Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (theoldman)      Join Date: Dec 2013       12-26-2013, 6:50 AM Reply   
I have not been shopping for a boat for a few years. My last boat was a 2007 Supra 24SSV. I no longer wakeboard and only wakesurf now. I am looking for a new boat and it will be a dedicated wakesurf boat as I have taken too many hard falls wakeboarding. I have done a quick search and noticed a ton of new technology. It seems like everyone has some nice options on their boats for wakesurfing. If you were looking for a new wakesurf today, what would you consider? I don't know if the 2014's have been released yet, but will probably wait to see what is coming.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       12-26-2013, 6:53 AM Reply   
do you want to run listed (traditional weighting) or flat (surf "system" like swell, surfgate, nss, etc)? Will your crew frequently switch sides? Do you have an affinity for a particular brand? What is your budget? Used or new? What dealers are nearby?
Old     (theoldman)      Join Date: Dec 2013       12-26-2013, 7:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
do you want to run listed (traditional weighting) or flat (surf "system" like swell, surfgate, nss, etc)? Will your crew frequently switch sides? Do you have an affinity for a particular brand? What is your budget? Used or new? What dealers are nearby?
It will be new for sure and will have a need to switch sides. I would like to try one of the new surf systems. I have no affinity to a certain brand and no set budget.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       12-26-2013, 7:28 AM Reply   
Centurion fx22 or fx44
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       12-26-2013, 7:43 AM Reply   
What's your tow vehicle situation?
Old     (theoldman)      Join Date: Dec 2013       12-26-2013, 8:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
What's your tow vehicle situation?
Yukon XL 6.2. I could easily tow my Supra 24 with it.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       12-26-2013, 9:21 AM Reply   
the 242 (which I think is still the same boat as the 24ssv?) is listed as 4000 lbs.

looks like that tops out at 7900 lbs for trailering, and that that's with basically only a driver and a tank of gas in the truck. Every pound you put in the truck takes away from the tow rating (GCWR = 14000).

I think that knocks the G23 (listed as 5400 + trailer, but easily approaching 8k total weight) and the fx44 (listed as 5900 + trailer, gas, gear, etc etc) out of the running.

Malibu 23lsv (4500lbs + trailer) would be worth a look. Also the new supras with swell (4200lbs + trailer).

Mastercraft is supposed to be coming out with something soon too.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-26-2013, 10:05 AM Reply   
I think you need to establish a budget. Would get a more focused response. Also if you don't mind listing a boat or want to run level.
Old     (theoldman)      Join Date: Dec 2013       12-26-2013, 10:54 AM Reply   
I really don't have a budget. I am theoldguy and can honestly buy whatever I want. I just want to make sure I am happy with whaterver I buy.
Old    rullery            12-26-2013, 11:42 AM Reply   
You'll have to decide on your preference of listing the boat vs running level. The gadgets that allow your boat to run level are convenient but the general consensus so far is the best shaped waves out there are from listed boats. You'll also need to feel out dealers that are close to you as half of your happiness will come from having a trusted and respected dealer. Also, most areas of the US do not have all the brands of boats available so you'll need to start narrowing options by finding out what is available in your area.

If you are listing look at Tige, Centurion, Supreme and MB. I'm not as familiar with the gadgets as much but I have heard the NSS on a G23 is pretty awesome and have seen guys ripping it behind Malibu's flap thing.
Old     (Griggs24)      Join Date: Oct 2013       12-26-2013, 11:54 AM Reply   
No Budget = G23 (IMO)
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       12-26-2013, 11:56 AM Reply   
Switching sides is something you want, money is not a factor, I would say start with the 3 manufacturers that have put out surf systems recently. Nautique, Malibu, Supra. Go drive all 3 and before driving find the model that suits you best. After driving all 3 brands make an informed decision and may the best boat for you win. I may get knocked for not throwing MC in there and while they build a great product and some great quality go into their boats, I just feel they are trailing on the surf market. Just my opinion don't crucify me. Definitley give the Nautique Surf System a shot, it's a clean fit and finish on the back of the boat and very functional for surfing. At the end of the day, it's what works best for you, but you have to drive them and surf them to figure that out.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       12-26-2013, 12:13 PM Reply   
no budget means just get nautique g21 or g23 depending on number of people needing to accommodate.
Old     (theoldman)      Join Date: Dec 2013       12-26-2013, 1:19 PM Reply   
Thank you everyone. This gives me a good place to start.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-26-2013, 1:31 PM Reply   
Well, if no budget is truly what is going on, you have a great problem. If the only thing you do now is wakesurf, there are a lot of options coming for 2014. I'm a Malibu guy, so while I may have some bias, I think my opinion will be pretty close to what you need to hear.

