Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (smartin)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-13-2012, 8:56 AM Reply   
I currently have an X1 and have never been able to get that world class wake everyone talks about? Looking for some advise. Most of the time I ride with my wife and two kids not a lot of extra ballest there. Current set up two 500 sacs in the back 400 in the locker and I fill up 300-350 up in the nose. Ride at 23 mph 70 feet out. Nowhere near world class but ok. Any thoughts?
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-13-2012, 9:05 AM Reply   
Sounds to me like you need more up front. That hull likes weight upfront.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-13-2012, 9:06 AM Reply   
I rode a friends boat same hull and he had 750's in the rear lockers. And a 600~750 bag up front. It had crazy bow rise but the wake was killer!
I think in smaller or older boats you trade off wake size/quality when you take the family along
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-13-2012, 9:14 AM Reply   
David is right on....need more weight up front. I'd recommend the 1000 lbs bow sac up front with the set up you have in back. My buddy who has 750's in the back throws the 1000 lbs sac up front with another 400 lbs sac underneath. You can probably skip the 400 lbs sac underneath since you have less weight in back. I think the X-1 needs north of 3000 lbs to get a world class wake. Experiment around with it but, when in doubt, add weight to the front rather than the back.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-13-2012, 9:24 AM Reply   
You guys are all crazy... Scott what tricks are you working on? If I had an X1 1700-2000# would be enough, 1000 in back 750 up front sounds like it would be alright, those boats benefit from being weighted 60/40, so if you weight it 50/50 with sacs front to back, then add people you will usually hit the mark, another little bit of lead up front would probably be money.
Old     (smartin)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-13-2012, 9:29 AM Reply   
Thanks guys another concern if they are concerns is that I have the smaller engine of the two offered and the stock prop it came with not sure even what kind it is?
Old     (smartin)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-13-2012, 9:41 AM Reply   
The only tricks that I can do or working on is W2W grabs, 180s both heel and toe, and heelside bankrolls. I heard it was 40/ 60 not 60/40 if that is the case i have gone about it the wrong way for sure?
Old    sperbet            09-13-2012, 10:56 AM Reply   
The X-1 is real, real finicky when it comes to weight. We especially notice this with my friends. Just a few hundred pounds difference and the wake goes from awesome to soft, mushy and not awesome. If you want the world class bomber X-1wake you're going to have to go upward of 3k with about 1200-1500 in the nose. In my experience there is a huge, huge difference with the boat when you even go from around 2000-2500 up to 3000 or over. It seems to be the tipping point that really gets it kicking.

From your description you just need more weight period, both back and front. Emphasis on the front though as everyone here has stated.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-13-2012, 12:10 PM Reply   
Since no one has called it yet I will. A guy just learning going wake to wake n 180's claiming his wake ain't macking on one of the most legendary wakes on the market. Hilarious

Drop 750's in the rear and about 800 -1000in the nose and tell me how your trick progression happens. I prefer the steeper side of the wake so I run the low end of 800, but I ride at 80ft and 24.5 mph. As others mentioned get at least 600 in the nose with your 500's first , it will firm it up nicely and give you a nice hard crisp lip. If swapping to 750s isn't in the budget throw. 600lb sac across the floor in front of rear bench and another 600 in the walkway.......... Another option

Also small engine or big te torque curve at the bottom and for boarding speeds is almost identical. Get yourself an Acme 1235 if you have the tapered shaft or te 1285 if you have the splined shaft. Depends in year of your boat. Both props are identical. The factory prop won't push that weight out of the hole for nothing

Last edited by xstarrider; 09-13-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-13-2012, 12:54 PM Reply   
swat thinking the same thing. My wake is big with 450s in the back, full kgb, 400lbs of lead in the nose and a 400lb sack.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-13-2012, 12:59 PM Reply   
if youre just learning 180s id say thats easier to do on a smaller wake, save yourself the gas until you have an invert and ts, 180s and switch 180s down...
Old     (cboom12)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-13-2012, 1:24 PM Reply   
it should be a splined shaft as they did not make a tapered shaft by the time it became the x-1. Also the stock prop for an 06 or newer should be fine as they increased the pitch on all the boats that year. My riding partner had an 05 x2 and when he switched props he just bumped it up to what was already on the x1. 14.25 pitch i think but dont quote me on that. Granted we had the mcx but you still should be fine. 750's in the rear full kgb and like swat said around 800+ in the bow and it will be all the wake you'll ever need.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-13-2012, 1:34 PM Reply   
Just want to mention, have you thought about slowing down? I only have the rear ballast tanks in mine (ordering oops on the dealers part, don't have any control over left overs, will be fixed soon) and at 21 mph it is a pretty good wake. Now I am hardly Harley, but for simple stuff it is a great wake to learn on.

I guess it just all depends on preference and goals.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-13-2012, 1:37 PM Reply   
I agree willing to bet 21 at that weight would be better. If you like to ride fast and far back gotta add weight.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-13-2012, 1:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cboom12 View Post
it should be a splined shaft as they did not make a tapered shaft by the time it became the x-1. Also the stock prop for an 06 or newer should be fine as they increased the pitch on all the boats that year. My riding partner had an 05 x2 and when he switched props he just bumped it up to what was already on the x1. 14.25 pitch i think but dont quote me on that. Granted we had the mcx but you still should be fine. 750's in the rear full kgb and like swat said around 800+ in the bow and it will be all the wake you'll ever need.
Lot of people throw the x1 title out when looking for info but may have an older 205v version or XStar . Just wanted to cover the bases. I don't believe the x1 came stock with an OJ 14.25 prop. These wake props are very specific and performance wise would not work with a boat very well with no weight. You hit the rev limiter easily at wot. I am almost positive it would have a different prop. I could be wrong, but as far as factory props go that prop is not for everyone and will kill the performance of any other sport besides wakeboarding in a loaded boat. You lose on avg 5mph on the top end and your rpms run high.

Last edited by xstarrider; 09-13-2012 at 1:50 PM.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-13-2012, 1:52 PM Reply   
Thanks Swat. I hesitated to even reply to this thread since I've seen guys throw everything behind my X2 even empty.

Only issue I've seen is making sure the boat is somewhat equally weighted side to side.
Old     (cboom12)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-13-2012, 2:00 PM Reply   
Correction 2007 they changed to an OJ 14.25x14.5. Thats the prop my buddy had on his 05. Pulls 3000k plus a boat full of people no prob. Again that was with the mcx.
Old     (smartin)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-13-2012, 4:38 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the replies I do appreciate it. Also Swat thanks for your input too. I'm glad you found it Hilarious I found it frustrating at times that is why I ask for advise on how to weight the boat. Also just for the record I'm not complaning about the wake or the boat. I know what kind of wake it is capable of producing. Also I stated the only tricks I can do or working on.... I did not go into detail on which tricks I have down. I have my 180s but working on backrolls and hopefully 360s soon but that's another post. I agree with the above post on learning my jumps with a smaller wake as I did. Matt, my wake starts cleaning up at 22 mph the way its currently weighted at 70 feet. I have a 750 I will put in the bow next time out. I will put more weight in the nose and work my way back thanks for the advise. Much more weight than that I will need a different prop. My X-1 is a 2006.
Many years of experience on wake world thanks again!
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-13-2012, 5:31 PM Reply   
I've ridden an 03 x2 with stock ballast and like 4 people and I thought the wake was mackin... I meant 60% rear 40% front... From what I read some guys weight it even more stern biased... Check your line length and calibrated PP... sounds like you're reading fast