Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-01-2008, 7:40 PM Reply   
Ok it's winter and im at it again. I bought this LED trailer light Sequencer from Owl Lighting. last year with the intention I would get right on it and one thing led to another and Im finally getting it done. Im glad I waited. This job cant be done with the boat on the trailer.
Upload
Here's how it works. You install LED's length wise down your trailer. I chose to install 40 LEDs. 20 on each side of the trailer. 10-1/2 apart all the way down the trailer.
I made these metal strips that the LED lights attach to.
Upload
The metal strips attach to the trailer.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
This Black box is a water switch. It mounts at the back of the trailer and when it touches water it turns on the Sequencer. The Sequencer will make the lights turn on in a wave. It will look like a Airport landing strip.
Upload
That's all I have for now. I have to paint the metal strips and then wire the system up.
I have a tone of stuff to do to the trailer. Im gonna re carpet the bunks and re wire all the lights. The wire job DHM did is a JOKE. New saftey chains, new trailer jack, Im gonna detail the entire trailer. Take the hub's apart and rebuild everything.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-01-2008, 7:54 PM Reply   
dedication if you ask me. You better hope they're not like Christmas lights if one doesn't work. Be sure to post pics of that beast when you're done.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-01-2008, 8:02 PM Reply   
Sweet! so they'll only be on when the trailer hits the water? Can you control them any other way? Tie em into your break lights? I realize there is a lot of legality that goes along with extra lighting on road vehicles but I live so close to the launch I really don't care.

Anyway cool as usual "G"
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-01-2008, 8:02 PM Reply   
That is going to look soooo nice!
Question: why did you have to add the metal strips?
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       12-01-2008, 8:53 PM Reply   
Great thanks "G" now I am going to have another task to tackle.. let me guess you stay out past dark and the ramp you use has no light. (Thats how mine is).. That is an awsome idea. Like Mike I am wondering why not mount the straight to the trailer? Also how are you handeling the wire being submerged? look forward to seeing the progress..

(Message edited by liljohn on December 01, 2008)
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-01-2008, 9:12 PM Reply   
John, shameless plug but my company carries all kinds of wiring connectors, some of which are waterproof if you do decide to tackle the project.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-01-2008, 9:14 PM Reply   
VLX: LOL they are not hooked up like that the main unit works each light by itself.
Hate: When the boats on the trailer you wont be able to see most of the LED lights so I don't see the need to keep the lights on after the boat is on the trailer. Yes we use our boat at night all the time. Im wondering if the LED lights will actually help guide me as I drive the boat on the trailer. I doubt it but I will see.
Mike:I decided to make the LED lights mount to the metal strip's for 2 reasons. I thought it would be much easyer to drill the small holes for the lights into the metal mounting strips than into the trailer. I also thought if the lights didnt work out and I wanted them off my trailer it wouldnt be filled with holes.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-01-2008, 10:01 PM Reply   
Grant, Where are you going to find carbon fiber carpet to redo the bunks?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-01-2008, 11:18 PM Reply   
That is so cool. My wife thinks you are clinically insane.
Old     (99sportster)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-01-2008, 11:50 PM Reply   
The pics were posted on themalibucrew- Smooth Water Sports sells a kit with a similar switch that activates the lights when the trailer is in the water.

Upload
Upload
Old     (99sportster)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-02-2008, 12:00 AM Reply   
just found this article on the switch as well.

http://www.goboatingmag.com/hob/DM_article.asp?id=4797
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-02-2008, 4:17 AM Reply   
Is it illegal to have lights like this on while going down the road?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-02-2008, 6:26 AM Reply   
Brian: Did the lights on the Smooth water sports kit Sequence?
Old    murphy8166            12-02-2008, 8:05 AM Reply   
Here comes Santa Claus, here comes Santa Claus, right down Santa Claus lane!!!!!

JK....looks cool
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-02-2008, 8:43 AM Reply   
I had a similar idea only with the trailer bunks themselves. Something like a recessed light strip alongside the trailer bunks that sits lower than the bunk itself so it doesnt interfere with the loading of the boat. Looking forward to seeing more. Grant do you also have those LED Pole guides they sell?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-02-2008, 9:01 AM Reply   
I understand why you are doing this the way you are but I still think they would look a lot better if you mounted them under the trailer like under car neon.

Post some pics when you done.
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       12-02-2008, 9:08 AM Reply   
I have the same kit on my triple axle by Smooth Water Sports except that my lights are white. I had them wired so that they are on all of the time. I haven't had any issues as of yet as far as the law goes, and the boat looks great going down the road!

McFly
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-02-2008, 9:26 AM Reply   
i'm thinking the same as dave...its probably too late but half of them pointed down would look awesome...especially with the sequencer effect. most ramps will light up real good.

can you splice in more lights to that box?

where did you get it? i did a quick search and didn't find much
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-02-2008, 9:29 AM Reply   
This guy is clinically insane:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=K6sZg3iL5EY
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-02-2008, 9:30 AM Reply   
Since they're LED I'm sure he could splice a second light at each location facing down without a problem on that controller box.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       12-02-2008, 9:44 AM Reply   
It would be cool if, in addition to the water switch you added an IR or wireless switch.

I'm thinking of doing this with the lights on my dock. That way if we're coming in at night i can holdup a remote and the lights on the dock come on!
Old     (99sportster)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-02-2008, 9:54 AM Reply   
Grant,
Pretty sure the SWS kit doesn't include a sequencer...like was mentioned earlier, you're the only (clinically insane) person who would add a sequencer and use that many lights. Should look pretty awesome when you're done!
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-02-2008, 10:32 AM Reply   
G;
You will have to do the same in the bed of the Escalade so you can ride your new "Tansition" into place.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-03-2008, 2:56 PM Reply   
If you want to get really fancy put lights on your guide poles. It makes things really easy in the dark! Just drive between the two lights!

Upload
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-03-2008, 2:58 PM Reply   
I like the guide pole light idea. Where would you get those.
Thanks
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-03-2008, 4:14 PM Reply   
Kstate: I had seen somthing like that at west marine. But it didnt look high quality
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       12-04-2008, 11:42 AM Reply   
Now someone tell me why a boat manufacturer wouldn't just do the light guide pole idea. I mean why does something like that have to be an aftermarket item..
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       12-04-2008, 11:42 AM Reply   
and/or trailer manufacturer..
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-04-2008, 12:33 PM Reply   
$$
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       12-04-2008, 12:52 PM Reply   
so they take the $$, and use it for under the platform LED's, that really serve no actual purpose other than to look sweet?

i'd rather swap the $$ from the under platform LED's to the trailer guide pole LED's!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-04-2008, 1:30 PM Reply   
I think the "Trailer Pole" lights are suposed to be kind of illegal. Somthing about the height of the lights with OEM equipment. The aftermarket ones I have seen seem pretty cheep. Im not sure its about skimping. I have seen some pretty blinged out Extreme trailer's. That's one think I wished I woulndt have skimped on. I think a killer DHM trailer is running like 7 grand these days
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-05-2008, 7:57 AM Reply   
I've actually redone these since this photo. The new ones I have one are red in the back and amber in the front... Which makes them legal. All amber is not legal because amber can't face the rear.

they sell these lights at Bass Pro Shops. They are about $19.00