While some will say the G boats are the way to go, it is a lot to spend for a pure wakesurf boat. Not saying they are not great boats, but you can save some money. If you also wakeboarded and wanted the biggest wake as well, I'd agree with the G, but I'm not a fan of their styling, great boat, just not my cup of Tea. The NSS I do like cosmetically better than surfgate, but I have not had a chance to ride with NSS

My first choice would be the new 2014 Malibu LSV. I really like the lines, styling, and fit and finish of the redesigned boat. Surfgate is a proven technology, and will give you a pretty good wave. Not great, but you could probably play with weighting options to get it to great. If you do not need the "bling" of a Malibu, there is the A24 from Axis. Also has surfgate, huge boat, Malibu handling, and surfgate is proven to work.

Centurion has an interesting setup with ramfill and cats. I haven't heard a lot about the system, so maybe someone who has gotten to try it can chime in on it.

You have several other options from other manufacturers that have surf technology coming this year. Swell, Flow, MC surf gen2, etc. none that I can comment on as I have not had a chance to test anything else as its all just been introduced.

I'm actually looking forward to 2014 and getting to look at the other surf technology that is coming. I just ordered a 2014 VLX and have ridden surfgate on the 2013. I love the LSV, but for me, it's a lot of boat for as many a we usually have out. I do have a budget, but this will be my third vlx and I love it, just fits for my size crew and family.

Maybe those who have had a chance to view or see the new stuff coming will comment on the new stuff. A lot of videos springing up, but there's a big difference of how a wave looks in a video and if its actually rideable. Best of luck to you with your search
Old     (theoldman)      Join Date: Dec 2013       12-26-2013, 3:22 PM Reply   
The Supra SC is on the top of my list to try with the new Swell system. I had such a great experience with my 24SSV and a great dealer nearby, I would be a full not to have it at the top of my list to demo.
Old     (gibbs114)      Join Date: Oct 2013       12-26-2013, 3:30 PM Reply   
I have ridden surfgate on a Axis, NSS on a G23 and the new convex vx on a Tige Z3. Best Wave Tige if you don't have to switch sides on the go.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       12-26-2013, 3:59 PM Reply   
if I read the polar bear reviews right, the Z3 was not a clear winner there and it was put on by Tige people
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       12-26-2013, 4:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbs114 View Post
I have ridden surfgate on a Axis, NSS on a G23 and the new convex vx on a Tige Z3. Best Wave Tige if you don't have to switch sides on the go.
Tell us the noticable differences between them.
Old     (gibbs114)      Join Date: Oct 2013       12-26-2013, 5:03 PM Reply   
Tige seamed longer on goofy side with a lot of push. The Axis was shorter and still had good push. The g23 was long and clean I just didn't feel like it had the push of the Tige. That is just my opinion and don't own any of them and Im sure it has a lot to do with how each is weighted. There all better than my current a22 when it comes to surfing.
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       12-26-2013, 5:18 PM Reply   
In no particular order; '14 Malibu 23LSV w/ Surf Gate, '14 Nautique G23 w/ NSS, or Supra SC450 w/ Swell. I would give these three a hard first look.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       12-26-2013, 6:05 PM Reply   
They are all great choices. I find it funny mastercraft is never in this talk. I would own all three of them. But I own a new Axis cause I am poor.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-26-2013, 6:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezul View Post
They are all great choices. I find it funny mastercraft is never in this talk. I would own all three of them. But I own a new Axis cause I am poor.
I'd hardly say poor rolling in any new boat. The 2014 axis is an awesome boat. Even better now with the addition of surfgate, endless possibilities as they are already wake making machines!
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       12-26-2013, 7:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebrdr94 View Post
I'd hardly say poor rolling in any new boat. The 2014 axis is an awesome boat. Even better now with the addition of surfgate, endless possibilities as they are already wake making machines!
I bought mine for the wake capabilities, the surfgate is a plus. My old centurion did not clean up on the portside while wakeboarding so I made the switch to a real boat. I still lime centurion but it isnt for me.
Old     (LKASurfing)      Join Date: Nov 2011       12-27-2013, 4:56 AM Reply   
Any Enzo series, if you are looking to Surf. Although I do admire and impressed with all the new "Surf Systems" …I feel that the V Hull design has proven itself to surf without the need for an appendage on the stern of the boat. The boat itself is a Surf System.
The new Ram Fill is absolutely impressive, especially the new FX44, I just surfed this boat last week & it is hands down the best wake I have seen for a factory wake, especially one that only takes about 45 seconds to create. Both sides were incredible.

You should at least demo one of these boats…Actually, you should SURF ANY boat you want to look at!

