Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old    damnation            07-23-2003, 11:03 AM Reply   
OK guys, where do you put your boards when towing with a V-Drive. I used to wedge them against the motobox in my D-drive, but now that I have a VLX I can't find anywhere that I feel is safe from them blowing out. I've thought about installing some hooks inside the boat for bungees, but really don't want to do that if possible.

I'm getting really tired of using my board bag and installing and removing my bindings all the time.

Thanks!
Old    tommyadrian5            07-23-2003, 11:10 AM Reply   
I don't really know, but if you can get them to sit flat on the floor they shouldn't go anywhere. Or if you have removable board racks just strap two boards to the rack and put the whole on the floor then they definately won't go anywhere. my $.02
Old     (johns)      Join Date: Sep 2000       07-23-2003, 11:24 AM Reply   
I have an 02' Super Air(some say it has the smallest storage of most boats)I put my Prodigy 140 and wife'smotive 134 in the rear lockers and about 6 life jackets. In the rear storage on top the wedge tanks. If I have to carry mor than 2 boards we just put them on the floor while traveling. I drive 70 to 80mhp and have never had a board blow out.
Old     (bigjackamo)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-23-2003, 11:39 AM Reply   
I'm with John, according to 'GreatDane' the Malibu is the ultimate boat. Do you mean that you can't get a board in the rear trunks? I thought the Malibu's offered the most storage. Not knocking your boat hear or anything, but this is the first I've heard of this. Being able to store boards in the trunk far outweights any deficiencies of the clamshell observers seat.
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-23-2003, 11:45 AM Reply   
I have a 2001 Super Air and I store two boards in the rear compartment while towing. The 2001 is not described as having board storage by most dealers but I fit a 134 and my son's 124 in there fine. Not sure how much larger of a board would fit in there though.
Old    damnation            07-23-2003, 11:55 AM Reply   
Well, I have only tried once to fit boards in my rear storage (only briefly) and they didn't fit too well. The big problem here is that I usually use up most of the rear storage b/c I have a rather large sub box in the observer's compartment. I usually take at least four boards with me (one of which is a 142), so they certainly won't all fit in the rear storage with bindings on.

I think the suggestion about removing the racks and placing them and the boards in the floor is a good idea.

My original thought was to place one eye hook on either side of the floor and run bungees over the boards.

I just have a phobia about a board flying out and going through someone's windshield at 70 mph. It would be a strong case for negligence if someone were to get hurt.

Thanks guys!
Old    pauliej            07-23-2003, 12:30 PM Reply   
I've got a '98 super sport with the factory ballast tanks in the back (non-wedge ones that were out at the time) and it definitely can fit boards in the rear trunks. I usually put 2 boards (one of which is a 141) on the side without the battery & hydraulic cylinder for the hatch.
Old    wyldsilas            07-23-2003, 12:53 PM Reply   
Why not just leave the racks on the tower. I always put the boards in the racks while towing. I've never had a problem.
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-23-2003, 12:56 PM Reply   
That was my main complaint with most of the new V-drives. Not just towing but if you moor your boat we also put boards and such in the trunk and lock them.

This is what we store in the trunk of our Calabria Pro-V

1 SkySki
5 wakeboards any size
1 Wakeskate
7 vests
2 helmets
three ropes
tool box
and some misc stuff.
Plus there is still room.

A landlock also fits.

www.Wake-Me.com
Old    sickboy            07-23-2003, 1:51 PM Reply   
If I can't put the boards in my tahoe for whatever reason, I just take a dock line and run it through each of the bindings, and tie it off on the steering wheel.

I lost a board out of the back of my boat once, $600 mistake, won't let it happen again...

mb
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-23-2003, 9:12 PM Reply   
Like Wyld said, Why not leave them on the tower. I've been doing it for 3 years and haven't had a problem either. Also, lot's of storage in the lockers on a V drive. I have 4 boards on the tower 2 in the locker along with 2 slalom skis, combo skis, kneeboard, an anchor, lot's of vests and room to spare.
Old    steveaz            07-24-2003, 12:04 AM Reply   
Phil, you obviously haven't read many of Dane's posts. He's just as critical of the VLX as he is the Nautique.

Dave, I often have my boards in the boat. As a matter of fact they rode on the floor of the boat for over 2k miles when we went to Shasta. I just put the walkthru divider in and latched the walkthru window. All the wind is then deflected up the windshield and over the boat....no problems.

Now leaving them on the tower.....that worries me. Ever read any of the stories about peoples racks falling off and ending up at the bottom of the lake...hmmmmm

Old    boardjockey            07-24-2003, 4:27 AM Reply   
after-market luggage/cargo net might work
Old    boardjockey            07-24-2003, 4:30 AM Reply   
dave,

just looked a your profile

think you've got enough board racks? :-)
Old    hockeyruss            07-24-2003, 5:24 AM Reply   
With the wind deflector up and the windshield closed, you can tow with your board on the floor. I do it all the time, down the highway at speeds around 70mph. Do not try this without the wind block!!!!!
Old    hlboatsnboards            07-24-2003, 5:44 AM Reply   
I thought about putting boards on the floor, but ever worry about them sliding around and damaging something ie:gelcoat, seats? I like the reat storage idea or even leaving them in the board racks. Altho, there was a guy awhile back on here that left his in the racks and got a ticket b/c his boat was over the legal width limit with the racks. Always a catch somewhere.

