Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 27, 2007

Old     (waterlog)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-15-2007, 4:05 PM Reply   
are there wakeboard specific helmets or does the ordinary skate helmet suffice? Thanks :-)
Old     (sparkmonster)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-15-2007, 4:43 PM Reply   
there is the hyperlite helmets, byerly helmet, there is also some protec helmets meant for the water and people will recommend some other ones i have the protec ace wake helmet
Old     (cwb_fooguitarlz)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-15-2007, 4:49 PM Reply   
the protec ace wake helmet is the best helmet for water.

having said that, i have the Capix helmet that all the pros use and...from my experience, the only good thing about it is that it looks cool.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-15-2007, 4:49 PM Reply   
go to wakeside.com
Old     (waterlog)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-15-2007, 6:57 PM Reply   
thanks.
Old    lovein_the_wake            07-15-2007, 7:12 PM Reply   
I ordered the protec ace wake helmet after I blew my eardrum
Old     (waterlog)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-16-2007, 5:08 AM Reply   
I fractured my eardrum last summer. I've fallen a few times this year and smacked pretty good. Keep saying I rattled my brain around in my skull pretty good that time. So I sit out with a headache for a few. Thinking a helmet might be some pretty good cheap insurance.
Old     (qball)      Join Date: May 2007       07-16-2007, 5:56 AM Reply   
I was lucky enough to win a hyperlite helmet at Wakefest here in Jersey a few weeks ago. Awesome helmet and I wear it all the time now.
It is different in design to a snowboard helmet as it floats firstly and secondly it does not absorb water. Definately recommended.
Old     (mprossman)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-16-2007, 8:15 AM Reply   
i also have the ace helmet. when you are bald like I am and you smack the back of you head on the water, it feels like someone is hitting you in the head with a 2 X 4. It has saved me from countless head smacks. Now I will never ride without it. People say that they can cause more of a whiplash effect because of the surface area of the helmet, but when you hit your head on the water at 20 mph, i think you are going to bet a little whiplash regardless.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-20-2007, 8:37 AM Reply   
anyone have opinion from hyperlite to pro tec ace. I can not find a pro tec dealer in my area. But I can find dealers with the hyperlite. Are they that much different? Or not really? Anyone want to comment on this?
Old     (michelelef)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-20-2007, 7:43 PM Reply   
I have the Hyperlite Kinked helmet (that specific one is for girls so it won't do you much good). Before purchasing that one I did use my friend's protec. Hers didn't really feel much different. I only went with the Hyperlite cause my size was in stock at SOS, our local boardshop. Good luck!!
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-21-2007, 6:06 AM Reply   
I have a Schred Ready SSC and love it. Technically its a kayak helmet but it serves the same purpose. The adjustable rear support strap is sick. Plus I think the bill looks sweet :-)

(Message edited by xbones on July 21, 2007)
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-21-2007, 7:25 AM Reply   
Yup we ride and sell the Shred Ready Helmets as well, havent rung my bell since switching from Pro-Tec Wake , I still got my bell rung in the Pro-Tec, not a very good helmet IMO.
The Shred Ready were designed from the ground up for the water and the fit is the best in the Biz!!
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-21-2007, 7:30 AM Reply   
innov8, funny how you sell shred ready and not pro-tec? Wonder if your comment is biased or not? Considering most people who use the pro-tec love it, sounds like you are a douchebag.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-21-2007, 7:47 AM Reply   
No we still sell protec skate helmets, just not a fan of the Protec Ace wake, due to me and many others I ride with still getting our bell rung in the Pro-Tecs thats all.
At the end of the day its your choice on what to ride in, we just really like the shred ready helmets, they are very good!
Thats just My opinion.
Damn dude who shiat in your oatmeal?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-21-2007, 9:22 AM Reply   
Haven't had my bell rung in over two seasons in my Protec Ace Wake...
Old     (oldwakeman)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-21-2007, 9:31 AM Reply   
I have a Pro-tec for myself and a smaller one for kids who wakeboard on the boat. Got it after a few dingers and haven't had my bell rung since. There are kids who have come down head first trying a flip where the water pressure drives right through the helmet holes and people still really feel it, but I figure it would have been worse without. I make kids wear them since it is my boat, my liability, my insurance
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-22-2007, 7:12 PM Reply   
I have the byerly helmet and took a really nasty fall on Friday that scared the crap out of me. My neck is really sore but that helmet definitely, without a doubt stopped it from being a LOT worse. I've been sold on them since i first wore one and now just about anyone who rides behind my boat puts it on.
Old     (waterlog)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-22-2007, 7:28 PM Reply   
o.k. I've been checking out the "ace" helmet. Is there only one ace helmet, cause I've been seeing one as ace water/kayak and I've seen ace skate. they both look the same though. ????
Thanks for the input.
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-22-2007, 7:32 PM Reply   
Anyone ridden with the Bern Baker H20?
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-22-2007, 7:39 PM Reply   
Good ole Wake World never fails to suprise me...
By gangstar (joe_crawley) on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 7:30 am: Edit Post Delete Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Considering most people who use the pro-tec love it, sounds like you are a douchebag.

It just goes to show ya, it doesnt matter what you post, there is always a "douchebag" out there looking to rip on someone.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-23-2007, 5:28 AM Reply   
I hate to keep this post going, but thought I would put a little more "real-life experimenting" to this discussion. This weekend I road with my Pro-tec helmet. Firt it's hard to keep it tight, I had it snug, but anytime you take a good crash you need to make sure to get it snug again. That being said it was tight on two extremely hard crashes. One was a switch HS Backroll. I landed with both hands on the handle completely sideways to the boat on my front-edge. Yeah, the nasty, nasty fall. My bell was definitely rung, I was seeing stars and it was not good. Still feeling the effects of the crash today. One could argue it would have been worse without the helmet. It's possible, but hard to imagine other than being knocked out cold, which is obviously possible. Same type of crash both times.

One problem, the Pro-tec has no forehead protection whatsoever. When you get slammed face first, it doesn't really seem to do a thing for you. I assume it is best with back edge crashes and the side of the head. Now with back edge crashes you then get the extra whiplash effect going because of the extra weight and size of the helmet. I don't know, it seems to me a better design is needed.