Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jboard1)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-19-2012, 8:34 AM Reply   
Hello everyone,
Walter V-drive question for anyone who may have some ideas for me. I have an '05 wakesetter VLX. Went out in the boat the other day for some riding and cruising. Everything ran fine and had no issues. After taking the boat out and letting it cool down, i checked all oil levels (quick history, i had the tranny rebuilt this past winter because of some issues, so now i always check oil levels). Anyhow, tranny fluid was good and engine oil was good, but the v-drive oil was bone dry (It was a sunny bright day, and i never did glance at the v-drive light by the throttle, but i imagine it must have been on if this was low/empty). There is definitely some milky looking oil in the hull of the boat as well. Does this mean my v-drive is leaking oil? If so, if i fill it up with oil, will it leak without running the boat or will i need to run the boat to find that out? If it is leaking, what areas are common for v-drive oil leaking? Any information would be appreciated moving forward. Thanks!

Jeff
Old     (wdr)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-19-2012, 9:12 AM Reply   
Jeff, I had to fix the sump pan and gasket on my '06 Walter VD due to a leak. There are 4x 9/16" nuts on the btm of the drive that holds the sump and vent/fill tube on. Mine was starting to weep and were barely hand tight when I checked it. No brainer to fix, I pulled mine and decked the surface due to a bad casting. There were 2 low spots at the 9/3 oclock spots on the sump that were adding to the leak. Cleaned everything, Loctited the studs, applied a thin line of RTV on the VD and sump, reapplied the gasket and torqued it all down. Unless you have little girl hands tighting it was the hardest part of the job! It should take just shy of 1 Qt of straight 30W oil. Never had a leak afterward, goodluck.
Old     (jboard1)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-19-2012, 9:26 AM Reply   
Bill thank you for the reply. I am not too familiar with the parts of the VD, so i was looking at this picture from the manual....

http://www.pearson424.org/manuals/VD...Page18_jpg.jpg

Is this an accurate picture? and if so, are you able to pin point on here where the sump pan and gasket are at?

Jeff
Old     (wdr)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-19-2012, 10:02 AM Reply   
Jeff, the sump bolt pattern and shape is a little different from my '06 but otherwise the same. 19B are the sump nuts (that were loose on mine) and there appears to be 8 of them on this schematic and 6B is the sump pan. 43S is the sump pick up tube w/ screen that you can see connects to the pump at 42B. You will have to loosen and disconnect it if you have to remove the sump pan. The gasket will be between (the pan 6B) and the VD. You need to check the output shaft seal area (D8) for leaks as well, it could come from that area if the seal is bad. You said you had the tranny rebuilt, so it could be loose trans cooler (44-6/44-7) or the pick up line (44-3) also. The only other place that I could think that it could be leaking would be where the trans/VD connect (2). Also check the trans cooler lines where they connect to the trans cooler (aft / strbd side) of the block. Discount the simple stuff first to save yourself some aggravation and time.
Old     (jboard1)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-19-2012, 10:18 AM Reply   
Bill, thanks for all the in-depth info. It is much appreciated. I am not the most mechanically inclined, but with this diagram and your input i at least have some things to look for before calling a mechanic. After looking at the Vdrive manual page again, i am noticing that there are two different diagrams. One that says "direct mount" (http://www.pearson424.org/manuals/VD...Page18_jpg.jpg) and then the other that says "independent mount" (http://www.pearson424.org/manuals/VD...Page16_jpg.jpg). Do you know which one the Wakesetter has? Or is there much of a difference?
Old     (wdr)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-19-2012, 10:36 AM Reply   
Jeff, if the sump is the issue it is literally a 2 wrench and torque wrench fix that most anyone could do with basic hand tools. As far as the direct mount goes, on pg 18 the VD is direct mounted to the trans (with out an idler assy). Page 16 shows the VD with an idler assy and a 12" drive shaft between the VD and trans which I doubt you have, my '06 didn't.
Old     (jboard1)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-19-2012, 10:39 AM Reply   
Thanks Bill. I am going to print out this page and try to take a peek at this next week sometime. I will fill it up with 30w oil and start checking for leaks. I will respond back with what i find. Again, thank you for your help!

Jeff
Old     (wdr)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-19-2012, 10:47 AM Reply   
Jeff, no problem glad to help out a fellow Bu owner and anyone else for that matter because Karma can be a b***h!
Old     (jboard1)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-19-2012, 10:53 AM Reply   
That is the truth. We have had way more than our fair share of issues with this boat, from pumps to tranny issues, to bad manifolds etc. The list goes on, and i really am hoping it is not going to cost another couple grand for this issue. Can't afford it anymore, so i am hoping i can figure it out myself (with your help of course). Finger crossed!
Old     (wdr)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-19-2012, 11:02 AM Reply   
Jeff, if you get on themalibucrew.com there are a couple Malibu/Indmar certified guys over there and alot of other people with years more experience with Malibu than me that could help you with anything else you might encounter. Good luck
Old     (jboard1)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-19-2012, 11:04 AM Reply   
I have skimmed across that site before but havn't signed into it yet. I will take a look at that if needed. Thanks.

