Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old    kilg78            08-15-2003, 8:08 AM Reply   
I have a killer system in my '00 Nautique, but I still have the original Clarion CD deck running it all. It skips like crazy on any burned CDs. What is the best MP3 player w/ remote that will fit the original space? I don't want to have to take the whole boat apart...
Old     (whit)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-15-2003, 5:43 PM Reply   
I'm wanting to add an MP3 player to my new boat as well. I saw a review of an MP3 player that was basically a hard drive and a wireless connection. The player would connect to a standard car stereo and came with a remote to control song selection. The cool thing about the device was how you got the songs to and from the car. The device used the wireless link to establish a connection with your home network when the car/boat was in the garage. Music and playlists would be set up on your main computer and sent to MP3 player in car/boat.

Sure do wish I was paying better attention and remembered a name. But I'm looking for a good player too. If all else fails the I-Pod looks like a slick way to go.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-15-2003, 6:23 PM Reply   
Whit, I bought an iPod and an FM modulator that connects to the headphone jack. I can then just "broadcast" from the iPod on FM and use the boat stereo tuner. It works really well and I use the remote for the iPod to control the music selection. Very nice, but not cheap.
Old    hyperryd            08-16-2003, 9:32 PM Reply   
I am running the Sony CDX-M850MP along with the CDX-757MX 10 disk MP3 changer. The deck does a fair job on playback, but the changer has a 12 second buffer so it never and I mean never skips. 10 disks with over 150 songs each means you never have to carry extra cds with you.
Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-16-2003, 9:49 PM Reply   
I spent my first full day on the water with my new Sony CDX-MP40. I couldn't be happier. The water was very rough. I had (maybe) three skips all day. Not bad. Great remote, and not too expensive...
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-16-2003, 11:43 PM Reply   
Just use an old laptop with a big hard drive. I have a Nomad Jukebox but rarely use it because I like the dj software available for computers waaay better. Connect it with a transmitter like the Gruv X (http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10334637) or if you want your friends in the immediate proximity to enjoy your mp3s as well use a low power FM transmitter(http://www.hobbytron.net/R-FM25.html).
Old    kilg78            08-19-2003, 9:08 AM Reply   
BT - Do you have a Nautique? I would like to find the MP3 player with the longest buffer, and still fits in the factory slot. I'm not a stereo genius, and I would prefer to have as little headache on installation as possible...
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-19-2003, 12:35 PM Reply   
No to throw off the subject, but Kent if you have a Clarion XMD-1, you may want to try slowing down the record speed of burned CD-R's. I had the same problem with my factory Clarion head unit when I burned them at 40X. Someone (thanks Barry) suggested slowing the recording speed down to like half of the speed. I changed it to 16X and they work great. You may want to try that........even though having a mp3 player would be great as well.

Good luck.
Old    hyperryd            08-19-2003, 4:52 PM Reply   
Store up to 165hrs of music without skiping. Put it in a nice marine cover in the factory hole.http://www.xplodsony.com/products/?CATEGORY=CD&MD=MEX-1HD
Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-19-2003, 7:46 PM Reply   
Kent,

The Sony CDX-MP40 is a standard single DIN unit. I believe the Clarion units are single DIN with an oversized face. Unless your Nautique is unusual, the MP40 should fit fine...
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-20-2003, 8:26 AM Reply   
Step up a model or two and get the Sony MP70. It has the G shock cd player and absolutely will not skip a cd, no matter how rough it is. You can do MP3, CD, and XM on the unit. You can get them on eBay for $250.
Old    kilg78            08-20-2003, 8:58 AM Reply   
Nice! Thanks for all of the ideas!

Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-20-2003, 9:58 AM Reply   
Early this year I spent much time looking for MP3 capable head units. My criteria included: 1)display clearly visible in bright sunlight, 2) MP3, 3) good anti skip.
A friend was successful with a Sony MDX MP70. The display was an awsome LCD with diferent colors and contrast control. MP3, and Sony G shock anti skip. (Most displays are LED and get washed out in bright sun)
None of the other head units available at the time (of quality, i.e. Alpine, Kenwood) could match all 3.
I picked up the '03 version, MP80 (same as MP70 but has black faceplate)and installed in my '00 Centurion Elite V-drive factory location.
This unit has worked flawlessly once I changed the install angle to within the Sony spec. of <30 degrees. Original mount angle is about 45 and yes it matters.
Some would consider using a changer, these units definetly offer the best in anti skip. If I were to go this route I don't think I would need MP3 capability but would still be nice. Going the changer route affords you the luxury of getting a lower end head unit.
Old     (ronnie)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-20-2003, 10:29 AM Reply   
Aren't there are more differences on the MP70 And MP80 than the face plate. I think the MP80 has 4volt preouts and the MP70 is XM ready.
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-20-2003, 11:35 AM Reply   
Yes, the MP80 is a 4V preout, so if you have some nice amps you are using, go with the MP80. You can still use XM on the MP80 eventhough it doesn't say it will work.