Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-02-2012, 1:40 PM Reply   
I just posted this on another thread that was getting out of control, but thought I'd better broadcast it to everyone in this forum (even though it only applies to a few people).

I'm getting really tired of the drama in the audio section with people loyal to one brand or dealer posting snide remarks about the competition and vice versa. It's juvenile, transparent, lame and a waste of my time. I've decided to just start booting people that are a bigger pain in my ass than I have time to deal with. Call me a forum Nazi if you want, but I don't have to time to deal with adults that get butt hurt because they don't agree with someone else's opinion or they don't like the way someone conducts themselves on the forums. Posting here is a privilege, so if you want to continue to enjoy that privilege, show some respect to other forum members and the guy who has to deal with moderating your idiocy (me)!
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-02-2012, 2:06 PM Reply   
Like like like like like..

Thanks Dave for the forum for all these years.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-02-2012, 2:38 PM Reply   
If you could get people to stop arguing about which boat is best and which stereo equipment was the best that would be awesome!!!!! I think this board has lost a lot of good members over the last 1-2 years with all the squabbling going on about the best boat and best stereo equipment. I like drama as much as the next guy, but it does get a little ridiculous. I will do my part to abide by your wishes and hope everyone else will.
Kind of reminds me of the Brad Paisley video "so much cooler on line" with Jason Alexander in it.
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-02-2012, 7:31 PM Reply   
I unsubscribed for a month cuz I let the haters and miserable people get to me. Got tired of posting and people attacking me for having an opinion different from there own. But I ultimately missed the discussion about our sport and the good people on here. But as Dave said above, some people don't know how to be respectful and that's a shame.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-02-2012, 8:05 PM Reply   
Wakeworld is a business. I'm not sure I consider it a "privilege" to explore the forum. I dont consider it a privilege to roll into a wake shop and consider a purchase or talk to the employees about products. The forum is not near what it used to be. I do feel the adds and articles have really improved over the years. It just seems like more and more idiots showing up in the forum with little to no respect for other members.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-02-2012, 8:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendo247 View Post
Wakeworld is a business. I'm not sure I consider it a "privilege" to explore the forum. I dont consider it a privilege to roll into a wake shop and consider a purchase or talk to the employees about products. The forum is not near what it used to be. I do feel the adds and articles have really improved over the years. It just seems like more and more idiots showing up in the forum with little to no respect for other members.
Yup, seems like this has been the trend with all forums unfortunately. power stroke.org has gone way downhill in the past couple years. I rarely log in anymore, and I had like 2k posts....I was really involved. WW is the only one I still check out, seems that it isn't as bad as the other ones, AND there are always sweet pictures of boats thats what keeps me around

Dave you are a cool dude. Keep it up.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-02-2012, 8:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Wake world is a privilege, what work do you do for the site or money do you contribute to keep it running? Probably post and take free advice just like the rest of us, right? Dave doesn't have to provide an online forum, he could operate a strict website with that didn't include the member section...

Thanks Dave for all you've done. I've come and gone a few times, happy to be back for the time being...
Old     (codykauz)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-02-2012, 9:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Richard Coop (mendo247) Join Date: Mar 2005 Today, 7:05 PM Reply Quick Reply

You should consider it a privilege because I can assure you that if you walk into a Supra dealership and start spouting off about how everybody there is wasting there time and money by not buying a Mastercraft (which is what happens here) then you will be "asked" to leave. If it isn't a right, then its a privilege, and Dave, just like any other business owner, has the RIGHT, to refuse business to anyone, at any time, for any reason.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-02-2012, 9:30 PM Reply   
How exactly do you moderate Dave? I'm just curious if you read all posts threads etc. . .
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-02-2012, 9:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by codykauz View Post
You should consider it a privilege because I can assure you that if you walk into a Supra dealership and start spouting off about how everybody there is wasting there time and money by not buying a Mastercraft (which is what happens here) then you will be "asked" to leave. If it isn't a right, then its a privilege, and Dave, just like any other business owner, has the RIGHT, to refuse business to anyone, at any time, for any reason.
Exactly my point. Sounds like something people on this forum would do.

Privilege:

a right, immunity, or benefit enjoyed only by a person beyond the advantages of most:

It's not a privilege to post here.

Having managed a company I'd say it's a privilege to service my customers. I understand servicing your customers may require losing others lol
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-02-2012, 10:31 PM Reply   
Wakeworld endorses a universal sport (like tennis) and not a brand (like Supra).

So if you want to come in here to talk about a Brand (like Supra), there is nothing wrong with that.
Just express your opinion or experience as just that, and not as the Law around here.

PM each other if you want a bar fight. IMO
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-02-2012, 11:21 PM Reply   
This "boats and accessories" group is the only one I check out. I'm interested to see which thread on the audio group went out of control.
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       07-03-2012, 4:31 AM Reply   
I'm just amazed by the fact how disrespectful even this thread has become and that Dave has been attacked by stating rather basic things my mother told me a long time ago and I still hold high in my values. Respect people, treat them decent, give them space and be critical of yourself first instead of others.

Dave is moderating a forum and spends likely countless hours to maintain, moderate and unfortunately at times to police it. If he makes money off it to offset cost and hopefully get some money extra for a boat, board and bindings - good for him. The internet isn't free and neither is his work/time he devotes to this. I'm almost surprised that he hasn't shut the forum down for a few days so we appreciate things again we take for granted ...

