Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-12-2003, 6:59 AM Reply   
Recently I had a chance to ride in my friend's 2003 Super Air. A really nice boat, great wake. My friend pointed out that the sides of his hull had stress cracks in an arched pattern and covered about an 8 - 10 foot area. Is this an isolated case or is this a common problem? I would expect better from a boat that retails for $60,000 +.
I inspected my boat for stress cracks, it is 3 years old & 250 hours and has no cracks.
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       07-12-2003, 11:09 AM Reply   
that should definatley be covered under warranty
Old    danp            07-14-2003, 8:33 AM Reply   
I don't belive it, a problem with a SAN? I was sure these kinds of things only happened to Sangers, Supremes, Centurions, Moombas, or maybe a MasterCraft. But never, never, I mean never to a SAN.

Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-14-2003, 10:12 AM Reply   
I am interested to see how CC will handle it. Any boat can have a problem. But it is how they respond to a problem that is really important. If they have to keep the boat for any length of time I hope that give him a loaner or better yet, since the boat is so new, just give him another boat.
Old    leftcoastpunk            07-14-2003, 1:29 PM Reply   
Ya it will be interesting to see how it turns out. Hey Greg keep us posted.
Old    debsxstar            07-14-2003, 2:49 PM Reply   
I have an 02 Xstar and i also have stress cracks around my tower. I have a 3 year warranty with MC and they told me to bring it in at the end of the season and they will take care of it. Just like someone else said...things can and will go wrong sometimes but what counts is how the dealership deals with it. I think what happened was the tower worked its' way loose so there was vibration and this caused extra stress on the gel coat. I have learned how to tighten the bolts on the tower now so shouldn't be a problem. It has never become loose again but just in case I keep the right size wrenches on the boat.
Old    chip_boarder            07-15-2003, 12:37 PM Reply   
I have a 03 Moomba with 2 stress cracks. It seems to be a problem with a lot of boats. It is covered under warranty and will be fixed at the end of the season. I was told by someone that the high gloss finishs are more brittle than the low gloss.
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-15-2003, 2:27 PM Reply   
I'm not talking about a couple of cracks. We are talking about 50 - 100 small cracks in 8 - 10 ft. area.
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       07-15-2003, 2:35 PM Reply   
hey debbie, doesn't your mastercraft have a lifetime warranty on the hull and gelcoat?
Old    debsxstar            07-15-2003, 4:39 PM Reply   
Ryan, I/m not sure....I have to check into it. i think the hull has a lifetime but probably not the gel coast because that is strickly cosmetic.
Old    debsxstar            07-15-2003, 4:46 PM Reply   
Greg, 50 to 100 cracks? Wow! What's up with that? I'm talking a few cracks on each side of the boat close to where the tower bolts down. I think my tower became loose and I was out in Mohave and the water was chopping so it was a rough ride with a semi loose tower. This equals stree cracks.
Old    whitechocolate            07-15-2003, 4:52 PM Reply   
Greg : This sound like Bull S" Why don't you post some photos of what your talking about.
Old    hlboatsnboards            07-15-2003, 6:01 PM Reply   
Ya really think greg is lying about this???

Old    whitechocolate            07-15-2003, 6:17 PM Reply   
I would like to see what Gregg is talking about Because from the post it sound's "Un-clear". First off he say's. "There are stress cracks in the hull?? The Hull is a 21 foot aera. Would you mind breaking it down for us? I have never heard of stress cracks in the hull of newer Nautiques, That dosen't meant that there not there! But you know what they say A photo says a Thousand words I have heard of stress cracks on a deck. But not on the newer boat's,
Old    hlboatsnboards            07-15-2003, 6:39 PM Reply   
Gregg....care to elaborate!?!?

Oh and check your email too!! See ya soon!!!

B
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-15-2003, 10:31 PM Reply   
Greg,

You said "I'm not talking about a couple of cracks. We are talking about 50 - 100 small cracks in 8 - 10 ft. area"

This is a HUGE area for stress cracks. Towers will cause a few small cracks that radiate from the bolt holes in rare cases but your talking a massive area. Post some pics and answer some questions?

Where are they on the boat?
When did they develop?
Are they getting worse?
Are they anywere else on the boat?

Sounds like something hit your boat in this area or there was a major problem between when they sprayed the gelcoat into the mold and when they started laying up the cloth and mat.

