Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old    canadian_phil            07-10-2004, 10:25 AM Reply   
http://wake.com.au/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=26508#265 08
Old     (cam)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-10-2004, 6:57 PM Reply   
This guy didnt realise non members cant see photos in the forums, so I moved them into a photo gallery ... enjoy

http://wake.com.au/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=thumbnails&album= 189
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-12-2004, 10:32 AM Reply   
those ultras look sick.

I don't know about the zippers on the O'brien bindings. Kinda funny to me. The Xenon looks sick. They're pushin' it I think.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-12-2004, 10:40 AM Reply   
thats the new absolute platinum?
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-12-2004, 11:01 AM Reply   
i don't like the new style bindings it looks like you would use them to walk around on the moon.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-12-2004, 11:02 AM Reply   
Those O'Brien boots look wicked. I like.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-12-2004, 11:12 AM Reply   
the obrien's are ok, i don't like the watkins boot. lf ultras look good.

Looks like the Flame took on the 2004 Absolute Mold. The absolute looks like it took on the hawk design from Zane's 2003 Absolute
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-14-2004, 8:54 AM Reply   
i just noticed you can see the 05 Ricky G in the background of the 05 CWB boards pic. half of it anyway. i know someone else has already posted pics of Ricky actually riding the 05'er.

A guy at Gator told me they will start to ship next week! I dont know if that will be for all 3 sizes though.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-14-2004, 9:00 AM Reply   
yeah, the ultras look pretty bad ass.

doesn't watkins' bindings look like an air jordan design or something?

also, how hard are the zippers going to be to zip up or down? i remember the old lf pro sucs had zippers and were a bitch to zip.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-14-2004, 9:09 AM Reply   
Had a chance to check out the 05 Absolute yesterday, very cool. The new Zeus' are sick as hell, look forward to riding them. www.westsidewakeboard.com
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-14-2004, 9:13 AM Reply   
Brandon, what's the base of the new absolute like? Any major changes?
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-14-2004, 9:16 AM Reply   
I dissed the zipper idea in another thread and got chastized. But yeah, i think zippers suck. Everyone else thinks that zippers are somehow "pushing the limits" of binding manufacturing and are going to be the biggest revolution in the industry since bi-directional boards. I personally think the bindings look like a pair of And1 basketball shoes and think the zipper thing will be a failure.

I HOPE THEY PROVE ME WRONG!!!!!!

I can just envision the zippers slowly unzipping themselves after the first w2w.
Old    r_dub            07-14-2004, 10:03 AM Reply   
Tool fan, I believe I was one of the people who you thought "chastized" you on that other thread. I think we are completely misunderstanding eachother. I think what Docter Octagon and I were saying was, there is nothing wrong with trying new idea's and trying to be innovative, even if sometimes those idea's dont work out. I know I personally, was not trying to call you out or anything. As for zippers being the next big thing since directional boards, lol, I never meant to imply that. I was simply stating the fact that there were people who thought that wasnt going to work either. Darin Shapiro being one of them! Look through the old board pics and you will see in 96, he was the only one riding a directional board. Well, semi directional. It actually did have a fin in the front, but the shape was directional and it sucked to try and ride switch.
But I do agree that those bindings are pretty ugly. But, I think the idea of how the zipper works seems pretty cool. A guy on the other thread said the zipper is used simply to hold the outer shell together to keep your laces tucked away. I think that is a pretty cool concept myself, eventhough they are ugly. And if we are talking about ugly bindings, what about this years Randy Harris bindings? I heard they are great, but man they look like WWF wrestling boots. Ok, Im sure I pissed someone off with that comment.
But my main point being, this is still a relatively young sport/industry that is still growing. And maybe, just maybe, they havent really perfected everything in the industry yet. So there is nothing wrong with them trying new idea's. And we wont know unless they keep trying!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-14-2004, 10:04 AM Reply   
Zippers were proven 5 years ago when the LF Pro Suctions worked like a charm.

As for the CWB's, the Flame is last years Absolute, just like they did for 2004. This years Flame graphic was done by a well known motorcycle(chopper) artist & the base image looks incredible. The new Absolute is obviously different. New top design(obviously) and a tweaking of the undercarriage. I'm not sure how much I'm supposed to say, because they're not released yet. I second Brandon's Zeus comment, they are going to be sweet!! The Boss' even looks a lot better!! Gott love new sizz!
Old    r_dub            07-14-2004, 10:44 AM Reply   
Dont you guys hate it when you get something new, and before you know it, next years model is being released, and your like damn, mine is not the latest and greatest anymore. I just bought the 2004 Ricky G a few months ago, and now Im all curious about the 2005 thats coming out. looks like the graphics changed, but looks like it could be by the same artist.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-14-2004, 10:46 AM Reply   
looks like the same board to me, i wouldn't get a new board cause the graphics & color changed, stick with what you have for awhile cause then you will want the next board in 2006.
Old    r_dub            07-14-2004, 10:54 AM Reply   
Oh, Im not buying it either way. But I thought for sure they would make changes to it this year, because it's been the exact same the last two years. But it does ride awesome, so hey maybe they are thinking "if it aint broke, dont fix it".
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-14-2004, 11:04 AM Reply   
The Gator rep I talked to said the board was "all new". He didnt clarify if that meant a new shape or just graphics.

