Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-28-2013, 2:49 PM Reply   
So it looks like my dripless shaft seal aint dripless no mo!!!
Guess I need to remove the collar off the shaft with a puller or something......My question is....How do I then put it back on the shaft? Press it on again? Is there a set screw to hold it?

I am thinking of tackling this job next weekend on my 07 Moomba LSV..........any tips!!!!!

Thanks folks......
Old     (mro)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-28-2013, 5:20 PM Reply   
I don't know anything about dripless assemblies, or why you have to take the shaft out to replace it, but i can tell you about installing couplers on shafts.
Putting that coupler back on is alot harder than taking it off - its a very tight fit. Without taking too much stuff off your boat like the entire v-drive, this may work for you....
Use a gear puller to take it off. easy. Done in 10 minutes. Putting it back on is going to take 2 people - one at each end of the shaft.
There won't be any way to press or hammer it back on, cause you'll be underneath the vdrive with no room to swing a hammer more than a couple inches. So get a small block of wood not more than an inch thick. place this against the vdrive half of the coupler. Line up the unassembled coupler against this block, and hold the shaft in position while somebody taps the shaft from underneath the boat. Of course with another block of wood. If you have a freezer big enough, put the shaft in there for 6 hours. You can also heat up the coupler in an oven. If you do these 2 things you can tap the shaft back in like butter. If you use no heat or freezing, you'll just have to give the shaft a whack as opposed to a tap. You can also use penetrating oil or KY to help it slip on a little easier.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-28-2013, 5:56 PM Reply   
http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.p...-seal-install/
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-28-2013, 9:06 PM Reply   
I recently took my shaft coupler off and replaced the drip less packing gland I broke being a hammer head. So first you will need to remove the coupler. You can use a few bolts and a socket to press the coupler off the shaft. You get a socket that's the same size as the shaft and use that as the press you get longer bolts and just sandwich the socket between the coupler and the transmission.

Now once you have your coupler off replace your drop less packing.

If your shaft is a standard key way non tapered
Shaft you can install it this way.

Take a solo cup. Cut a hole in the side if it so you can slide the solo cup onto the shaft. Fill the cup with ice. Get the shaft ice cold.

Take a pair of vice grips and clamp onto the coupler at a angle that will allow you to use it as a handle when installing the coupler OR get some heavy duty fire gloves.

Then get a bottle of Map gas or propane Map gas gets much hotter.
Heat up the coupler till that sucker is almost glowing. It shouldn't take long
Less than 5 mins. If its so hot all the paint is burnt off it then your good to go!!

Once you got the coupler hot it will slide right on no problem. You will have a second or 2 b4 it cools down and sticks .

Just protect yourself the coupler and the vice grip holding it will be VERY hot and it will burn you and anything it touches so just be careful and wear protection.
Old     (matt_beck)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-29-2013, 6:45 AM Reply   
Not that I don't want to do it but I don't want to do it. Any suggestions near Chicago or Milwaukee? 2007 Supreme V220.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-29-2013, 9:01 AM Reply   
Sounds a bit challenging.....lol
So just a thought....but is it possible to pull the tranny and just pull the shaft and coupler into the cabin of the boat and out? Then you wouldnt have to pull the cuopler....just replace the tranny seal........or would that be more of a pain????

Am I making this harder then it is?????
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-29-2013, 9:23 AM Reply   
I think the fuel tank is in the way.
Old    9Drozd            04-29-2013, 3:44 PM Reply   
I would start out pulling the prop, loosening the collar on the dripless, unbolting the coupler, and sliding the shaft back far enough to make sure the shaft doesn't have a nut on the inside of the coupler (Note: spray some silicone spray on the shaft in and above the strut to help aid in the shaft sliding in and out) . Some shafts do, so it doesn't hurt to check. Bolt the coupler back up and I've always used a shaft puller to pull the shafts out so i cannot help you there. You don't have to pull the shaft out very far, just enough to that you can pull the old shaft seal off and install the new one. Then make sure your keyways in and have another person put a block of wood on the end of the shaft and hammer it back in from the outside while you guide it into the coupler. Once in and bolted up follow the seal manufacturers specs on how to properly set the seal. Then your done.

Last edited by 9Drozd; 04-29-2013 at 3:47 PM.
Old     (mro)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-01-2013, 8:18 AM Reply   
Theres no real rocket science involved in this. But its a good skill to have. One day you may need to fix a bent shaft and a dealer might tell you he can't look at it for 6 weeks, and then he orders the wrong parts, and it takes another 3 weeks on top of it all. You can save yourself $$$ and possibly a summer
Old     (matt_beck)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-01-2013, 9:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mro View Post
Theres no real rocket science involved in this. But its a good skill to have. One day you may need to fix a bent shaft and a dealer might tell you he can't look at it for 6 weeks, and then he orders the wrong parts, and it takes another 3 weeks on top of it all. You can save yourself $$$ and possibly a summer
My problem is the hard tanks that can't be removed unless cut out. No room.