Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-15-2010, 9:42 AM Reply   
It is a long story, but a bad service caused 5 quarts of oil to be dumped into my bilge. The people that serviced it made things right and cleaned the bilge, but did not get all the oil out. Anyone have any suggesions. I thought about putting some dish detergent in with some clean water and just let it slosh around each weekend and then drain until I am no longer seeing oil on the water coming out of the bilge.

Thanks
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-15-2010, 9:48 AM Reply   
Castrol degreaser (stuff in purple bottle) spray it around the flush it out with water thru the drain hole
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-15-2010, 9:51 AM Reply   
Bilge cleaner at West Marine or any boating store.

Last edited by rio_sanger; 06-15-2010 at 9:55 AM.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-15-2010, 1:49 PM Reply   
+1 for Castrol super clean (purple bottle)
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-15-2010, 5:19 PM Reply   
I tried all that stuff when I had an remote oil filter line go on my last boat. I must've used 25 gallons of simple green and every other product out there. I spent endless hours trying to get it clean. The problem was that all the soap did the same thing. It lifted the oil, and moved it to another spot.

I finally found the answer, and it was sooooo easy. Powdered dishwasher detergent(, a brush, and HOT water. It ended up taking me 45 min the last time, and it was spotless.

I jacked up the front of the boat on some wood, spun the leg all the way up, and pulled the plug on the back. I spayed HOT, HOT water on a low setting. I sprinkled dishwasher detergent all over, and scrubbed a little bit on stubborn areas. It was really that easy. It all ran out the back into 5 gallon buckets, which I took to the local car wash and dumped into there oil/water separator.

Nothing else even came close to working that good.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-15-2010, 8:49 PM Reply   
Ask BP
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-15-2010, 9:49 PM Reply   
I had a drip from the pan wear the dipstick meets it. I took mine to the car wash and used that degreaser from the car wash, it beat the hell outta any off the shelf product.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-16-2010, 7:12 AM Reply   
You can get absorbant mats that are made to soak up oil. You find them usually at auto part stores or industrial supply places (Grainger). Those (especially the industrial ones) will get out the majority of it with without anything else in the bilge. If they still leave a film use a degreaser or bilge cleaner and then redo it with the mats.
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       06-16-2010, 1:22 PM Reply   
simple green!
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-16-2010, 2:12 PM Reply   
Simple green worked for me and I did dawn as well. Think simple did the best job.
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-16-2010, 4:38 PM Reply   
I used "Oil Eater" degreaser got from Costco. Used with paper towels and elbow grease. If I have a dealer do an oil change now I handwrite on the work order not to drain into bilge. I also have bought an Oil pump to remove it myself if I have the time.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-16-2010, 5:50 PM Reply   
Just dump a few packs of baking soda into the bilge and use that to mop it up. Basically sucks up the oil and turns to mud, wipe it up with a paper towel, throw that into a plastic bag and you're done. Cheap and easy.

Last edited by jtnz; 06-16-2010 at 5:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-16-2010, 6:32 PM Reply   
Bildge cleaner worked one time for me, so did some citrus engine degreaser I found at autozone came in a big jug. Just for clean up every now and then I put some dawn in there and spray the mess out of it. Fill it with water then let the bilge pump get it out so it will degrease the bilge pump and hose as well. Keep doin it till no suds then pull the plug and let the rest drain.