Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (padawaan)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-05-2014, 7:29 PM Reply   
which one would be a better all around boat for wakeboarding and surfing they are the same price and have the same hours. the x1 needs the seats recovered and is twice as far away so will cost more to get here.
Old     (jwl019)      Join Date: Aug 2014 Location: N.E. Louisiana       09-05-2014, 8:02 PM Reply   
I have a 01 Wakesetter VLX and I have really enjoyed it over the years, same hull all the way up to 04. I can't speak for the MC but I do know the hull is the same as some of their older boat models. I surf my VLX with no problems and with wedge, stock ballast full, 400 on floor by back seats and a 400 sac in the bow it throws a pretty good surf wave. I have also made some home aid gates for it so I weight it pretty even. I no longer wakeboard but have buddies that have no problems doing flips, etc behind it with stock ballast and wedge down.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-05-2014, 8:28 PM Reply   
Wakesetter vlx or sunsetter vlx?
Old     (jwl019)      Join Date: Aug 2014 Location: N.E. Louisiana       09-06-2014, 6:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Wakesetter vlx or sunsetter vlx?
Forgot to mention that! There are 2 hull types on the VLX, wake and diamond. If your looking at a Sunsetter it will most likely be diamond which is better for slalom but it can be weighted down for wakeboard and surf too.
Old     (padawaan)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-06-2014, 7:38 AM Reply   
the ad says wakesetter vlx does that mean its the wake hull or should I ask what hull it has. im leaning toward it over the x1 because the x1 is in Florida so I don't know if its been in the salt water or not even though the ad says all freshwater use.
Old     (jwl019)      Join Date: Aug 2014 Location: N.E. Louisiana       09-06-2014, 8:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by padawaan View Post
the ad says wakesetter vlx does that mean its the wake hull or should I ask what hull it has. im leaning toward it over the x1 because the x1 is in Florida so I don't know if its been in the salt water or not even though the ad says all freshwater use.
If it's a true Wakesetter then it has the wake hull, but I would probably ask just to see.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       09-06-2014, 8:32 AM Reply   
John, if u go to malibcrew somewhere on there is a pic of what the two hulls look like at the back so can know for sure when u see the boat. I have a wake setter vlx but The inside coast guard tag says sun scape. Pretty sure Malibu just gr;abs whatever they have laying around. My boat surfs great with a huge wave. Not as long and far back as a deeper hull will get you but its what I could afford and works well enough for me
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-06-2014, 6:44 PM Reply   
In all honesty you can't go wrong with either. I use to own a 2000 x-star, same hull as the x-1, and I ride behind a vlx weekly. Both are great boats with great surf and wakeboard wakes. It's all about personal preference so I would test drive both before making a purchase. I would be cautious of a 2006 boat that need reupholstered already. From my experience, if someone didn't take care of the interior they probably didn't take care of other parts of the boat like the gel coat or the oil changes. However, the x1 may be a better buy for the money because it should be worth more.
Old     (padawaan)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-27-2014, 8:13 PM Reply   
the salesman said the two hulls preform the same up to 26 mph then the diamond hull lifts out of the water and the wake hull doesn't, is this true? its a diamond hull.

Last edited by padawaan; 09-27-2014 at 8:16 PM. Reason: added information
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-28-2014, 1:25 AM Reply   
No not true, ime the diamond hull needs A LOT more weight to jack the wake than the wake hull. Not sure how the diamond surfs.