Good Luck!
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       12-27-2013, 5:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezul View Post
An X30 can certainly hold its own with any of the boats mentioned in this thread. IF you are ok with listing the boat..... Jussayin
Old    SMDFSRK            12-27-2013, 6:04 AM Reply   
Deep-V features a hull (dead rise)that extends to the transom (or rear) of the boat = GREAT! (Centurion, Supreme, MB)

Convex -V hull (dead rise) that flattens out at the rear of the boat and transitions up allowing the rear of the boat to sink deeper in the water in conjunction with the TAPS plate = Good! (Tig-ugh)

V-Hull thatthe dead rise flattens out at the transom (or rear) of the boat = Acceptable. ( Everyone else who attached devices to the transom of the boat to "create" a "surfable wave"

Do yourself a favor and TEST DRIVE/RIDE each of them.. It seems to me, due to your unlimited budged you should be testing the FX44, G23, and 23 LSV for comparisons sake, I wouldn't discount the Supreme V226 either, but it certainly doesn't have the fit and finish or amenities as the other boats.. Shoot me a message if you want some more information. I'd be happy to explain in more detail the benefits and advantages of each. Hopefully help you make a well informed purchase or decision of which boat you really want to test.

Last edited by SMDFSRK; 12-27-2013 at 6:06 AM.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-27-2013, 6:11 AM Reply   
Sounds like you have a good dilemma to be in!!! I am pretty stoked on the new Supra SC surf system and just put down a deposit on one. Check them all out and see what suits you and your family the best. As you probably know a good dealer can make or break you boat experience and you mentioned you were happy with your local supra dealer. Start there and see where it takes you .good luck!
Old    rullery            12-27-2013, 7:23 AM Reply   
Has anyone here surfed the Supra system yet?
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-27-2013, 7:28 PM Reply   
After surfing behind several different boats at the Polar Bear events and riding behind friends boats, my favorite wave so far is the G23. I rode it at a demo last summer and couldn't believe how much fun it was. I am not an expert surfer but I love to get out there and ride hard. This wave just seemed to suit me. The shape of it reminded me of a bowl or a half pipe. I couldn't get over how far back I could easily surf and recover from. The wave felt so much different under my feet, than the Tige, Supreme, Centurion, Mastercraft, Sanger and Supra waves that I have surfed. I am always happy to wakesurf on any wave that I get a chance to ride but if I had an unlimited budget I would get the G23.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       12-27-2013, 9:39 PM Reply   
I would give the FX-44 a look...
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       12-30-2013, 8:52 PM Reply   
Go look at a Mastercraft. Second best selling boat behind Malibu (only second because they are much expensive and exclusive (read: better)). As an old guy with lots of $$$ the best way to bring the girls to the yard is with a Mastercraft, but really it should be called a tuna trawler cause the squid (ladies) will be coming in schools to ride on your dolphin dingy. Every Mastercraft comes straight from the factory with an original build sheet in the glove box with the "sexified" checked on the option list and a stick so you can beat the swarming deck fluff away at the launch.
Old    SMDFSRK            12-31-2013, 8:23 AM Reply   
Need a kleenex or have you got a sock handy after that?
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       12-31-2013, 9:16 AM Reply   
Jet,

I feel really dirty after having read that post, but it was amusing to say the least.

Honestly look at the 23lsv, Supra SC, g23, and Mastercraft XSomething with 2gen tabs.
Old    SMDFSRK            12-31-2013, 10:21 AM Reply   
If you're looking for the biggest baddest SURF boat, for predominantly SURFING, as the title would suggest ("WakeSURF boat questions") and you do not test drive/surf a Centurion FX44 or SV244 with CATS and RAMFILL you are selling yourself short. I GUARANTEE if you get in one and you're really about the surf wave you will buy one. Nothing else comes close. Period.

Ask the guys that surfed that G23 at the WWSC stop in Minneapolis how the G23 surfed? Want to surf a Malibu and have it evenly weighted as the dealer will have you believe is possible, to create a monster surf wave. GOOD luck! You'll need another 750lbs on the seat. Mastercraft, a surf boat?

