Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (RonBurgundy)      Join Date: Jun 2012       04-22-2013, 8:33 PM Reply   
Had my '12 Sanger V-215 for about 7 months and its time to get a good cover for the longer tows i'm starting to do. Saved a bit and contacted Cory at Evolution covers with my order and he emailed me back stating that he didn't have the measurement and to look elsewhere.

now that i'm back at square one anyone have recommendations? I found 3 V-215's with evolution covers and when I asked Cory about this I received no response......i was looking forward to becoming a customer but apparently they have no interest. Wouldn't they just want my measurements??? Pretty odd response from a company if you ask me.
Old     (ashjbrown)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-23-2013, 5:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBurgundy View Post
Had my '12 Sanger V-215 for about 7 months and its time to get a good cover for the longer tows i'm starting to do. Saved a bit and contacted Cory at Evolution covers with my order and he emailed me back stating that he didn't have the measurement and to look elsewhere.

now that i'm back at square one anyone have recommendations? I found 3 V-215's with evolution covers and when I asked Cory about this I received no response......i was looking forward to becoming a customer but apparently they have no interest. Wouldn't they just want my measurements??? Pretty odd response from a company if you ask me.
Try Bakes Marine in Issaquah Washington
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       04-23-2013, 7:03 AM Reply   
Best bet it too trailer uncovered if possible.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-23-2013, 1:23 PM Reply   
I would not tow a new boat long distance with a cover ...it will leave marks from rubbing in the wind. Unless I was towing in bad weather and figured it would be less damage overall.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-23-2013, 2:19 PM Reply   
I would think any place that does custom covers would be able to do it. If they want your business I bet they would be happy to measure it to as thats pretty common practice when making a cover for something!!!

But like others have said I wouldn't suggest towing with the cover on. Unless the thing fits like a glove it can do more harm than good. Any flapping and it's going to scuff the tower or take the paint off if its painted.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-23-2013, 3:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftskir View Post
I would not tow a new boat long distance with a cover ...it will leave marks from rubbing in the wind. Unless I was towing in bad weather and figured it would be less damage overall.
That sounds like something a person who does not own an evolution cover would say.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-23-2013, 3:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
That sounds like something a person who does not own an evolution cover would say.
I think it is true and false. No matter how good a cover is it is going to vibrate/rub on the gelcoat. The really nice strapless covers like Evolution and Rankin(not sure they are around anymore) do certain things to keep the rubbing to an absolute minimum but I still don't think it is realistic to think it won't rub. Also, towing with the cover will shorten the life of the cover in my opinion.

I would always tow with the cover off unless it is pouring rain or super dusty out.

Like someone else mentioned, contact Bakes Marine in Issaquah. They are great guys and are making custom sunnbrella strapless covers. I am not sure if they have the pattern but maybe they will be able to get it done. Keep in mind this is the absolute wrong time to try and figure this out. Spring and summer are coming and most boat service centers are swamped. I am surprised Cory would say that though. I have talked to him on the phone and he seemed like a great guy. Are you sure the V215's you have seen have Evolution covers or do they have Rankin? I believe Cory use to work for Rankin and they had a lot more patterns than Cory had I believe.

Last edited by polarbill; 04-23-2013 at 3:43 PM.
Old     (RonBurgundy)      Join Date: Jun 2012       04-23-2013, 4:43 PM Reply   
obvious some of the above members are thinking of older style covers with straps...

on a better note I received a call from Cory today.....turns out he was calling an old number for me and we couldn’t ever sync up. If anyone happens to have a V215 in the Seattle area a case of beer is on the table if you’ll let him take 30 minutes to make a stencil of your boat….he said it takes about 30 minutes.

It was awesome of Cory to take his time to chat with me and explained a new material potentially available as well if I can get a stencil boat for him.

Either way I will be exploring other options as well if this cannot pan out. From the evolution covers I have seen they are absolutely amazing so I would prefer their equipment
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-23-2013, 4:53 PM Reply   
Look up Hate and Pain on wakeworld. He lives about a half hour or 40 minutes north of where Cory does I believe. Maybe he could help you out. I think he has the older proflight tower so you would have to get measurements of yours for Cory.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-23-2013, 7:59 PM Reply   
I'm pretty sure if Cory was to design a V215 cover he'd soon have a ton of orders, including me.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-23-2013, 8:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
I think it is true and false. No matter how good a cover is it is going to vibrate/rub on the gelcoat. The really nice strapless covers like Evolution and Rankin(not sure they are around anymore) do certain things to keep the rubbing to an absolute minimum but I still don't think it is realistic to think it won't rub. Also, towing with the cover will shorten the life of the cover in my opinion.

I would always tow with the cover off unless it is pouring rain or super dusty out.

Like someone else mentioned, contact Bakes Marine in Issaquah. They are great guys and are making custom sunnbrella strapless covers. I am not sure if they have the pattern but maybe they will be able to get it done. Keep in mind this is the absolute wrong time to try and figure this out. Spring and summer are coming and most boat service centers are swamped. I am surprised Cory would say that though. I have talked to him on the phone and he seemed like a great guy. Are you sure the V215's you have seen have Evolution covers or do they have Rankin? I believe Cory use to work for Rankin and they had a lot more patterns than Cory had I believe.
Brett, I'm at least an hour tow from water and when we had our vride I towed covered every single time. Towed covered back and forth to shasta. Figure at least 60 hours behind the truck every year. And that cover held up great.

THis is what my boat looked like the day I sold it (after coming home from the lake the day before, you guessed it, towing covered):

so I'm not saying you are wrong, but I will say that it sounds like you haven't owned an evo cover either.