Bill
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       07-24-2003, 7:47 AM Reply   
Maybe you can find those spider web bungee nets. The ones made for a pickup bed to keep stuff from flying out. You can probably find enough areas to secure it to on the boat, from steering wheel, tower, or cleats etc. Not sure if it would work, but might be worth trying it out.

Cheers
Old    damnation            07-24-2003, 7:59 AM Reply   
I have been thinking about the spider net thing. I think what I'm going to do is get one for the truck and just put the boards in the bed. There is something unsettling about leaving the boards free in the floor of the boat. As mentioned above, one person has already lost one, and as Bill mentioned, they may slide around and bang against things. The cargo net in the bed should keep them from moving b/c I have tie downs on the lower section of the bed. Besides, tieing the cargo net to several spots in the boat sounds like just as much work as using my board bag.

Rick, everyone is giving me hell for the boardracks. Would you turn down free board racks? Besides, I really like the racks on the gunwales. I remember last year at the lake Anna tournament (in my Sunsetter) I had 8 people in the boat and about 10 boards and skates. I only had rack space for four boards, so you can imagine how uncomfortable that was. How is the knee doing?
Old    k2rider            07-24-2003, 9:26 AM Reply   
I have a VLX and have no problem putting 2 boards on the rear storage. I have a 140 Premier and a 119 Motive back there with several vests and a rope.
Old    damnation            07-24-2003, 10:00 AM Reply   
Yeah, but can you fit four to six boards with bindings, a few wakeskates, a bunch of fat sacks, handles, ropes, about 8-10 vests, a throwable PFD, a plastic tarp, and various other items back there? Even if I could I would spend 30 minutes packing it all in there just right.

Thanks for all of your opinions.
Old    boardjockey            07-24-2003, 10:40 AM Reply   
Doubt I’d pass on free racks either. Knee is ok, thanks for asking. Toe-side landings irritate it more so mostly doing heel w2w. I’ll get the acl surgery this Oct.

Has your hip completely healed?
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-24-2003, 11:16 AM Reply   
To the Dane Bashers...

OK, the SAN stows two boards will in tow better than other v-drives. Yes, the wedge tanks have some purpose - they optimize your towing experience OVER your riding experience.

Me, I would rather have large flat tanks that hold sacks and gear better while riding. But, you SAN owners can feel good about it!

Stowage of two boards while towing is nice but not the end all be all.

Put a peg board in the back of your truck or SUV or on the floor of the VLX. If they are outside you may also want to lock them in with a cable lock to avoid flight and theft.
Old    damnation            07-24-2003, 11:31 AM Reply   
Hip isn't healed completely and likely never will be. Toeside stuff hurts me too, but I'm working on it and dealing with the pain and the stiffness thereafter. Good luck with the surgery!

Dane, pegboard? Could you elaborate (I need a mental image for this one). I thought about making a rack to go in the back of the truck, but I don't feel like taking it out all the time.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-24-2003, 11:59 AM Reply   
Ya, some form of a board rack.

Remember the spring loaded ski-boot carriers?
Maybe someone should make a similar thing for carrying and locking pairs of wakeboards together.
It would also be cool if a board/bar on a wall in the garage or a board/bar in your truck would accept these.
Old    samills            07-24-2003, 10:10 PM Reply   
I guess I am a bad boat owner but I just set them on the rear and side seats in my boat. I haven't lost one yet. The wind shield of the boat blocks about 70 percent of the wind.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-24-2003, 11:02 PM Reply   
i put my sons across the front seat(upside down), close the walkthru door and windshield put jackets on the floor and boards on jackets so they dont slide around, havent lost on yet and the door has come open in the past, this is at 60mph and i think my i/o is a bit deeper then alot of board boats with their low gunnels
Old     (whit)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-25-2003, 12:12 AM Reply   
Leave the boards in the racks. The racks work just fine when the boat is one the water. What is different about the road? You might be going faster but hopefully your not hitting bumps like the double up.

The boards suffer from more UV damage, but I've never had a board fly off the rack in three years.

I used to keep my boards in the truck. But I started thinking--if an accident occured, do I really want the boards flying around the inside of the truck. Where on the boat is the best place for the boards--where they wouldn't fly around if the something bad happened--board racks come to mind...
Old    hockeyruss            07-25-2003, 4:57 AM Reply   
Hey Whit it is about time you renew the ride isn't it? How bout one of them fancy pickle forked deck stars? You gonna pull the trigger any time soon?
Old    debsxstar            07-25-2003, 7:07 AM Reply   
I just put the boards on the floor of the boat with window closed and wind deflector snapped on. Boards have never blown out of my boat. I was using the board racks but them someone posted concerns about safety so i stopped doing this but maube it's ok?? i strap it on real good. I also tpw with a converson van so plenty of room to put the boards way in the back of the van.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-31-2003, 5:36 AM Reply   
what are the loads on the forks with 65 mph winds compared to 30 mph winds??
Old    damnation            07-31-2003, 5:43 AM Reply   
A lot I bet. I trailered my boat for the first time this past weekend with the boards in the racks. It did ok, but it was just through town going 45 mph at most. One concern I had was that I noticed a lot of people checking out the boards instead of paying attention to where they were going. A couple of them almost swerved into my boat !

I don't think I will be trailering with the boards in the racks on the interstate though.