, hated them, there is no room for people in a DD imo, started searching for a V-Drive and the price went up, saved a little longer and got what I really wanted out of a boat. Room for 10, V-Drive, automatic ballast. LOVE IT!! I will never buy anything other than a V-Drive now.

As you can see, I worked up to it and it was well worth the wait. If I could change anything it would have been to leave out the Mariah, it was a good boat but pretty dissapointing as for what I really wanted. Like everyone has mentioned, just go out and drive them, ride behind them if you can, take some friends and have fun with it. I took 5 people with me on my last test with the Moomba, get everyones opinions and see how everyone fits in the boat. Someone else will always see at least one thing you didn't.

This post brings back alot of great memories though. Check out the pics, the boats are in order.
Attached Images

Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-12-2010, 11:01 AM Reply   
Yeah that Supra looks pretty good and I'm sure you could talk them down. I know there was a supra like that up here in Washington that was all re done the guy was selling it for 12k and he ended up taking 9k for it, that was like a week or 2 ago. People are super negotable these days.
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-12-2010, 11:34 AM Reply   
The older Sunsports like that one in Denver are great boats. They feel a lot bigger with a lot more storage/hidden ballast space than any other direct drive I have seen and I think they went to all fiberglass in 92 but dont quote me on that. Just for a point of reference I sold my 1990 SunSport 2 years ago for $9500 which was more than I paid for it 2 years before that. I now have a 97 SunSport and I love that boat. With that said I still shop around for deals on V-drives...My wife tells me I have a problem. :P
Old     (desotodave)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-12-2010, 11:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
What about the Prostar series? Is this solid?

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/1606389817.html
That boat is GREAT!! I had one that looked exactly like that back when I had knees and could SKI. It is a WATERSKI BOAT....... If you are a 3 sport guy that is the boat for you, but I don't think so.
Old     (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-12-2010, 11:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx_wake View Post
The older Sunsports like that one in Denver are great boats. They feel a lot bigger with a lot more storage/hidden ballast space than any other direct drive I have seen and I think they went to all fiberglass in 92 but dont quote me on that. Just for a point of reference I sold my 1990 SunSport 2 years ago for $9500 which was more than I paid for it 2 years before that. I now have a 97 SunSport and I love that boat. With that said I still shop around for deals on V-drives...My wife tells me I have a problem. :P
I'm on the trail!
Old     (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-12-2010, 12:33 PM Reply   
So the one in Denver is available, but driving 28 hours there and back to get a boat seems excessive. I actually managed to find the exact year and model boat here in Dallas, but it's listed at $14k.

I'm hoping I can talk him down to close to $11k.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=816717
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-12-2010, 12:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
So the one in Denver is available, but driving 28 hours there and back to get a boat seems excessive. I actually managed to find the exact year and model boat here in Dallas, but it's listed at $14k.

I'm hoping I can talk him down to close to $11k.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=816717
Holy crap that boat looks mint. If you have 11 or 12 you can throw down in cash you may be able to sway him. That boat looks great.
Old     (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-12-2010, 1:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Holy crap that boat looks mint. If you have 11 or 12 you can throw down in cash you may be able to sway him. That boat looks great.
Apparently he sold the boat a year ago, and he's asked them to take the post down and they haven't done it.

Bad luck for me!
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-12-2010, 1:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Apparently he sold the boat a year ago, and he's asked them to take the post down and they haven't done it.

Bad luck for me!

Can I call BS on this? I delete any ad when asked. It's deleted now.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-12-2010, 2:03 PM Reply   
More boats.

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/1619149793.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/boa/1641064647.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/boa/1614837356.html
Old     (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-12-2010, 2:21 PM Reply   
Thanks!

Will that Supra Mariah produce a good sized wake? That seems like a good option for a cheaper, beginner's boat.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-12-2010, 2:26 PM Reply   
I'm not sure on the Supra. I like that Malibu. You could get that for 11 or 12 I bet. I would be looking at boats priced 2-3k more then what you have to spend. You take cash with you and wave it in front of some one you will go home with a boat.
Old     (utb)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-12-2010, 2:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_slaunch View Post
I'm not sure on the Supra. I like that Malibu. You could get that for 11 or 12 I bet. I would be looking at boats priced 2-3k more then what you have to spend. You take cash with you and wave it in front of some one you will go home with a boat.
It's looking like I'm going to go with the '94 Malibu Sunsetter, or the '92 Supra Sunsport in Denver.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-12-2010, 2:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Thanks!

Will that Supra Mariah produce a good sized wake? That seems like a good option for a cheaper, beginner's boat.
I think those Mariah's are one of the Supras with the low gunnels. Do a little homework on that though. Probably best place is on the Supra owners forum.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-12-2010, 3:21 PM Reply   
Do not get that 94 Euro f3 Sunsetter, it has a completely different hull than the one I posted and you will be greatly disappointed.

You really need to slow down and take your time finding the right boat. I decided I wanted a 96-98 VLX several years back and within a few months we found one for 15k (this was 5 years ago)

Last edited by ttuclint; 03-12-2010 at 3:23 PM.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-12-2010, 7:45 PM Reply   
If it were my choice i would go with the 95 sunsetter. It's all fiberglass, you can add a wedge, if your worried about the cost of a tower you can pick them up on ebay regularly for 500-700 and install it yourself plus you can probably get any of the boats your looking at down a couple thou just by offering cash. That 94 is overpriced maybe for 8k but not for 11 i'm almost positive that the 94 is wood because my 89 has the same hull and it's wood. There is no comparison between that 94 and the 95 the 95 is a way better boat.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-22-2010, 8:16 PM Reply   
here is the boat to buy right here.

http://www.wakeworld.com/classifield...g.php?view=249