Jeff
Old     (jboard1)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-20-2012, 10:10 AM Reply   
BIll, even though the boat ran fine, should i be worried about damaged to the vdrive since it was dry of oil when i checked after taking the boat out? Or could there possibly have been enough oil in the gears while we were boating and we just got lucky that we stopped at the right time?
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-21-2012, 5:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboard1 View Post
I have skimmed across that site before but havn't signed into it yet. I will take a look at that if needed. Thanks.

Jeff
The Crew will likely have all of the information you will ever need - a ton of good Malibu resources on there. Paid members get good discounts to a few good vendors...I've already saved well over my membership cost on stuff I was already going to order from those places anyway.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-21-2012, 11:58 PM Reply   
Wait... You have to pay to be a "member"? Please explain that one.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-22-2012, 5:57 AM Reply   
http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.p...al-and-reseal/
Old     (wdr)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-23-2012, 5:50 AM Reply   
Jeff, if I was in your position I would talk to a certified mechanic who I am sure will tell you to bring it in. Do I think there might be any damage yes probably, to what extent its hard to say. Best case is you normally don't drive it that hard and caught it early and the VD just got just really hot. Next possibility is that the seals may have gotten hot enough to melt and start leaking, worst case the races for the bearings could of been galled (should see metal in the trans fluid if this happened) and you are going to start having alignment issues with the internals its hard to say. I am not a mechanic but I have seen some stupid things done with no obvious adverse effects, but it is the things that you don't/can't see that will bite you in the a** at the worst possible time. I boat /surf on a river with 1100lbs+ of extra ballast in my LSV so my trans is taking more abuse than yours most likely, it would of scared me I would take it in. At a minimum I would ask a certified mechanic.
markj, anyone can join/lurk on TMC and get the benefits of experience for free, I did for about a year before I decided to join. There is alot of info on the site and a number of non-Malibu owners are over there as well. IIRC, being a paid member for $25.00 gets you a 1 year membership with a TMC sticker and you get X amount of space to post pictures of your rig and get Crew discounts from certain vendors. $50.00 a year and you get the sticker, a T shirt, the discounts and about half again more space to post pics etc. Go to the site for more details.
Old     (jboard1)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-24-2012, 6:28 AM Reply   
Thanks Bill. Taking it in later this week when he has an opening.
Old     (jboard1)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-24-2012, 8:01 AM Reply   
Harold,
Thanks for the link...those pictures are sure to help me today when i look at the drive for leaks. Although i wont remove the drive itself, i now know what to feel for under neath. Much appreciated.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-24-2012, 11:44 AM Reply   
No problem glad it helped.I have done a bunch of how to threads which can all be found in the DIY section on the centurion crew
Old    9Drozd            04-24-2012, 12:24 PM Reply   
A year ago i was in a similar situation. We were riding out to out spot, didn't notice the light on the dash as well as hadn't checked the v drive oil level in a while. Well We get to our spot, kill the motor, rider hops in, start the motor, put it in gear and motor dies. Seized up the mail bearing in the v drive and absolutely no oil in it. We rebuilt it and have had no problems ever since. So chances are if you've driven it a little while with little to no oil, I would definitely keep a watch on it.
Old     (jboard1)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-24-2012, 1:23 PM Reply   
Thanks Thomas. Yeah somehow we missed the light being on, on the dash as well. Probably just too excited from finally getting on the boat this year. Anyhow, i am really hoping we dodged a bullet by getting off the lake when we did and not seizing the engine. Praying it is just a slow leak through the gasket or something and by adding some oil, hopefully we wont seize it up. Taking it in to get looked at later this week, so we'll see how bad the issues is
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-28-2013, 12:20 PM Reply   
Jeff, this schematic might help also. Same drive, different view. 8 bolts on mine too. The red on the pic is the drain at the bottom port side of the sump pan that I've used to drain & change the oil. Don't have to do that yearly though as the plate on the v-drive says only every 500 hours.

Bill - Did you replace the sump gasket or just reapply the old one? Is a new one necessary? I have a sump leak and have to do this on mine too.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Walter V-Drive Schematic.pdf (825.5 KB, 839 views)
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-28-2013, 12:28 PM Reply   
Especially read 7-22-2007 post.
http://www.planetnautique.com/vb3/sh...il-leak/page2&