Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (freerider22)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-28-2009, 9:00 PM Reply   
I posted a thread a while back about dislocating shoulders, but now im getting the surgery done and was wondering whos been threw this before? What should I expect?
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-28-2009, 9:15 PM Reply   
I just had my second shoulder surgery on the same arm. You can expect about 6 months of downtime but I'll admit I was probably back on the water in 4 my first time. Your range of motion will likely be restricted in order to fix it. Take the rehab serious, do the work in and out of the gym, and you will be good.
Old     (mikebu)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-28-2009, 9:34 PM Reply   
What does your Dr say? When they did my last shoulder I was cleared for ice hockey after 13 weeks. I lost the sling after a couple of days and was riding the stationary bike as well.

I hope this works out for you. On both of my shoulders after surgery I have been dislocation free. Prior to surgery I would pop out at least once a month for years.
Old     (lemonhead)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-28-2009, 10:40 PM Reply   
I had a rear labrum tear in my right shoulder 2 years ago. Good news is that it feels about 97-98% nowadays. Make sure you you either go to PT or do it at home and DON'T skip it. The first month after surgery is key to getting mobility back.

(Message edited by lemonhead on September 28, 2009)
Old     (pacifichigh)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-29-2009, 7:37 AM Reply   
I've had a labrum repair and an AC joing repair on the same shoulder.

Hit the PT hard and learn how to fall to protect your shoulder. (Hand across belly button)

Good luck!!
Old     (jsw)      Join Date: Apr 2009       09-29-2009, 8:35 AM Reply   
after surgery you will have 3-4 months of pt. the first month is the worst as all you are really doing is getting your range of motion back. when you have the surgery they tighten it way up so you are just trying to stretch it and work it back to normal. dont take the pt lightly and make sure and do the stretches they tell you to do at home. the main thing that has helped me is to continue to work it out so it will stay nice and strong. pacifichigh is right. definitely learn how to fall. if you fall the way it came out before surgery it will come out again. mine did, but it's been fine since then with just working it out.
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       09-29-2009, 12:41 PM Reply   
so i dislocted my shoulder back in july 2007 while downhill skateboarding and didnt get it back in place cause i was not near a legit hospital. so i kept having problems and pain. i had shoulder surgery back in nov 2008. it wasnt a big surgey it was just to clean everything up bone spurs, cartilge, etc. well the doctor told me i would be in a sling for 2 weeks and not have full movment for a few months and will be 100% in about 6months. i tend to heal fast so the same day i was out of the sling, never took the pain killers and actually played a few holes of golf 4 days later. my game improved cause i slowed my swing! i went back to the doctor 5 days after the surgey and he was very confused on how i healed so fast. i had 95% movement, he didnt perscribe me any pt. but my little bro was a different story his shoulder surgery was a little more complex and he has been in pt for 8 months now and is still having problems. Best of luck in ur surgery and recovery
Old     (hp_inc)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-29-2009, 2:51 PM Reply   
Just had surgery yesterday to repair two tears of my labrum and rotator cuff in my right shoulder. Doc said should be back to 100% in about 6 months. Good luck with your surgery. Dr. told me the same as what everyone else is saying...P.T. is key to getting it as close to 100% as possible.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-29-2009, 5:09 PM Reply   
I had about 2 months in a sling, back to work in a week. Stopped hurting like hell and started on PT around 3 weeks in.

Falling with your arm across your body is a good idea, I fall like that automatically now.
Old     (freerider22)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-29-2009, 6:04 PM Reply   
Thanks guys! Not looking foward to the surgery and recovery but I cant wait to actually be able to ride like I want to again! Thanks again!
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       09-30-2009, 9:49 AM Reply   
I had my shoulder surgery 18 months ago to cure chronic dislocations. I had about 4 months of PT and like everyone said take it seriously. My shoulder will never be as good as it was before my injury and I still have some pain in it when working out or sleeping on it wrong. Still it is in a lot better shape than it was before surgery and I can do pretty much whatever I want with it.
Old     (mikebu)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-30-2009, 6:21 PM Reply   
Bruizza my experience is that the pain you mention working out will fade with time. But even if it doesn't fade not dislocating anymore is such a nice thing it is worth it...
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-30-2009, 6:28 PM Reply   
I had mine on the 10th and doing PT now. I was surprised at the lack of range of motion, so just lots of stretching exercises now. The pain definitely limits movement now, but looking forward to getting range of motion back to start strengthening. It is kind of a pain, but knowing next season should be much less pain riding is the motivator. Just do as the Dr. says and don't rush it to re-injure. Good luck.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       10-01-2009, 10:00 AM Reply   
I agree 100% mikebu, I will take the minor pain/discomfort that comes with working out over dislocations any day!
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-01-2009, 3:56 PM Reply   
I feel your pain Mikey, literally. I've had both shoulders reconstructed and I just had a partial shoulder replacement on Tuesday. Pain is insane. Caught the flu on top of it. Listen to the doc and don't skip rehab steps or it will end up worse. Good luck.