As Chattwake has said not too long ago - thanks Dave for everything here - I wasn't chipping in back then but would like to catch up on something I should have done then - my apologies.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-03-2012, 4:47 AM Reply   
wait a minute...if DW enforces this, then traffic in the boats and accessories forum will go to zero because this forum is all about winning the internet with our opinionated facts. DW will then lose advertising dollars that keep the forum open because there is no return on investment, and the forum will shut down... please let us all be right!
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-03-2012, 5:51 AM Reply   
Some of this controversy simply HAS to be good for the site. David Williams knows that after running this thing for so long. The more heated threads get easily double the amount of site traffic, thus banner views, thus a percentage of clicks, so this will be a hugely subjective thing that is up to Dave and his moderators to enforce.

*** whispers the word "Tige" ***
*** whispers the word "cable" ***
*** tells a story about the 2013 X-Star ***

Ha, ha, ha - sorry, I had to.

And just while I'm here, I don't see the site necessarily as a "privilege" either., That's really a stretch. According to the definition it is more of a privilege to gather knowledge from the community of posters. So it's the community that gathers around it, not the domain (ask MySpace). But that being said, this site has been around for a long time, it is no joke legit, and I am at the very least THANKFUL that it exists and that David Williams has put so much work into it keeping it alive, healthy, evolving - and that the community here isn't full-on uppity, nor full-on goober. I fall somewhere in the middle. So when I post about how I feel about a certain plastic boat manufacturer, or scream about some stupid thing, someone is there to yell at me and 3 posts down from that someone is agreeing. So that's why I stay.

Long live WakeWorld.
Viva La WakeWorld.
Stay awesome, WakeWorld community.

Last edited by boomshot; 07-03-2012 at 6:01 AM.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-03-2012, 6:12 AM Reply   
So on this very thread someone posts a comment/opinion, and immediately after people read the first 5 words, (mis)-interpret it in their own way, and go after the poster.....
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-03-2012, 6:20 AM Reply   
I'll agree that some random drama is fun, and keeps me coming back to this site (LON, LONvisible, Ryan's XStar, etc.). However, I can totally understand the difference between a bunch of random boat owners razzing each other and dealers or dealer reps fighting with each other over their products.

Dave deleted something I posted a while back, and then took the time to send me a very polite email explaining why he did it in response to a pm I sent him. Most mods don't take the time to do things like that. Kudos to you Dave. Keep up the good work.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-03-2012, 6:28 AM Reply   
I don't have the time or care to google the definition of "privilege" but it sounds like a good word to me to describe what I consider it. Without this site I would have about a 10th of the knowledge I now have on all things wake.
Thanks David.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-03-2012, 6:37 AM Reply   
I'm sure Dave W. has no intentions of sensoring the forum. Alternate opinions are great. Sometimes we strongly disagree with the opinions of others but we show a little respect and tolerate them. It is the adult thing to do. It doesn't mean that we can't keep on giving our opinions or supplying more information.
But discussions go south when someone feels their personal status has been threatened or they retaliate for something said against their brand of choice, etc. When they launch a personal attack and character assasination against the member designed to specifically diminish their opinion or diminish their standing then that crosses the line IMO.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-03-2012, 6:42 AM Reply   
personally attacking someone for no reason = bad.

personally attacking someone for repeatedly saying dumb stuff = wakeworld.

IMHO most of the "audio wars" are really proxy wars among minions for brand x or brand y. The manufacturers themselves direct these battles from the sidelines but don't throw mud themselves on the forums so as to stay above the fray. The feigned umbrage is pretty funny.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-03-2012, 7:04 AM Reply   
What shawndoggy is saying about forum politics is absolutely true in many cases. A brand can be stirring the pot from behind the scenes enlisting pawns to take up the cause. And, many others are drinking the koolaid by the buckets full and don't need much prompting. Some are defending brands. Some are defending regional or personal associations. Some are desperate to defend their own status. In any case, it's wrong when they turn the debate into something abusive.
Old     (seangriswold)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-03-2012, 8:21 AM Reply   
I am just gonna say to Dave I enjoyed the Workaholics reference in your first post....Butt hurt...made me chuckle... Keep up the good work!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-03-2012, 9:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Just because it's a privilege to participate in this forum does not mean it isn't a privilege for me to have so many great people participating in the forum. 99.999999% Of the people that come to this forum are great folks and they are what make this forum so amazing. You have no idea how cool it was to wakeboard at TSR last weekend with Jarrett Eubanks, an eleven year member of this forum that I've never met in person until now, after reading thousands of his posts over the years! However, in order for me to continue to enjoy that privilege and in order to me to provide an opportunity for forum members to enjoy the privilege of participating in the forum, I sometimes have to revoke the privileges of the bad apples.

If you want to go with the shop analogy, I do consider it a privilege to go into a local shop that I enjoy and I wouldn't jeopardize that experience by being annoying and mouthing off to other customers to the point that the shop owner throws me out on my butt and tells me not to return.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-03-2012, 10:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
So on this very thread someone posts a comment/opinion, and immediately after people read the first 5 words, (mis)-interpret it in their own way, and go after the poster.....
Who/what is everyone whining about with this thread attacking anybody/any thing.

I support what D.W. said. I really do. With my clicks abd visits and my dollars at times. But sometimes, the worst thing for a thread is when things get just a little bit punchy - for the diaper patrol to come in whining about how someone is "arguing". It makes matters worse.

I have developed thick skin when it comes to the internet over the years, and sometimes I find it astonishing how a lot of folks haven't.

That said I will play by the rules too.