Bill
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-16-2003, 5:26 AM Reply   
The boat is 500 miles away from me. I got to ride with him on vacation. The cracks are not from the tower, my friend says they are from hitting the double up. The cracks are in an arched pattern starting under the windsheild area and travel up in an arched pattern and back down to the storage area in the back. The cracks are primarily on the left side of the boat. There are no other cracks that I noticed, in fact, I would have never noticed these if he hadn't pointed them out.

My original question was, "is this an isolated case?" I have never seen this before. I wanted to know if wakeboard boats (weighted boats) are prone to these types of cracks. Could it come from too much weight in the bow and stern and none in the middle? If so, spreading the weight evenly in the boat becomes an even more important issue.

I would not have been surprised to see this in a runabout or an older ski boat ( they were designed without considering that the owners would want to add ballast)
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-17-2003, 4:46 PM Reply   
My 94 Nautique was not designed for a tower or Double ups with 2000 lbs of ballast. It now has 1050 hours and not one single gel coat crack of any kind anywhere on the boat.
Old    whitechocolate            07-17-2003, 6:42 PM Reply   
I guess We are Never goanna See these crack's Greg talked all that Shizzle about????
Old    hlboatsnboards            07-17-2003, 8:54 PM Reply   
Grant, why are you so skeptical about the cracks? It could happen on any boat. May just be a flaw from when the gelcoat was sprayed. I see it boats a lot...hard telling what it is from. Doesn't sound like tower problems if it spreads that far, maybe something else going on there. I know Gregg, he is a great guy...no reason to lie about something so petty.

Bill
Old     (bog)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-18-2003, 7:20 AM Reply   
grant is right, nothing bad could ever happen to a SAN
Old     (eljefepequeno)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-18-2003, 9:19 AM Reply   
Hey Bog, Grant never said that nothing bad could ever happen to a SAN. Why put words in his mouth?

To answer your question Greg, I have never heard of a SAN with stress cracks like you have described, and I have been in somewhat competitive waterski/wakeboard for 15 years. In my opinion and from my experience, I would say that was an isolated case, and am quite surprised CC's quality control would release a boat that would be susceptable to cracks like that. Which brings me to the point as to why most Nautique owners who have experience with Nautiques are so skeptical. We have never heard of something like this before, at least I haven't. Could it happen, sure it could, like Bill outlines above, have I seen it before, no. You are the first person I know who has seen it on a Nautique before that was caused by Double-ups and normal wakeboarding conditions.

So, please be sure to let us know how CC handles those stress cracks like the ones you have described above. I am sure you will be quite impressed. Also, if you have the opportunity to post pics of the cracks, please do so all can see.
Old    whitechocolate            07-18-2003, 12:12 PM Reply   
It was funny Gregg asked a question that I think he already new the answer to! If Suposedly what happend to his boat happend to other's It would be all over the place, And we all know it. It seems like people are so Looking for flaw's in the Nautiques to talk Shizzle. Why??? Are they trying to make them self's feel good for not owning one??? Hater's I dont know. It just didn't sound right & That's why I questioned it??? Im not saying it never happpend or that they are flawless, But if your gonna Ask a question it would be nice to have somthing to back up your clame. Bill how would thin's sound to you > I was out on my friend's CALABRIA this weekend and while riding the boat broke in Half and sank, Killing everone on-board execpt for myself. Is this somthing that happens to all Calabria's or just the one I was out on! I would expect more from a $40,000.00 boat
Old    hlboatsnboards            07-18-2003, 7:58 PM Reply   
No need to get hostile...I just personally know Greg and he is a super chill guy that couldn't give two poops about this boat that or whatever everyone always cries about on here. He saw a boat, it happened to be a Nautique, whooopie...WHO CARES!!!!

B
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-18-2003, 8:40 PM Reply   
I have absolutely NOTHING against CC. I love their boats. I would not expect cracks in a new boat whether it be CC, Mastercraft, Tige ,Malibu, Calabria, Supra, Moomba, Centurion or what ever Wakeboard boat. This one just happen to be a CC, that's all.

Doesn't it even make you think twice about loading the bow with ballast if cracking could occur. Think about having a yardstick and attaching a 5 lb weight to the center of the stick. Now slam that stick so that the center hits the edge of the table. Not much will happen to the stick. Now move the weight to the far end and slam it again. There is a good chance of cracking the stick, don't you think. I believe that the same can happen with a boat. I will not add weight forward of my windshield, it is not worth the risk.