I would be interested to hear how the Swell system is. I do find Supras to be attractive, well built boats. I have a hard time believing a boat that has a dead rise as flat as a Jon boat would do anything more than throw a wake that's nice when you're tired of wakeboarding though. Which is fine, if you bought the boat for predominantly wakeboarding and surfing is an after thought.
Old    rullery            12-31-2013, 12:14 PM Reply   
yo SMFDRK, I asked a few riders at the 10K lakes surf thing about the G23 wake and they all said it was great. Not a scientific sample, but just sayin.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       12-31-2013, 1:40 PM Reply   
you guys are crazy if you think the OP's 6.2L yukon is going to tow any of the new generation of mega boats. He doesn't have the tow vehicle for the big dogs.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       12-31-2013, 2:04 PM Reply   
Op needs a HD Denali Duramax 3500 with a babe magnet in the glovebox and an air freshener hanging from the rearview mirror in the shape of flower's stamen in the scent of "Slug Factory...", as in, there will be a plethora of snail trails leading directly to the GMC/Mastercraft combo more apt to be described as a squish convention center. The guttural roar of the Duramax coupled with the 7.4 Ilmor's pleasure howl will certainly incite the crankage of passion wheels and will unquestionably put some dew down on the lillies in both the metaphorical sense and the literal sense as the mere awesomeness of said combo will cause the heavens and their moisture-rich clouds to tumble down to earth...
Old    SMDFSRK            12-31-2013, 2:11 PM Reply   
I meant it metaphorically. People won't say things like that to just some random dude. No way in hell. These guys and gals are looking for sponsors to make a little coin to cover their travel costs if they're attending numerous events. If they're not attending multiple events then what do those riders have to compare to? I know the people who've attended multiple events have a broad spectrum of boats and different wakes, as well as say, day 1 vs. day two setup on brands a., b., and c. to reference. I have a pretty good grasp of what people who are into more surf oriented boats are looking for.
Old    SMDFSRK            12-31-2013, 2:13 PM Reply   
JetRanger,

Nice.
Old    rullery            12-31-2013, 2:30 PM Reply   
Not a random dude as i know them personally, and they already have sponsors. but whatever not worth getting into
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       01-01-2014, 9:49 PM Reply   
Where did the Op go?
Old    SMDFSRK            01-01-2014, 9:52 PM Reply   
He is "theoldman", he may have croaked.
Old     (theoldman)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-02-2014, 5:51 AM Reply   
Nope, still here.

Not worried about towing as I have a covered boat lift on the lake.

I will try some different models out come Spring.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-02-2014, 5:59 AM Reply   
What's your lift rated for?
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       01-02-2014, 6:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetRanger View Post
Op needs a HD Denali Duramax 3500 with a babe magnet in the glovebox and an air freshener hanging from the rearview mirror in the shape of flower's stamen in the scent of "Slug Factory...", as in, there will be a plethora of snail trails leading directly to the GMC/Mastercraft combo more apt to be described as a squish convention center. The guttural roar of the Duramax coupled with the 7.4 Ilmor's pleasure howl will certainly incite the crankage of passion wheels and will unquestionably put some dew down on the lillies in both the metaphorical sense and the literal sense as the mere awesomeness of said combo will cause the heavens and their moisture-rich clouds to tumble down to earth...

At least we can count on Jet to bring the laughs to an otherwise failed thread.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       01-02-2014, 9:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldman View Post
Nope, still here.

Not worried about towing as I have a covered boat lift on the lake.

I will try some different models out come Spring.
Yeah so looks like you'll be looking at Mastercraft exclusively now? Good decision.
Old     (theoldman)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-02-2014, 1:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
What's your lift rated for?
10K. I have two motors on the lift and each are rated for 10K.
Old     (theoldman)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-02-2014, 1:52 PM Reply   
Not worried about picking up women on the boat. Happily married! Now my son on the other hand
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       01-02-2014, 3:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldman View Post
Not worried about picking up women on the boat. Happily married! Now my son on the other hand
All good, even married men benefit from the tang tanker! When your wife sees your new Denali/XStar combo roll up the drive it will be salamander soup if you know what I mean. Let's just say it will put the purr back in the kitten!

Now for your son...trolling the lake for gull will be easy now, like shooting fish in a barrel! Your son can pop the collar of his baby blue polo and pop some bottles over the ice with his old mans $$$ blowing up his wallet. Your son will know exactly what the fox says because your pad will become a fox den with wall to wall vixen clamouring for a ride to the lake in the new sex ship. Your son will give more rides than Carnival Cruise Lines in his old man's Mastercraft.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       01-02-2014, 3:11 PM Reply   
I need a smoke...!
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-02-2014, 4:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetRanger View Post
All good, even married men benefit from the tang tanker! When your wife sees your new Denali/XStar combo roll up the drive it will be salamander soup if you know what I mean. Let's just say it will put the purr back in the kitten!

Now for your son...trolling the lake for gull will be easy now, like shooting fish in a barrel! Your son can pop the collar of his baby blue polo and pop some bottles over the ice with his old mans $$$ blowing up his wallet. Your son will know exactly what the fox says because your pad will become a fox den with wall to wall vixen clamouring for a ride to the lake in the new sex ship. Your son will give more rides than Carnival Cruise Lines in his old man's Mastercraft.
hahahaha classic!