As for the new Absolute Platinum, i have heard that the top sheet is carbon fiber. No way to verify that but it definately looks like it. It may just be made to LOOK like carbon fiber. If it is, I wonder if that will change may of the characterics of the way it functions. It could lead to more pop or softer landings. just a thought.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-14-2004, 11:07 AM Reply   
Stephen- probably good to keep it hush hush, haven't seen the Boss' yet, but look forward to it. I had some input on the design of the Zeus' this year, I think you'll see them all over the place.

J-Rod -- They changed the graphics completly, and all I can say about the base is it is similar to the past years.....only different!!
www.westsidewakeboard.com
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-14-2004, 11:19 AM Reply   
ever year the new stuff comes out and i want it... uggg.. i need to stop looking at this... i just got a new board
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       07-14-2004, 11:22 AM Reply   
Just to quickly touch on the directional vs. twin argument, darin never said that twins didn't work. He just liked the cut and speed he could maintain on a directional board. And to make it ride more like a twin, he centered his stance and added a nose fin.

I don't think anyone can dispute the idea that twins were groundbreaking. Of course there are positives and negatives to each, but some insane down once that flight came out.

And in case it comes up, he (darin) didn't wear boots at first because they were cumbersome and unsupportive. When he had his straps, he had pressure points that let him know he was locked in. ANyway, blah blah blah, I suppose...

I like zippers on my pants. Especially when they're at the bottom of the cuff by the ankle...so 80's.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-14-2004, 11:26 AM Reply   
I had a chance to ride the the new O'Brien bindings a couple of weeks ago. Some of you may not like the way they look, but they are the most comfortable bindings I have ever ridden.

The part of the binding with the zipper is simply a cover that provides the function of keeping the laces tucked away.

What you can't see/feel from the pictures is the bindings are totally new from the inside out. The new material used on the inside of the bindings is extremely soft, but also grippy on your foot. The footbed is new and incredibly supportive. The inserts in the foot bed provide more grip and are cushy as well . With this type of material for the first time ever I felt like I didn't have to crush my feet in the bindings to feel secure. No more cramped feet!!!

I agree that they are definitely different looking but I care more about how things work and less about how they look.

Later,
jjakober
Old    r_dub            07-14-2004, 11:40 AM Reply   
Thanks, for the history lesson on Darin, lol.
I guess I shouldnt have said he didnt think it would work, I guess I should have said he didnt think it worked "Well", lol.
Man, Im REALLY having a hard time getting my point across here.

(Message edited by r_dub on July 14, 2004)
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-14-2004, 11:48 AM Reply   
jjakober,
thats awesome. I just hate it when people say "THOSE BINDINGS LOOK SOOOOOOO COMFORTABLE!".

how in the hell can you look at a pair of bindings and tell they are comfortable on your feet?

or when people see a new gadget on a binding and think it will be the answer to all their problems.

Sounds like Obrien is tinkering with new materials, that is great.
I really like what LF did with their new liners.

Im just a fan of the KISS rule.

Keep It Simple Stupid.

Ultras Rule and so does Hassellhoff!
Old    r_dub            07-14-2004, 11:57 AM Reply   
Hey, I bet Hassellhoff had some pants that had zippers in the cuff!
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-14-2004, 11:57 AM Reply   
Dude, those O'Brien bindings look so comfy. ha ha

CHEF, what's the word on that CWB skate?
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-14-2004, 12:07 PM Reply   
I was hoping that this would be the year that a manufacturer stepped up to the plate and dabbled with the greatest material of all time.......DENIM!!!

Think about it, a nice gold zipper on a pair of blue acid-washed bindings.

Park's and Ricky G's boards match their bindings, why can my bindings match my cut-offs?

I would really be pimpin' then. Especially when I show up to the dock pulling my old bayliner with my 1986 IROC-Z.

I rule so hard!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-14-2004, 12:13 PM Reply   
Tool, only if you had the Blue Blockers on and a fanny-pack.

Did you guys see the ad for The Boarding School is the new WBM??? If you've seen it, you'll know the one I'm talking about.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-14-2004, 12:14 PM Reply   
KING OF THE REMOTE CONTROL!?!?!
Old    r_dub            07-14-2004, 12:16 PM Reply   
You know, that might make for a really cool board graphic also. We actually have some old ski's from the 70's that look like denim. You could throw a couple holes in there, and maybe a bandana tied around it.
Toolfan, all you need now is to pull up to the dock blarring REO Speedwagon.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-14-2004, 12:22 PM Reply   
REO Speedwagon is for wussies.

VAN HAGGAR, baby.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-14-2004, 12:24 PM Reply   
toolfan- i assume you listen to A Perfect Circle as well since your a tool or maynard fan?
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-14-2004, 12:29 PM Reply   
why yes I do. and the Replicants.

off the subject of 05 Boards, I managed to get to several APC shows on this last tour. Burning Brides rocked as well.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-14-2004, 1:31 PM Reply   
Brandon - I guess Steve had the new Absolute shipped to him so it would be there for the tournament & CWB messed one digit up in his address so he didn't get it until a day later. How much does that suck! At first I didn't like the direction they were taking the Zeus but I think they pulled it off very well! I agree with the hush, don't want to be getting in trouble, ha.

PS - The new Ricky G is all new. I didn't realize it but I saw an '04 & the '05 next to each other on the starting dock the other day. I didn't want to pick up his board & start inspecting it but it looked like it had more rocker & hooked rails. Don't quote me I didn't get a good look.