Do you honestly think that you can just keep adding weight and there not be any consequences? I've read posts where people added so much weight that the boat wouldn't get on plain. I am surprised that we haven't heard more sinking stories. Most all Wakeboard boats are overdesigned and can handle the "unapproved" extra weight. But there has to be a limit.
Old    the_squid            07-21-2003, 10:31 AM Reply   
Hey guys , did you hear of Ike's centurion breaking into 2 recently?
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-21-2003, 11:37 AM Reply   
My 1995 has some stress cracks in the area marked in red. They come out of the vent area and around. Do you think CC would fix this for free being that I'm the 3rd owner on an 8 year old boat?

cracks
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-21-2003, 2:09 PM Reply   
How in the world did Ike's Centurion break into 2?
Old    wuneyewilly            07-21-2003, 5:21 PM Reply   
Wake Fun...you did it now! All the Nautique owners that have been up Greg's butt in disbelief are headed ur way.

Let me be first to start it with...
you're a liar!
you're full of crap!
show me close-up pics of the cracks!
Nautique quality control would never...
the boat is really a re-badged Centurian or Bayliner!

LOL...does anyone realize that fiberglass is woven, long haired bondo w/ a resin topcoat? Anyone ever work on a vette? Fiberglass isn't like metal, it more readily flexes and is actually pretty brittle. Anything made of fiberglass (cars, boats, CC's, MC's, Reinell's...) can obtain stress cracks.

....let the FLAMES begin!
Old    whitechocolate            07-21-2003, 6:30 PM Reply   
Aaron: Don't talk Shizzle what are you talking about. Where did you see/hear this Let the bull shizzle begin!
Old    whitechocolate            07-21-2003, 6:31 PM Reply   
wuneryewilly- good one!
Old     (grwoolf)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-21-2003, 7:19 PM Reply   
I have a bunch of stess cracks on my 02 x-star. None around the tower, but probably 25 - 30 cracks along the rub-rail, cup holders, windshield, etc. I notice new ones constantly. My dealer says they will take care of it at the end of the season under warranty but I am concerned I got a bad batch of gel-coat or something and it will never stop. Time will tell. Other than the stress cracks, I love the boat. Also, the gelcoat is technically under Mastercraft warranty for only 1 year, not covered by the hull warranty. I made my dealer aware that the cracks were starting just before my 1 year warranty was done. They have promised to fix all the original and new cracks. Has anyone had a bunch of stess-cracks fixed on their boat? Could you tell where the cracks had been fixed? Did the color match exact?
Old    mconly            07-21-2003, 9:02 PM Reply   
If you have a good dealer with a good gelcoat guy don't worry. MasterCraft will stand behind the boat, and most of the dealers are great also.
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-22-2003, 7:02 AM Reply   
I too have seen stress cracks on a 99 Super Sport. My friends boat has stress cracks around the cleats, and at the back of the windsheild. As a matter of fact, another friend of mine has stress cracks on his 97 Air.

On the other hand, I had stress cracks around the tower mounts on my 02 Setter, but Skylon replaced the tower mounts because they were not fitting correctly, and Malibu fixed the cracks at the factory at no charge to me. They even had the boat delivered directly back to me, I didn't even have to go to my dealer to pick it up.
Old    debsxstar            07-22-2003, 7:25 AM Reply   
Grant, I wouldn't worry. I tam also taking my 02 xstar in to MC at the end of the season to have them fix the cracks in my gel coat. I just have then around my tower as i already mentioned. My tower is super tight now so I think it's ok. I'm also more careful now driving the boat in really choppy water.
Old    hlboatsnboards            07-22-2003, 7:39 AM Reply   
I never realized how many folks had problems with stress cracks. It made me go check out my boat and so far everything is ok. I regularly check my tower for tightness and maybe that is helping.

Bill
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-22-2003, 3:46 PM Reply   
I agree w/ Mconly. I had chip on the underside of my hull and a crack near the storage compartment. Both have been repaired, no trace of any repair.
Old    stormrider            07-22-2003, 5:31 PM Reply   
Man, the dock he hit must be really messed up!
Old    wakesetter05            07-28-2003, 12:10 PM Reply   
Grant, man get a freakin life! You make it sound like you know everything there is to know about a boat. Get a life and quit trying to make everything seem as if you are correct and the world is wrong.

This is the type of hate about this site. Just give a straight answer if you dont know anything about it shut up. Don't accuse someone of lying about something just to create a post.
Loser!